New Voip possible skype killer?

LiquidSquid
Go to solution Solved by Nikht_Revan_S539,

Its free as for now 

However, that can change.

As you say, it's in alpha right now and many changes can be made considering if they want to make money off of it or if they drop it.

Yes it is if i get in skype call with you i can have your ip within minutes 

Uh no, not if you're in a call. As long as you can find them on Skype: http://www.wikihow.com/Find-the-IP-Address-of-a-Skype-User

So unless this is changed, you don't even need to be friends with someone.

ts is ugly. and it takes money for a server 

I posted my three questions, I'd very much like them answered. You have not shown one bit of information proving this as a "Skype killer".

The Razor one works the best really. I just have no friends to talk to.

I know the feels.

I too, am lacking the friends. :(

i quite enjoy Razer Coms since they've released the community groups find it rather nice.

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

This looks really cool so far kind of like a mix between slack and ts3, they have the right idea just need to fix all the bugs and polish it up.

ts is ugly. and it takes money for a server 

Mumble is free.  

Mumble > TS IMO

This actually looks more like a competitor to Slack rather than Skype. The integration of text/voice and the group management options are a big difference imo. They also said they plan on doing integration like Slack sometime in the future. 

Hey EChondo - 

I'm the CEO and a developer on Discord. I thought I'd answer your questions :-)

First things first, while I very much appreciate the OP's enthusiasm, we are not setting out to "kill Skype." But I do think that Skype is horrible for gaming use. We *are* setting out to replace Skype as a VOIP app for your gaming friends. We aren't trying to get anyone to do office work (screen sharing) or call their mom.

As for your questions:

1. Discord is not P2P. It's a client / server architecture but very unlike TeamSpeak/Mumble. It's more like a normal website or app in that regard. You just visit the site or launch our app and you're connected. We run on a cloud that has multiple data centers around the world where we host the actual voice servers. You can easily change your region if you want with <1s downtime. We even do this automatically in case of a ddos on that region. Your IP address is completely hidden too - no one can discover it (unlike Skype). This is a huge issue for streamers.

2.  Discord is voice and text, no video at this time. Our goal is to fix the fragmented mess of communication apps that gamers have deal with. I personally used to use SMS, Skype, and Facebook messenger to coordinate with my gaming friends. Now it's just Discord. There are some legit uses of video for gaming (not streaming) and we're discussing how/when to support that.

3. We don't have a compact UI option yet, but it's a heavily requested feature. We're building an in-game overlay now. It's very likely that we'll offer that as a "simple" UI option even outside of playing a game since it's very compact.

I hope that helps clarify. We're a very accessible and open bunch of developers just trying to make something awesome. Our roadmap is heavily influenced by feedback from our early users. So these kinds of questions are great.

Feel free to ask more if you have any. I man our twitter account http://twitter.com/discordapp too and can be reached there.

Thanks for the interest!

- jason citron

- founder/ceo

- discordapp.com

Okay, hold on. A few questions and then my explanation for these questions;

1. Is this P2P or requires a server to connect to?

2. Is this just voice and text communication?

3. Is there a simple UI option?

1. Personally I prefer Teamspeak due to my ability to host my own privately, but it's nice to have P2P alternatives/temporary server use.

2. You mentioned it's a "Skype" killer? So does this do video? Because the only thing Skype has going for it is video communication. If Discord can do video and it's P2P then yeah I'd consider this a Skype killer, but I see nothing about video communications in your YouTube video.

3. The UI is absolutely huge. I would not use this at all based on the fact that the UI is that big. If this can be smaller/less space consuming then disregard this complaint.

This looks like it could be a great program to use, as long as it stays free. I know you said that they plan to do skin/voice packs, but I have voice and skin packs for free for Teamspeak  and Teamspeak is free* :/

*Yes, I know you need a server, but there are plenty of public ones to use and I'm sure you can find community and private servers to use as well.

Hey EChondo - 

I'm the CEO and a developer on Discord. I thought I'd answer your questions :-)

Feel free to ask more if you have any. I man our twitter account http://twitter.com/discordapp too and can be reached there.

Thank you for the reply and answers. It's great to see another option for communications online and it looks like you gals/guys are doing right with Discord.

Best of luck and I'll be sure to follow it's development.