Computer won't start, PSU clicks

This is my first build, and when I got everything put together and pressed the power button, it wouldn't come on (nothing on screen).  The fans were running (including the CPU cooler), a light would appear on the GPU, and the lights on the case worked.  The PSU would continously click until I powered the machine off.  After reading up, my thought was that it might be a bad motherboard.  I disconnected everything from the PSU except the mobo, and same clicking.  Thinking it might be some sort of circuitry issue with the board, I removed everything and set the motherboard out by itself (didn't remove the CPU).  Now when connecting the PSU to it, absolutely nothing happens.  It doesn't seem to do anything when I connect it to the GPU either. 

I don't have any parts to cross check with.

Is it a defective PSU, motherboard, both, neither?

Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xYFzwP

hmmm

I think you should try to see if the PSU powers on in another computer system. Or have the computer speaker hooked up and listen for a error code or if your mobo has it check the phase LEDs.

It can also be as simple as the connections not properly installed. Check your power cable on the PSU too.

Can also try breadboarding your system.

Take out the MOBO

Put the CPU/Fan in

1 stick of ram

Connect CPU and mobo to PSU

Then touch the 2 power switch pins with screwdriver to power on.

No power? Most likely the PSU maybe even the mobo

If it powers on, add the GPU next and so on. HDD's last Keep on doing it until it doesn't power on

Double check all the connections between the components before diagnosing it as a PSU issue. Happened to me before 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro