Need help connecting to network

Background: I decided to upgrade my MSI laptop (msi gt70 2oc 096us). So I added more ram (that went fine) and I added an SSD and a 2TB HDD so I could no longer use my stock HDD (because I only have 2 drive bays). After failed attempts of installing the OS I decided to just buy a new version of windows 8.1 and install it on my SSD. That all worked fine Windows 8.1 is installed on the SSD

The problem: I cannot connect to the internet for the life of me and I would love some help. I tried going into the network options to add a network and just couldn't get it to work since I don't know what half the stuff they're asking for is.

The info I have: I am trying to connect to a 2.4GHz wireless network, I do have an Ethernet cable I can plug in, I have a wireless SSID and a wireless passcode.

If someone knows where I go and what to do that would be very useful.

You probably don't have the wireless driver installed, plug in your ethernet cable and go to MSi's website, you can find all the latest drivers for your laptop there, download the Wifi drivers from there and install them.

Once you've installed them, reboot your laptop and then click on the network icon with the ethernet cable unplugged, and you should be able to choose your wireless router as you normally would.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

So to add to my problems, my laptop doesn't recognize the ethernet cable (which works fine, I'm using it to write this post on my desktop) and I'm faced with 2 options when I click on the network icon in the bottom right. Either I click troubleshooting which doesn't help at all or I click view connection settings.

When I click view connection settings I come to a page with several options the default one being connections saying add a VPN connection

Then when I click add a VPN connection I'm faced with several blanks to fill out, which I don't have the information to fill out.

So to add to my problems, my laptop doesn't recognize the ethernet cable (which works fine, I'm using it to write this post on my desktop) and I'm faced with 2 options when I click on the network icon in the bottom right. Either I click troubleshooting which doesn't help at all or I click view connection settings.

When I click view connection settings I come to a page with several options the default one being connections saying add a VPN connection

Then when I click add a VPN connection I'm faced with several blanks to fill out, which I don't have the information to fill out.

I was under the impression that you had no other system available, but if you have a desktop then use that to download the drivers for your laptop and then transfer them to the laptop using a flash drive. If you don't have a flash drive then see if you can borrow one or burn the files to a CD if you can.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium

I was under the impression that you had no other system available, but if you have a desktop then use that to download the drivers for your laptop and then transfer them to the laptop using a flash drive. If you don't have a flash drive then see if you can borrow one or burn the files to a CD if you can.

God I can be so dumb some times.

God I can be so dumb some times.

LMAO, that 's funny. :D But don't worry about it, I've had similar derps before, I spent over an hour looing for my glasses once only to realise that I had been wearing them the entire time. :D

So that still didn't work. The LAN driver straight up won't install saying it's the wrong version of windows. The wireless driver seems to have installed, but the wireless icon never appeared in the bottom right corner. I went into control panel to try and connect that way and that still didn't work. When I go to connect to the internet it says windows did not detect any networking hardware and when I go to set up a new network no routers or access points are detected.

Well, that's odd, are you running a 64bit version of Windows 8.1? And is the ethernet the Killer Bigfoot one? If it is, then could you try using the cleaning tool inside the zip file and then reboot and reinstall the drivers.

As for the Wireless, could you try uninstalling the drivers, and then go into Device Manager and uninstall the drivers from there as well, reboot your laptop and then install the latest drivers off the website and try again?

Make sure you choose Win 8.1 64bit from the drop down list here if it doesn't link correctly to the Win 8.1 drivers.

For the LAN I tried the cleaner (still didn't work) and then tried re downloading and trying to install it again, it still says: Your hardware is not supported on this Windows version. The installer can not continue. 

As for the wireless it's still not working, but this time it installed something it didn't before the Intel PROset/Wireless Tools which I can use to diagnose my hardware and wireless connection. When I run the diagnosis several test pop up (hardware, driver, radio, scan, association, authentication, signal, ping) right away the hardware test fails saying Wireless Hardware is not bound to transport driver. If you want anymore test results I can get them for you.

So either I can keep trying to solve this with the forums or just go to the store I bought the laptop and everything I've used for the upgrade to see if they can get me internet connection.

Are you running Windows 8.1 64bit? Or are you running the 32bit version? You can check by going to Control Panel-->System & Security-->System and looking at "System Type"

If you're running a 32bit version of Windows then you really should install the 64bit version, but if you can't then download the 32bit drivers for Windows 7, and install them by setting compatibility mode to Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

That error is so unbelievably generic that there is literally nothing useful that can help diagnose what is going on.

Can you try something else please?

Right click on the Windows logo in the bottom left of the screen and click on Device Manager.

In the window that opens can you go to Network Adapters and expand the list to show the options there. (If there are any with a yellow triangle can you let me know what they are)

Now right click on the WiFi card and click on Properties.

In the window that opens can you go to the Details tab and in the drop down list can you change the option to Hardware IDs, and then copy the top PCI\VEN ID here and then I can try and find what the actual WiFi card is and find the correct drivers for you.

do the same for your Wired Ethernet device and I can try and find the correct drivers for you, I have a feeling that the drivers you think you need and that I think you need are wrong, and we need to find the correct ones or we'll be going round in circles.

I am definitely using 64bit. As for the network adapters there is nothing clearly labeled WiFi, there's just  Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) and Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI).

I am definitely using 64bit. As for the network adapters there is nothing clearly labeled WiFi, there's just  Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) and Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI).

Is there a WiFi disable/enable button on the laptop? Or do you think you might have knocked the WiFi antennas loose when you upgraded the laptop?

Can you take a screenshot of Device Manager and upload it please so that I can see what you're seeing, it might help us figure it out better, in fact, can you take a screenshot of the whole screen please?

I doubt the antennas are loose since WiFi on my laptop was working after I had already installed ram, and installed the SSD (which I had to put in the bay with the stock drive meaning I had to move the stock one to the 2nd bay). And since then I've only taken out the stock drive to get windows on the SSD before I put in the new HDD.

http://postimg.org/image/j49lwhftp/

I can see more of what's going on now, can you right click on Ethernet Controller in Device Manager and go to properties, then go to Details, and then in the drop down list can you change it to Hardware IDs and then copy the first PCI\VEN ID please?

Do this for all of the devices with a yellow triangle, that way I can figure out what drivers you actually need. Cheers

Alright here we go

Ethernet Controller: PCI\Ven_1969&DEV_E091&SUBSYS_10EC1462&REV_13

Network Controller: PCI\Ven_168C&DEV_0034&SUBSYS_20031A56&REV_01

PCi Device: PCI\Ven_10ec&DEV_5227&SUBSYS_10EC1462&REV_01

PCI Simple Communications Controller: PCI\Ven_8086&DEV_8C3A&SUBSYS_10EC1462&REV_04

SM Bus Controller: PCI\Ven_8086&DEV_8C22&SUBSYS_10EC1462&REV_05

If you want all the other with a yellow triangle just ask (I was a bit confused and didn't want to write them all down if you only need those ones)

Okay, first off, can you download from MSi's website here the Intel Chipset Drivers for Windows 8.1 64bit please? Reboot and then download and install the Intel Management Engine Driver, and then the Killer Ethernet Driver, and then the RealTek Card Reader driver.

You apparently have an Atheros WiFi card, not an Intel WiFi card, which is why the drivers off the website wouldn't work, can you uninstall the Intel WiFi drivers for now and we'll come back to that once you've done the rest? Cheers

When I try to install the Chipset Driver I just get an error message which says This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software. Setup will exit.

The minimum requirements are: Operating systems (good), 64MB of Ram (obviously good), 5MB of hard disk space (good unless it doesn't like SSDs), operating system is fully installed, close any running application (good), install before other drivers are installed (good). So the only thing that could be wrong is the chipset not being the right one. It says To see the list of supported chipsets, refer to the Release Notes.

Are you absolutely certain that your laptop is a GT70 2OC 096US? Cause that is the one I linked you to, and none of those drivers are working, so you simply cannot have that model of laptop, and the thing that seals it for me is that you don't have an Intel WiFi card, you're using an Qualcomm/Atheros WiFi card, so you must have a different model.

I am 99.99999999999999999999999999% positive that my laptop is that model. I am certain that's what is says on the box, but I could double check, it would take a while to dig the box out again.

I am 99.99999999999999999999999999% positive that my laptop is that model. I am certain that's what is says on the box, but I could double check, it would take a while to dig the box out again.

It would be best if you could double check, if it is the same laptop then I'm stumped, and maybe a fresh install of Windows and downloading only the drivers you need before anything else might help.

I'm going to bed now cause it's nearly 2:30AM here, so I'll try to respond tomorrow, good luck in the meantime, and hopefully you can get it fixed soon. :)

alright, on the box it says MKT:GT70 2OC-096US. Not only that, but the laptop in the picture on the website looks exactly the same, and all the stock specs are the same, and all the models of components are the same (GTX 770M, intel core i7-4700MQ, etc.)

I'll try doing a fresh install of windows

Well I found the driver CD that came with the laptop (didn't even know I had it considering no one told me about it at Christmas) so I installed the drivers from there. The Ethernet driver still didn't work so I guess it's the windows I'm running, not the driver. As for the driver CD MSI stupidly bundled the Ethernet with the wireless and Bluetooth drivers so I had to download on my desktop and transfer it over. Still never getting any sort of connection to my router.

I think at this point I just want to be done dealing with this laptop after all the stupid things that have happened when doing this upgrade so I think I'll just take it into the store and hope they can solve it.

Thanks for trying to help me though :D

Well I found the driver CD that came with the laptop (didn't even know I had it considering no one told me about it at Christmas) so I installed the drivers from there. The Ethernet driver still didn't work so I guess it's the windows I'm running, not the driver. As for the driver CD MSI stupidly bundled the Ethernet with the wireless and Bluetooth drivers so I had to download on my desktop and transfer it over. Still never getting any sort of connection to my router.

I think at this point I just want to be done dealing with this laptop after all the stupid things that have happened when doing this upgrade so I think I'll just take it into the store and hope they can solve it.

Thanks for trying to help me though :D

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having issues, but I agree that you're probably better off taking it to someone who is nearby and can help you better.

I was hoping that we could help you solve your problem, but it wasn't to be unfortunately, good luck with getting it working though, and if you have any more problems then don't be afraid to drop by and ask, there's always someone willing to try and help. :)