[UPDATED] GSYNC Hack on most laptops(eDP) and potentially desktop too?

rcarlos243

A tool has just been released that enables GSYNC on potentially any laptop that uses NVIDIA gpu.

According to the author

At the moment the G-tools Beta 2 only works with the LG Panel, and with a similar 3K/4K one. I was working on this because I don’t know all the panels and it is because NV provided a specific list of panels that could work with the Gsync on their kernel drivers. I’m working on adding more and more panels, but it is not that easy due to what happened in the past and I don’t have the same access to the NV drivers anymore aka SDK, no right...

Future versions of the G-tools will add a few things.

• 2 different versions for Win 8 and Win 10 x64
  • Support multiple panels (at the moment only LG IPS 1080P, 3K/4K)
  • Right permissions to the Kernel Drivers/Core Drivers
  • Set new strings that NV doesn’t want to share
  • Set new functions/routines to improve the execution of Gsync, DSR and game execution
  • Will work with AMD Freesync + NVIDIA Gsync
  • Expecting all drivers compatible

I confirm that the G-tools Beta 2 works on the old Asus G751 revision, MSI GT72 for example, Clevo (without G-sync sticker), Aorus, etc..

Update 1

I have a good news for all the TN/IPS panel users, other than LG.

Now the G-sync with the G-tools Beta 2 should work on every eDP laptop with or without the LG Panel (G-tools beta 2 needed for now) and should work with Freesync panel (+ NVIDIA GPU) too ;).

Thanks to all the users who sent their EDID inf from TN/IPS panels other than LG (I received a few confirmations that the TN/IPS eDP users who doesn’t have a LG Panel can now have the G-sync with EDID patch + G-tools Beta 2 that I sent to them)

DP + eDP signal only at the moment, that mean Freesync monitor or Korean monitor that come with eDP signal, old DP will be later after resolving few stuff, old DP need rewrite payload.

With this it GSYNC could work on any laptop that has NVIDIA GPU and uses eDP interface for the monitor.

It could also potentially work with monitor that doesn't have a scaler chip (QNIX QX2710).

LINK: http://gamenab.net/2015/06/28/good-news-g-tools-beta-2/

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

didn't it always work on laptops?

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

This would be really awesome. I so happen to own a QNIX QX2710 (Bought it off ebay from korea awhile back) and if i could enable Gsync on it I would save a ton of money.

didn't it always work on laptops?

You have to have a shiny GSYNC badge from NVIDIA for it to officially work or more specifically manufacturers buy GSYNC license from NVIDIA and the license key is stored on the computers BIOS (like windows 8 key on most laptop) otherwise GSYNC won't even appear even if you have an eDP laptop.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

feels like  nvidia will just eventually work on most certified scalers since these arnt special (no RAM nonsense)

they will just stick with it for royalties :/

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Oh, this guy again... During the time that the leaked ASUS alpha driver enabled Mobile G-SYNC on some laptops, he repackaged the driver and tried to pass it off as his own work, claiming credit for his "G-SYNC hack" that would allow you to use G-SYNC on any DisplayPort monitor (even on desktop displays without a module). Demonstrating both dishonesty and a complete lack of understanding of how G-SYNC functions.

I wouldn't pay attention to anything from him. Even if it works I doubt it's something he came up with or did himself.

AS far as I've seen it he's tweaked the drivers to allow him to enable gsync, but it's actually doing nothing. And he's running windowed lol wtf. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Found this

We started looking into this over at PCPer. There are some glaring issues with this guys thinking / results:
He claims the Altera FPGA was chosen because of its 'security features', but it's really nothing more than a SHA-1 engine that could be enabled (an FPGA is meant to be a programmable device with all sorts of uses, and some of those uses might include wanting hardware SHA-1 processing). GSYNC doesn't SHA-1 encrypt the bitstream and these GSYNC FPGA's are very likely not touching that optional portion of the chip.
His first 'proof' video was shot with a game running in a window. G-SYNC / adaptive sync doesn't work that way (full screen only).
Aside from the fact that it is very hard to actually show differences between VSYNC-on and GSYNC when pointing a camera at a PC display, closely examining his second video shows the same type of VSYNC judder present when he selects VSYNC or GSYNC.
Comments are disabled for both of his videos.
It looks like this guy just tweaked the drivers to let him enable GSYNC in software, regardless of the connected display, but it doesn't seem to actually be doing anything different in the end.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1538208/nvidia-g-sync-free-on-mobile-edp-monitors-with-980m/10

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

uses eDP interface for the monitor

Well shit, my Clevo doesn't ;( Still uses whatever the hell the older one is. I can't even "overclock" my laptop monitor because it's handled by the integrated HD4000 :(

FFS, it was only a 2012 model...

cool, hope Eurocom's 120Hz laptops are supported soon, as that wood be a true "desktop replacement" with dual 980Ms 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

cool, hope Eurocom's 120Hz laptops are supported soon, as that wood be a true "desktop replacement" with dual 980Ms 

120HZ has less problems, though

GSync works on windowed mode too + tweaking drivers was some early work he did - months ago. It doesn't happen now (I had the tweaked one)

Thread Updated

• 3 months later...

Hi i cant get accces to the site,so is there another site were i can download g-tools, or can some one mail it to me ? 
Im tired of Nvidia taking down the sites :)