Computer got stuck during BIOS update

Today I was updating the BIOS of my "MSI Z97-G43 Gaming" motherboard through the official software "MSI Live Update 6" that came with the motherboard (I did it once without any problems). It has downloaded the bios and some other drivers. Before the software installed the bios it updated the chipset driver. The update of the bios began. I was told to not shut down the pc so I did nothing. Then the whole screen did freeze for 2 sec and then the computer shut down and restarted like it would if you press the RESET-button. But there was no input signal on the monitor. After 10-15 min I tried the POWER-button, but no response. The same was with the RESET-button. Now the pc is still running (one and a half hour since this happened) and I don't know what I should do.

Can I turn it off? Is there a possibillity to recover it without sending the whole motherboard in? Does it make sense to try a CMOS-reset?

I'm looking forward for your response.

Today I was updating the BIOS of my "MSI Z97-G43 Gaming" motherboard through the official software "MSI Live Update 6" that came with the motherboard (I did it once without any problems). It has downloaded the bios and some other drivers. Before the software installed the bios it updated the chipset driver. The update of the bios began. I was told to not shut down the pc so I did nothing. Then the whole screen did freeze for 2 sec and then the computer shut down and restarted like it would if you press the RESET-button. But there was no input signal on the monitor. After 10-15 min I tried the POWER-button, but no response. The same was with the RESET-button. Now the pc is still running (one and a half hour since this happened) and I don't know what I should do.

Can I turn it off? Is there a possibillity to recover it without sending the whole motherboard in? Does it make sense to try a CMOS-reset?

Looks like you bricked your board... :/ only some mobo's allow to recover the BIOS, not sure if your's supports it... :/

Not really a mobo expert myself but I'm sure some guys on the form can help you out :)

Wait so its on right now?

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Turn it off, unplug it, do what you gotta do, and see if it still works.  If it doesn't you've most likely bricked the motherboard.

This is a known issue with Live Update. Even MSI recommend you don't use it for BIOS updating and only allow it to update drivers.

It appears your board has no dual BIOS support so you've got two choices, either find a replacement BIOS chip and swap it out yourself or RMA your board.

ALWAYS USE YOUR BIOS/UEFIs BUILT IN FLASH UTILITY TO FLASH YOUR BOARD.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

CMOS Reset did not work... unfortunately
Now that I know that you shouldn't use Live Update to update your bios I will use the built in option the next time :/

CMOS Reset did not work... unfortunately

Now that I know that you shouldn't use Live Update to update your bios I will use the built in option the next time :/

Make sure to make it very clear it was their software which caused the issue when you speak to support otherwise they'll try and blame you for it then charge you to fix it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I was doing everything through the utility, because I thought it was the only source I can really thrust... But it seems that it is better to do it on your own ^_^ . The software even blocked the keyboard and mouse in order to not shut it down unintentionally.

Bricked is bricked. Some boards will spin fans and make al the normal noises of starting even with a bricked bios. NEVER use a windows based flash utility! Many times it will fail and the board is toast. Nowadays many manufacturers have the bios chips soldered to the board. I still like it when at least they used a replaceable chip on the boards so that at least you could get another bios chip and just stick it in the board and recover the board.

If the board is still under warranty then get it replaced. you can tell them it would not boot up. If you tell them that it would not boot up after trying to flash the bios (even with their software) they may not replace it due to operator error and no fault of the product.

Good luck!:-)

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

Bricked is bricked. Some boards will spin fans and make al the normal noises of starting even with a bricked bios. NEVER use a windows based flash utility! Many times it will fail and the board is toast. Nowadays many manufacturers have the bios chips soldered to the board. I still like it when at least they used a replaceable chip on the boards so that at least you could get another bios chip and just stick it in the board and recover the board.

If the board is still under warranty then get it replaced. you can tell them it would not boot up. If you tell them that it would not boot up after trying to flash the bios (even with their software) they may not replace it due to operator error and no fault of the product.

Good luck!:-)

I knew that it was a delicate moment when you change (for example updating) your bios and that it could brick the whole motherboard but I never thought that a software that came with the motherboard and offers this option could be such unsecure to use and I'm really upset about that. Fortunately it is still in warranty so I think I won't have that much problems to make it work again through the support.