Nikon D5000 autofocus problem

Hey! I have a problem with nikon D5000 autofocus it is not working, when I am taking a photo I hear the autofocus making a ticking sound like something is blocking it from turning the gears or something,  I  don't really have a problem with controlling it myself but my parents are not so happy about that, so I was wondering is there a way I can try to fix it without going to shop and giving the camera to them?

2 π noscope

/powered by mountain dew and doritos/

Hey! I have a problem with nikon D5000 autofocus it is not working, when I am taking a photo I hear the autofocus making a ticking sound like something is blocking it from turning the gears or something,  I  don't really have a problem with controlling it myself but my parents are not so happy about that, so I was wondering is there a way I can try to fix it without going to shop and giving the camera to them?

Have you tried different lenses (that are compatible) to see if it's the problem with the lens you are using? Because that sounds like the issue, not the camera.

I have no idea how to fix lenses for free, and I don't recommend it. But if you can still use manual focus, no need to ditch the lens just yet.

If focusing is not accurate enough when manually focusing, one good trick to keep in mind: when manually focusing, keep the shutter button half-pressed just like you would do if you were using the auto focus, the focus points will still light up when it's in focus even when using manual focus.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Have you tried different lenses (that are compatible) to see if it's the problem with the lens you are using? Because that sounds like the issue, not the camera.

If focusing is not accurate enough when manually focusing, one good trick to keep in mind: when manually focusing, keep the shutter button half-pressed just like you would do if you were using the auto focus, the focus points will still light up when it's in focus even when using manual focus.

Ohh, yes, forgot to mention that I have tried another lense and there was the same problem, but on different camera that other lense works just fine, weird.

Thanks for the tip, did not know that focus point will still light up.  :)

2 π noscope

Ohh, yes, forgot to mention that I have tried another lense and there was the same problem, but on different camera that other lense works just fine, weird.

Thanks for the tip, did not know that focus point will still light up.  :)

I taught that trick to @Laputacake as well, since he got a Nikon D3100 with the kit lens that has broken auto focus. It has proven to be useful for him as well.

I have no idea what the problem would be on the camera. It's kinda old though, but if it's in good condition it shouldn't do that regardless of age.

Would @ShadowCaptain know what could be the problem? He knows tons about cameras. Lets just hope that he, or any other camera geek on this forum sees this thread.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

SNIP

Thanks for the tag, but I got no idea, possible the focus motor inside the lens is broken at a guess

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Thanks for the tag, but I got no idea, possible the focus motor inside the lens is broken at a guess

Ye that was one of my guesses, well seems like I will have to shoot photos without auto focus.

Thanks for helping everyone. If I find any solution how to fix it myself then i will post something here if anyone is interested in it. :)

2 π noscope

• 1 year later...

Check that both the lens and the camera switches are both pointing towards Autofocus. On the camera it must be set on AF, not M, and on the lens put it to M/A (A stands for Autofocus and M for Manual, M/A allows you to use both). Flicking the lens switch to Manual can be done unwittingly and fairly easily, especially if you are in a rush to change lens. Check more details in Nikon D5000 Manual- guideusermanual.com/product-name-d5000-manual&po=4307&lang=English

I'm really not well educated on Nikon, but I'm under the impression that depeding on the camera and lens, the AF motor could reside in either. If the lens works on one camera but not another it means its the camera not the lens. 

Even if the motor is in the lens rather than the camera, the issue could be with the cameras own AF system. 

In either case, the best solution would be to straight out replace the faulty item. Repairing them isn't worth it, the d5000 is long in the tooth, and I assume the Lens isn't top of the line either, so the cost of repair would probably outweigh the current value of the camera or component. 

Maybe try AF without the shutter button, does the d5000 have a back button? AF-ON? The shutter button assembly could possibly be the issue as well, although that is unlikely. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/