i5 4690k possible degradation/long term damage

Go to solution Solved by Lays,

Haswells are fine with high voltage, you can run 1.4v 24/7 without any problems as long as you have good cooling.

Everything you did was fine. 

Here is a good chart to live by:

Even the 1.75v cache voltage was fine, you only ran it for 24 hours, there should be no long term effects.

9rdn.png

Hi guys,

This  is my first post on the LTT forums and I'd like some help from anyone who has had experience with overclocking, particularly haswell. 

Long story short im a bit paranoid ATM. 

For a while now i've been trying to achieve 4.7 Ghz on my 4690k. I eventually managed to get it mostly stable with these:

-Vcore: 1.34v(fixed)

-Vrin/Input voltage: 1.85v

-Cache/Ring 3.9 Ghz:1.175v fixed

-All C states dissabled. 

Temps do not exceed 85-88 running Aida 64.

For some reason my motherboards UEFI (Asrock Z97 Pro 4) doesnt handle blue screens very well and sometimes the temperature readout of the cpu locks up which can be fixed with a quick BIOS flash. No biggie

UNFORTUNATELY while configuring everything again I managed to set the cache/ring voltage to 1.75v. The machine ran about 24h with this voltage at moderately high load. Now the CPU temp reads 57-60 at idle ish in the UEFI and remains unnafected in Windows(Real temp).

Should I worry and is there any way of checking whether or not the chip has suffered any long term damage?

Also how much is the average lifespan of a haswell chip and how much should i expect out of mine?

Any input would be highly appreciated.

Lower your core voltage to 1.3 or 1.25 that's too much.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Haswells are fine with high voltage, you can run 1.4v 24/7 without any problems as long as you have good cooling.

Everything you did was fine. 

Here is a good chart to live by:

Even the 1.75v cache voltage was fine, you only ran it for 24 hours, there should be no long term effects.

9rdn.png

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Thanks bro, nice chart pretty useful. Again tho i'm not completely sure yet.
The temp readout in the bios really creeps me out. It used to stay around 41-42 C in the UEFI with 1.3v vcore now it's up to around 53-54 degrees fors some reason. :mellow:
I've tried re flashing the bios twice to see if perhaps the sensor was stuck again or smth and my UEFI completely froze at one point. It showed some rainbow colored lines at the the top of the screen.
I'm currently running a x264 v2 loop to test stabillity @ 4.6Ghz 1.3 vcore. Really hope i didn't fry something in there that isn't exactly vital to the chip.