Help Me Help My Parents Dump Comcast

JakeMnz

I've finally talked my parents into getting rid of Comcast for internet and telephone, now I just need some help getting them to drop them for cable. They'll be getting an AndroidTV device like the Nvidia Shield when they drop cable but they want sports channels. After doing some research I wasn't able to find any solutions to having live sports streaming that didn't include having a cable service provider. I want them to get rid of Comcast before I go off to college and this is the last thing we need to figure out before they'll drop the Comcast all-in-one bundle. If anyone has any solutions to not being able to watch channels like ESPN on platforms like Netflix and Hulu, let me know. 

Watching reruns is not an option sadly, they want live sports.

-

Before anyone asks why we want to get rid of Comcast, they run a horrible monopoly in my area and are actually keeping Verizon and DirectTV out somehow. We have their "Super Fast" broadband package and are paying for TWO speed boosts and our internet is still horrible. The best example I can think of is Steam downloads peak at around 2.5 MB/s. Our equipment is not the issue before you ask and we aren't the only ones in the town who are having issues with Comcast.

*Edit: Changed GB to MB.

2.5GB/s my ass waht is your actual speed? even if MB still fast as fck soooo its be no means slow. 

how much you $$$?

If Steam downloads at 2.5 GB/s you have a better internet connection than pretty much every other person in the US. So, don't you dare complain.

Getting sports channels like ESPN and the like, is probably going to be difficult or maybe even impossible without using less than legit services.

Usually the big cable channels have a deal with the cable companies, that says that the channel should only be available through a given service.

This is also why channels comes in packages most of the time. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Check out Sling TV for what your parents need. :) They have legit live channels.

guys i think he means 2.5MB/s

thats still MORE Than enough to stream 4k. so he shouldn't be complaining unless he is paying for like 5MB/s

I have 12MB/s down and 1MB/s Up, not even whining bout it lol.

MB or Mb?

if MB you shouldn't be whining anyway

that's 96mb/s

thats still MORE Than enough to stream 4k. so he shouldn't be complaining unless he is paying for like 5MB/s

WHat???

No it isnt!!

20MB/s is about enoguh

He probably means mb, 2.5gb/s isnt possible

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Megabyte.

so 96mb/s thats not even worth complaining

WHat???

No it isnt!!

20MB/s is about enoguh

20MB/s = 160 Mb

Get your units straight

20MB/s = 160 Mb

Get your units straight

o

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

o

you only need at least  25mb/s or ~3MB for 4k streams youtube bitrate ones.

Oops, I really did mean MB/s. I kind of hastily wrote this so I could get it out of the way and do some work on my PC.

But yeah our connection is bad. I have a friend a town over who has the same exact package as my family and doesn't pay for internet speedups like we do and his download speed ranges from 7 MB/s to 13 MB/s (I was just over there a few days ago and downloaded H1Z1.. It was glorious.) We're paying for 10 MB down with speed boosters that theoretically should make it 15-20 MB down so yes, I do think I have the right to complain about my service provider :P

Back to the topic on hand though.. Anyone know of any solutions...?

Did you check Sling TV? 

I've finally talked my parents into getting rid of Comcast for internet and telephone, now I just need some help getting them to drop them for cable. They'll be getting an AndroidTV device like the Nvidia Shield when they drop cable but they want sports channels. After doing some research I wasn't able to find any solutions to having live sports streaming that didn't include having a cable service provider. I want them to get rid of Comcast before I go off to college and this is the last thing we need to figure out before they'll drop the Comcast all-in-one bundle. If anyone has any solutions to not being able to watch channels like ESPN on platforms like Netflix and Hulu, let me know. 

Watching reruns is not an option sadly, they want live sports.

-

Before anyone asks why we want to get rid of Comcast, they run a horrible monopoly in my area and are actually keeping Verizon and DirectTV out somehow. We have their "Super Fast" broadband package and are paying for TWO speed boosts and our internet is still horrible. The best example I can think of is Steam downloads peak at around 2.5 MB/s. Our equipment is not the issue before you ask and we aren't the only ones in the town who are having issues with Comcast.

*Edit: Changed GB to MB.

2.5 MB/s = ~20 Mbps, while not strictly amazing, it's still pretty decent. Certainly enough to stream Youtube or even Netflix at 1080p or 4K, for a single user.

12 MB/s download = 96 Mbps... that's pretty damn fast bro, lol. Sure, it's not Google Fibre Gigabit speeds, but it's still more than enough for pretty much any current streaming needs, eg, 4K YT/Netflix even among multiple users.

MB or Mb?

if MB you shouldn't be whining anyway

that's 96mb/s

Aye, people cannot freaking get MB vs Mb straight. Big B = Megabyte, Little b = byte. It's an important distinction that many here fail to grasp :P

WHat???

No it isnt!!

20MB/s is about enoguh

2.5 GB/s is technically possible, for a few very specific locations on earth, but certainly so highly unlikely that we shouldn't even consider it. Anyway we know now that he meant 2.5 MB/s for sure :P

Also 20 MB/s is way more than enough for 4K content. 20 MB/s is pretty kickass internet actually. As @Arty says, 20 MB/s = 160 Mbps. I have 150 Mbps (18.75 MB/s) and it rocks.

Megabyte.

so 96mb/s thats not even worth complaining

Yeah 96 Mbps is better than like 90% of the forum users here lol.

20MB/s = 160 Mb

Get your units straight

you only need at least  25mb/s or ~3MB for 4k streams youtube bitrate ones.

Yep. Though you could still get away with 4K streams with a slightly lower connection, but it'll likely buffer a lot, and would kill any bandwidth for any other users.

Oops, I really did mean MB/s. I kind of hastily wrote this so I could get it out of the way and do some work on my PC.

But yeah our connection is bad. I have a friend a town over who has the same exact package as my family and doesn't pay for internet speedups like we do and his download speed ranges from 7 MB/s to 13 MB/s (I was just over there a few days ago and downloaded H1Z1.. It was glorious.) We're paying for 10 MB down with speed boosters that theoretically should make it 15-20 MB down so yes, I do think I have the right to complain about my service provider :P

You're paying for 10 MB/s download? So that means you're paying for an 80 Mbps connection, right? If you're paying for 80 Mbps, and getting 20 Mbps, you really need to call your cable company and complain hardcore.

Either there's something wrong with your line, in which case, Comcast can fix it, getting you up to the speed you're paying for, or your line is physically limited to 20 Mbps, and Comcast is ripping you off - if the latter, you should simply downgrade your service, so you're not wasting money on speeds you'll never reach.

But you should call Comcast and get them to diagnose the issue.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

You're paying for 10 MB/s download? So that means you're paying for an 80 Mbps connection, right? If you're paying for 80 Mbps, and getting 20 Mbps, you really need to call your cable company and complain hardcore.

Either there's something wrong with your line, in which case, Comcast can fix it, getting you up to the speed you're paying for, or your line is physically limited to 20 Mbps, and Comcast is ripping you off - if the latter, you should simply downgrade your service, so you're not wasting money on speeds you'll never reach.

We've called, believe me we've called. They refuse to do anything about it and they sadly they don't have to. They own all of the wires in my town because they installed them, which is why no other company can get in my town. We'd switch to a different company or threaten to, but they know we can't. The only other companies that can get in are satellite companies and DirectTV (You have to jump through a lot of hoops to get them), but if you drop Comcast's bundle then you can forget about reasonable prices for internet and home phone services. 

Did you check Sling TV? 

I indeed did and it seems like a pretty good solution. I'll have to look more into it but that might be our solution, thanks for the suggestion.

2.5 MB/s = ~20 Mbps, while not strictly amazing, it's still pretty decent. Certainly enough to stream Youtube or even Netflix at 1080p or 4K, for a single user.

12 MB/s download = 96 Mbps... that's pretty damn fast bro, lol. Sure, it's not Google Fibre Gigabit speeds, but it's still more than enough for pretty much any current streaming needs, eg, 4K YT/Netflix even among multiple users.

Aye, people cannot freaking get MB vs Mb straight. Big B = Megabyte, Little b = byte. It's an important distinction that many here fail to grasp :P

2.5 GB/s is technically possible, for a few very specific locations on earth, but certainly so highly unlikely that we shouldn't even consider it. Anyway we know now that he meant 2.5 MB/s for sure :P

Also 20 MB/s is way more than enough for 4K content. 20 MB/s is pretty kickass internet actually. As @Arty says, 20 MB/s = 160 Mbps. I have 150 Mbps (18.75 MB/s) and it rocks.

Yeah 96 Mbps is better than like 90% of the forum users here lol.

Yep. Though you could still get away with 4K streams with a slightly lower connection, but it'll likely buffer a lot, and would kill any bandwidth for any other users.

AND MOST people don't know the differnce

between MiB/GiB

windows doesn't use GB and MB ....

a 1TB HDD = 1TB = ~~966GIB

AND MOST people don't know the differnce

between MiB/GiB

windows doesn't use GB and MB ....

a 1TB HDD = 1TB = ~~966GIB

True, KiB vs KB, but at least in that case, we can safely assume that 99% of people who say KB mean KiB.

KB having a practical definition of 1024 B, while having a "technical definition" of 1000 B.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Did you measure the speed with your PC via ethernet connected to your cable modem?