Back when motherboards looked epic and had character.

I... think they've actually improved since the OP's pictures..

Agreed, I think the OP's look "cheesy", a bit overdone the same way some cases are overdone with too many lights or colors, now a days they look sexy to me like a fractal design case.. If that makes any sense, sensible/practical but not overdone.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

If you had an old Athlon idling at that temp then you had issues. I've got some Athlon XPs that run at about 28C under full load and maybe 32C overclocked. Athlon 64s weren't much worse either.

It was an athlon x2 7750BE, oced a bit. I didnt know it ran that hot until i discovered cpu-z and after that i cleaned the pc out and it showed idle 7°C, which isnt possible, ty amd sensors, but much lower. But it did run at that temp before i cleaned it xD

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

x99 boards tend to have lots of character. 

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.