Crysis

aviationjames

Do I have to play Crysis 1 and 2 before playing the third?

I own all 3 games, but really want to play the new one.

Will it affect the story?

Not really but 1 is by far the best IMO so I would play that, 2+3 are almost different games when compared to 1, they're way more 'consolized'. There is definitely some story arc through the three of them though especially 2+3 (again 1 is almost a different game).

yes, its all a whole 3 stories, characters from crysis 1 are gonna return in crysis 3, also, do play Crysis Warhead.

but, you can play Crysis 3 for what it is and still enjoy it

CrysisWarheadFront_ESRB_FINAL.jpg

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Playing games in reverse is rare, i would do it that way.

i played prince of persia trilogy that way, the thing is the game story is a paradox, so it totally made sense. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I started with 2, sort of, I played C1 before but never owned or finished it before crysis 2.

I would say play them in order, they aren't so long that you can't handle them. But then again, some of my friends think the story is "absolutely irrelevant". The can't put the games being tech demos past them.

Playing C3 before any of the others will most likely ruin C1 and C2 for you to some degree.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Okay, I also own all the mini games ....

I don't think I need to play them too?

post-193341-0-25768400-1435499000.png

just play them in order, you cant seriously miss Crysis 1

start with Crysis - Crysis Warhead - Crysis 2 - Crysis 3

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Great question, and ironically one I can answer very well as I got and played Crysis 3 first then Crysis 2, then Crysis 1 then warhead.

To put it simply, Crysis 3 does do a very good job of bringing you up to speed with how the story has progressed, but if you enjoy getting your teeth into a story; noticing all the little references, some of the Easter eggs etc. then I would really recommend playing c1 then c2 then c3 - Crysis warhead is just a separate storyline featuring " psycho" one of the other main characters in the trilogy, play very similar to Crysis 1 but has some mild differences in how the game looks and plays (actual movement animations appear in warhead compared to c1s' floating sprint when in 1st person- no leg movement visible when sprinting)

Quick tip from going to Crysis 1 to Crysis 2, the key bindings (the buttons you press to crouch, change suit mode etc.) are vastly different in Crysis 2 to 1, so if you want keep your bindings the same throughout I'd recommend changing them when you first play the game (whether it be "I'm used to Crysis 2 bindings" in which case change the bindings in c1 or vice versa), just so there's no confusion whether to press "ctrl" or "c" to crouch. The bindings by default in 2 and 3 are more modern and more common in current fps titles, so I'd recommend changing c1 bindings to the ones found in Crysis 2 before Crysis 1.

In summary - no its not a big deal if you play them backwards like I did :D, but going from 3 to 2 to 1 then warhead was rather odd and a bit like a murder mystery, working your way back in time to when the crime was committed or in this case working your way back to the begging of Prophet. Playing Crysis 2 after 3, meant I understood Crysis 3 a lot more than when I hadn't played Crysis 2, and even more so once I'd got my teeth through Crysis 1.

So feel free to be an oddball like I was, but if you want a really good grounding on the story and how all the characters progress I would play them in sequence.. unless you like murder mysteries, in which case do it backwards  and discover where the Nanosuit originates and how Prophet became Prophet :D

If you want to discuss the story or if you don't understand anything in any of the games feel free to drop me a message and I'll do my best to explain :)

Crysis warhead as mentioned above is just a separate storyline focusing on " psycho" that plays similarly in style to crysis 1

Crysis wars is a multiplayer version of crysis 1, but since Gamespy shutdown taking their servers with them, Crysis wars can NO longer be played on public multiplayer servers, I've heard of some exceptions but on the whole Crysis Wars can't be played anymore  :)