Why do modern motherboards still have PS/2?

I've wondered this for a while, I know ps2 connectors aren't bad but USB is used now. Anyone know why?

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

N-Key roll over, and more support for older technology.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

In regards to this, does anyone know of a PS/2 mechanical keyboard?

Some people have experienced increased compatibility with keyboards and BIOSes/UEFI's.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I've wondered this for a while, I know ps2 connectors aren't bad but USB is used now. Anyone know why?

Requires no drivers, full n-key rollover, not everyone likes using usb stuff.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I use PS/2 for fun. And I hate plugging in my mouse into USB

I still use it for my keyboard, for gaming  it has lower latency(like this amount really matters?  lol) and full n-key roll over, which USB has always given me problems with this. I have a macro mouse so it freaks out the computer if I use PS/2 with the mouse.

Some people have experienced increased compatibility with keyboards and BIOSes/UEFI's.

True, although Modern Bios now have mouse support too and my USB keyboard and mouse works well in it

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

No recent Mechanical keyboards are PS/2. Maybe something like the IBM Model M is though.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I guess it easier to keep it as it is rather than dropping support for something a few people still use. 

Cause PS/2 being serial is technically better than USB for a input device, especially one as simple as a keyboard.

Precisely yesterday I had a situation with a 1150 socket motherboard, Trying to install win 7 and  none of the USB ports worked.  Outside of the win 7 install the ports worked fine, I was able to get into bios without problems, it was only that win 7 did not include drivers for the ports.

I had to plug a PS2 keyboard to actually get windows to install, and then I had to use the keyboard to download the USB drivers before I could use any kind of usb device to finish installing all the software.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I have a Unicomp Model M that uses PS/2, also PS/2 with N-Key rollover is a big deal for me. Also I use a serial mouse, no drivers, just works.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Cause PS/2 being serial is technically better than USB for a input device, especially one as simple as a keyboard.

I'm fairly certain USB is serial as well - hence the name Universal Serial Bus. I don't know for sure though.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Precisely yesterday I had a situation with a 1150 socket motherboard, Trying to install win 7 and  none of the USB ports worked.  Outside of the win 7 install the ports worked fine, I was able to get into bios without problems, it was only that win 7 did not had drivers for the ports.

I had to plug a PS2 keyboard to actually get windows to install, and then I had to use the keyboard to download the USB drivers before I could use any kind of usb device to finish installing all the software.

True, although Modern Bios now have mouse support too and my USB keyboard and mouse works well in it

Op read above, they are extremely helpful when troubleshooting

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

SteelSeries 7G would be more common. The CM Storm QFR (Quick Fire Rapid) was PS/2 compatible. Many of the early mechanical gaming keyboards could be passively converted to PS/2 as well.

There are other but they'll be more niche.

It's been abandoned for the most part because just being a solid better built more reliable device is no longer enough to sell a Mechanical Gaming Keyboard is today's market. The features the market well and do sell and mu have harder to do over PS/2 if not impossible for some.

Up until my CM Storm combo I used the port because it was sturdy to me. I have had countless USB keyboards die or break at the end/just not work at start up of Win install, but every single PS/2 keyboard I have had, or mouse, is still going strong and works straight out of the box unless horribly broken.

I actually hope they never remove support for it but I know it is coming. :(

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

From what I remember, Adesso, Das Keyboard's Model S, and the Steelseries 6Gv2 come with a PS/2 adapter.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

I'm fairly certain USB is serial as well - hence the name Universal Serial Bus. I don't know for sure though.

But that employs a bus which the need to be polled. I'll boil it down a bit.

PS/2 is essentially always sending a signal which you interrupt when is why it's immediate. It's also a direct hardware connection which is why hotswaping is a no no. USB on the other had has to poll (hz, aka times per second) to see if you've sent anything.

This is a bit off from how it actually works but should at least illustrate why one would be better than another at least in the aspect of latency.

I'd say many companies and workplaces milk hardware as much as they can. If they can spare bucks on mice and keyboard they'll do it. So if you're upgrading your motherboard in an expense-cut context and have the opportunity to cut costs by not buying a new set of keyboard and mouse, you will. Most high and medium-end boards I see don't seem to have PS/2, but low-end is natural, as I see it, at least.

This is a bit off from how it actually works but should at least illustrate why one would be better than another at least in the aspect of latency.

Good bits of information to know anyhow.

Precisely yesterday I had a situation with a 1150 socket motherboard, Trying to install win 7 and none of the USB ports worked. Outside of the win 7 install the ports worked fine, I was able to get into bios without problems, it was only that win 7 did not include drivers for the ports.

This is 100% because your using hardware designed for a newer OS that what you choose to use. I image those were all usb 3.0 ports which are not natively supported in windows 7. Heck even UEFI support is just kinda hacked in with SP1.

Good bits of information to know anyhow.

N-key rollover is a bit more complex, especially when it comes to USB.

I think there were a few back in the day but I'm sure they were expensive as all get out

CPU: i5-4690K | Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 | Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury

DDR3-1866 4x4GB | Boot: Samsung 860 Evo 250GB | Storage: Seagate Barracuda Green 1.5TB | GPU: Asus GTX 970 Strix 2xSLI | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Case: Antec Nine Hundred