The last decision for display

PeggersXtreme
Go to solution Solved by Lord_Karango17,

so in your experience does 144hz make a whole lot of difference I heard people say its less straining on the eye's, it's game changing, movies look better is this true. and yeah I wouldn't consider 144hz till IPS ones came out. Thanks

144hz is very nice. It makes using the computer more enjoyable, however up until now the only way to have it was with tn panels that did not boast the best color accuracy. Now however you have the ability to get ips panels that also do 144hz which is the good stuff.

It might be less straining if you are already used to it (it is quite hard going back to 60hz after using 144hz because you get used to the smoothness).

Personally I dont know how much of a difference it makes in movies, however since the 144hz is an even multiple of the 24fps that movies are shot in, it would reduce the frame skipping that occurs when you try to play 24 fps content through a 60 hz panel (144/24=6 so each frame has to stay onscreen for 6 panel refreshes, but it is not as smooth with 60hz panels)

Ok, so I have managed to get down to two factors now to decide on my new display and a few opinions would help me a lot.

The two choices are a 32" 4k IPS display or 27" 144hz 1440p IPS display

Now for graphics power I will be running two Titan X's with the rest of the system being 32gb DDR4 and an Intel Core i7 5960X.

This Display will be used as a multi-purpose display and will be used for Video Editing, Gaming, Photoshop, Light Coding and Genral Youtube/Twitch Watching  

Thanks Guys and can't wait to see your opinions

oh an lastly the 1440p one is around 108ppi and the 4k one is 137ppi

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

If you want the high refresh rates than the 1440p would be the better choice, but if not, then base it off the panel quality, and aesthetics.

With the 4k monitor, you might also need to use text scaling that is pretty bad on windows right now

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Just got the Acer XB270HU today and it's awesome  :D

Far better then my 55 inch 4K tv.

I was lucky enough to find one that was returned by someone else for 419€ instead of 799€ because it had some death/stuck pixels. 

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

If you want the high refresh rates than the 1440p would be the better choice, but if not, then base it off the panel quality, and aesthetics.

With the 4k monitor, you might also need to use text scaling that is pretty bad on windows right now

Would there be much better image quality between the two like 30pixel per an inch more doesn't sound like it would make a massive difference I have only ever seen 4k screens and 1080p screens none of my local computer stores have 1440p unfortunately

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

Would there be much better image quality between the two like 30pixel per an inch more doesn't sound like it would make a massive difference I have only ever seen 4k screens and 1080p screens none of my local computer stores have 1440p unfortunately

4k will no doubt look nice, but you have to decide weather its worth it in regards to the display scaling needed, and the extra load on your gpus.

I have not seen a 4k monitor in person so i cant really say, but my current 25" 1440p monitor looks quite nice in regards to pixel density.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

4k will no doubt look nice, but you have to decide weather its worth it in regards to the display scaling needed, and the extra load on your gpus.

I have not seen a 4k monitor in person so i cant really say, but my current 25" 1440p monitor looks quite nice in regards to pixel density.

At current I run a TN 1080p 24" and it is terrible it's only 60hz and has a yellow tint to everything makes Photoshop almost impossible sometimes

Custom PC:

At current I run a TN 1080p 24" and it is terrible it's only 60hz and has a yellow tint to everything makes Photoshop almost impossible sometimes

IPS is definitely the way to go... Learned that lesson after using my old 144hz benq monitor. While I miss the 144hz, not having the frankly awful colors more than makes up for it...

IPS is definitely the way to go... Learned that lesson after using my old 144hz benq monitor. While I miss the 144hz, not having the frankly awful colors more than makes up for it...

so in your experience does 144hz make a whole lot of difference I heard people say its less straining on the eye's, it's game changing, movies look better is this true. and yeah I wouldn't consider 144hz till IPS ones came out. Thanks

Custom PC:

144hz is very nice. It makes using the computer more enjoyable, however up until now the only way to have it was with tn panels that did not boast the best color accuracy. Now however you have the ability to get ips panels that also do 144hz which is the good stuff.

It might be less straining if you are already used to it (it is quite hard going back to 60hz after using 144hz because you get used to the smoothness).

Personally I dont know how much of a difference it makes in movies, however since the 144hz is an even multiple of the 24fps that movies are shot in, it would reduce the frame skipping that occurs when you try to play 24 fps content through a 60 hz panel (144/24=6 so each frame has to stay onscreen for 6 panel refreshes, but it is not as smooth with 60hz panels)

Awesome thanks for your help, looks like 1440p 144hz IPS will be the best choice give the best of all worlds with high refresh, high resolution and IPS :)

Custom PC:

Awesome thanks for your help, looks like 1440p 144hz IPS will be the best choice give the best of all worlds with high refresh, high resolution and IPS :)

yep, tech has come quite far, and something that you had to choose between not that long ago, comes in a singular package now

yep, tech has come quite far, and something that you had to choose between not that long ago, comes in a singular package now

True :)

Custom PC:

If I was you I would wait for the new ROG IPS SWIFT, because it's so sexy:

2500px_Asus_Computex2015_DSC06808_2.jpg

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

If you are in the market for this level of $, i suggest waiting for the king thats out in a few months:

Acer x34 - 34inch, IPS, 3440x1440, 100hz, gsync

Id say waiting a few months is nothing for the monitor you`ll keep for 10 years.

If you are in the market for this level of $, i suggest waiting for the king thats out in a few months:

Acer x34 - 34inch, IPS, 3440x1440, 100hz, gsync

Id say waiting a few months is nothing for the monitor you`ll keep for 10 years.

Why would anybody want to spend 1500$ on that monitor when you could spend 300-400$ on a VR headset which is glorious OLED, and not filthy IPS  :P

The monitor market will have big big competition.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Why would anybody want to spend 1500$ on that monitor when you could spend 300-400$ on a VR headset which is glorious OLED, and not filthy IPS  :P

The monitor market will have big big competition.

Cuz VR is meant for a handful of games and maybe some other crap.

Everything else, including all the work and information surfing ...  its gona be real hard to fill out excel on VR.

Theres not gona be any competition... VR will just be an addon toy, just like an AMP/DAC for your audio needs is (and even that has miles broader uses).

Cuz VR is meant for a handful of games and maybe some other crap.

Everything else, including all the work and information surfing ...  its gona be real hard to fill out excel on VR.

Theres not gona be any competition... VR will just be an addon toy, just like an AMP/DAC for your audio needs is (and even that has miles broader uses).

Lmao, who limits you to use the VR display as a normal screen without those lenses?

A +100 inch O-LED display for 300-400$? Yes please.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Lmao, who limits you to use the VR display as a normal screen without those lenses?

A +100 inch O-LED display for 300-400$? Yes please.

You really dont understand what you are talking about.

I dont know where to even begin ... , i wont bother. Go watch VR interviews and maybe you`ll understand something yourself.

You really dont understand what you are talking about.

I dont know where to even begin ... , i wont bother. Go watch VR interviews and maybe you`ll understand something yourself.

You are the fucking troll here. I don't need to watch VR interviews as I had the chance to play with  a DK2 and I have a OnePlusOne with a plastic adapter. If I want to watch a movie all by myself I can play it on my phone in a virtual cinema. Yes the resolution it's quite low because it's so close to my eyes but two 4K O-LED displays in the future should be more then enough.

But damn, O-led is the biggest move in display-technology in the last 15 years.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

You are the fucking troll here. I don't need to watch VR interviews as I had the chance to play with  a DK2 and I have a OnePlusOne with a plastic adapter. If I want to watch a movie all by myself I can play it on my phone in a virtual cinema. Yes the resolution it's quite low because it's so close to my eyes but two 4K O-LED displays in the future should be more then enough.

But damn, O-led is the biggest move in display-technology in the last 15 years.

Oh, didnt realize we were talking about  "the future".... cuz by then i rather get a 100$ 16k OLED monitor that covers my wall.

We all know OLED is the shit. But you`ll never be able to do ANY work on VR, where the resolution is very low and stretched on 100". If you cant imagine how much of a torture word or excel would be on that,(or reading forums where 12yearolds argue about callofduty)..., you have no clue what your talking about. Calling others "trolls" wont change that.

Oh, didnt realize we were talking about  "the future".... cuz by then i rather get a 100$ 16k OLED monitor that covers my wall.

We all know OLED is the shit. But you`ll never be able to do ANY work on VR, where the resolution is very low and stretched on 100". If you cant imagine how much of a torture word or excel would be on that,(or reading forums where 12yearolds argue about callofduty)..., you have no clue what your talking about. Calling others "trolls" wont change that.

You are talking about 16K OLED but you say that a shitty 1300$ overpriced monitor should last him 10 years.

My Acer XB270HU was 419€ and better then this shit:

vs06-03_0248cxs.0.png

Yes that is a 4000$ monitor setup, 10x more then a Oculus Rift or HTC Vive and it's way less immersive, also harder to push.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

My Asus MG279Q arrived at the beginning of the week and tbh I am disappointed with 144hz I will admit moving windows around on the desktop is smoother but in games when im pushing 100-157fps I notice no difference over 60hz. I also have to send the monitor for RMA because it has developed a lot of dead pixels in the space of a week which imo is not acceptable for a $600 monitor I wouldn't even expect dead pixels on cheaper display within such a short space of time. Also the Acer Predator x34 does have some nice spec but the glossy piano black finish on the back is a killer it just ruins the whole design in my opinion.

Custom PC:

My Asus MG279Q arrived at the beginning of the week and tbh I am disappointed with 144hz I will admit moving windows around on the desktop is smoother but in games when im pushing 100-157fps I notice no difference over 60hz. I also have to send the monitor for RMA because it has developed a lot of dead pixels in the space of a week which imo is not acceptable for a $600 monitor I wouldn't even expect dead pixels on cheaper display within such a short space of time. Also the Acer Predator x34 does have some nice spec but the glossy piano black finish on the back is a killer it just ruins the whole design in my opinion.

No difference between 120 and 144? Are you blind? There is even a difference between 120 and 144.

Did you even tried a game like Battlefield 4? I've been owning people much harder and I'm currently on my wireless compact keyboard + 5 $ mouse until I get my K95 RGB + G502

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

No difference between 120 and 144? Are you blind? There is even a difference between 120 and 144.

Did you even tried a game like Battlefield 4? I've been owning people much harder and I'm currently on my wireless compact keyboard + 5 $ mouse until I get my K95 RGB + G502

I played on CS Go for quite a bit and I did get some pretty good kills but in terms of actual score and kill death ratios they were exactly the same as when I use a 60hz panel I didn't find the 120hz much benefit up to 80hz made things smooth but after that I couldn't tell I was getting an average fps of 157 at high settings at 1440p this game must be insanely easy to run

Custom PC:

I played on CS Go for quite a bit and I did get some pretty good kills but in terms of actually score and kill death ratios they were exactly the same as when I use a 60hz panel I didn't find the 120hz much benefit up to 80hz made things smooth but after that I couldn't tell I was getting an average fps of 157 at high settings at 1440p this game must be insanely easy to run

Well yeah, but what else should people get?

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU