Anyone have any advice of transporting a computer set-up in a car? Is it safe?

Matthew12106

So this is my set-up

L9CxVmM.jpg

I am just wondering if anyone has had any experience with moving computers in say a car for like a 1.5 hour jounry. The keyboard, mouse and speaker should be easy. The monitor may be a bit tricky given it's 29".

However my main concern is the computer. I wish I had kept the box the case came in but I didn't. The corsair 760t is pretty huge. I am worried perhaps vibrations from driving my damage something? Or how should I do it like should I put it in a seat with the seatbelt on it? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

My Gaming Setup: CPU: AMD FX-8350  |  CoolingCooler Master Hyper 212 Evo   Motherboard: Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0   Ram: Corsair 16gb 1600mhz lp (2x8)   GPU: Msi Gtx 970 |  StorageSeagate Barracuda 1tb & Samsung 840 Evo 120gb   PSU: XFX 550w Core Edition   Case: Corsair 760t   OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit  

Peripherals: Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry Mx Brown   Mouse: Corsair M65 Black   Speakers: Microlab FC20 40w 2.1   Monitor: LG 29UM65 29" 2560x1080 IPS 5ms Ultra Wide

I would definitely try buckling it in so it doesn't potentially flop around. In addition, it would be wise to remove any expansion cards present in the system if possible, in case you encounter any bumps along the way that could cause the cards to move up and down.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I would definitely try buckling it in so it doesn't potentially flop around. In addition, it would be wise to remove any expansion cards present in the system if possible, in case you encounter any bumps along the way that could cause the cards to move up and down.

Expansion cars? all I have is my msi gtx 970

My Gaming Setup: CPU: AMD FX-8350  |  CoolingCooler Master Hyper 212 Evo   Motherboard: Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0   Ram: Corsair 16gb 1600mhz lp (2x8)   GPU: Msi Gtx 970 |  StorageSeagate Barracuda 1tb & Samsung 840 Evo 120gb   PSU: XFX 550w Core Edition   Case: Corsair 760t   OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit  

Peripherals: Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry Mx Brown   Mouse: Corsair M65 Black   Speakers: Microlab FC20 40w 2.1   Monitor: LG 29UM65 29" 2560x1080 IPS 5ms Ultra Wide

When moving computer towers I wrap it in a towel/sheet to stop scratches and buckle it in a car seat with seat belt, or sit it in the foot-well of the back seats and move the front passenger seat back to hold it in place.

whenever I go to LAN parties I lay my PC in the back seat on it's side, with the monitor in the space in front of the seat.

you can remove the GPU if you're worried about it shaking around

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

If you still have the box and packing foam the monitor came in, its best you put it back in there. As for the tower, remove the graphics card and CPU cooler so you don't risk snapping anything off.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

So this is my set-up

L9CxVmM.jpg

I am just wondering if anyone has had any experience with moving computers in say a car for like a 1.5 hour jounry. The keyboard, mouse and speaker should be easy. The monitor may be a bit tricky given it's 29".

However my main concern is the computer. I wish I had kept the box the case came in but I didn't. The corsair 760t is pretty huge. I am worried perhaps vibrations from driving my damage something? Or how should I do it like should I put it in a seat with the seatbelt on it? 

Take the GPU out and stick them in an antistatic bag, store the monitor screen down ontop of a fleece style blanket, buckle the tower into a seat like your baby child lol or stick it on the floor between the front and middle seats, wrapped in a blanket/coat to protect the paint

if you have a box for the mouse thatd help it but its less needed.

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

Expansion cars? all I have is my msi gtx 970

I couldn't see the image so I commented in a more generic fashion.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Take the GPU out and stick them in an antistatic bag, store the monitor screen down ontop of a fleece style blanket, buckle the tower into a seat like your baby child lol or stick it on the floor between the front and middle seats, wrapped in a blanket/coat to protect the paint

if you have a box for the mouse thatd help it but its less needed.

I remember transporting my Cosmos II. I had to put it in the bed of a truck because it wouldn't fit in the car(I have a coupe).

Put your tower in the box the case came in.

I remember transporting my Cosmos II. I had to put it in the bed of a truck because it wouldn't fit in the car(I have a coupe).

Would it be wise to put it in the boot laying on its side wrapped completely in a blanket

Put your tower in the box the case came in.

"I wish I had kept the box the case came in but I didn't" Please read the post

Would it be wise to put it in the boot laying on its side wrapped completely in a blanket

You can buy a box from home depot and put a blanket in there to account for the extra room

I basically take my entire desk when I go to a friend's house or a LAN party (minus the desk). What I do is get a large duffel bag, and in there I put one of my monitors, wrapped in towels or blankets, my keyboard (in its case), mouse, headset, cables, etc. I leave my desktop out, and carry that by hand. I might wrap it in a towel if it's a little humid outside (I live in Texas) or it's drizzling or something. Sometimes the house I go to already has monitors. In that case I just grab a backpack and put my keyboard, mouse etc. in and again carry my tower by hand. If you're moving, I would suggest putting the tower in the box it came in or at least a box that allows the case to fit snuggly while wrapped in towels, and putting the monitors and other stuff in another box or whatever. Just my two cents (I take my PC with me a lot).

EDIT: As for putting it in the car, put it not on the seat, but in front of the back seats on the floor, where if it tips, the seats will catch it and keep it upright. Go easy on the turns, too. The duffel bag with monitors and stuff, just keep that in the seat, buckle it up if you really want to.

I'd say put it flat in the trunk, and surround it on all sides, including the bottom, with pillows, and then tie it down so it doesn't shift a lot. As was already said, take out the GPU. As for the monitor, I'd say buckle it in and surround that with pillows too.

when I go to land partys I put a towel on the backseat and put my mid tower upright and just buckle it in. I then hold it straight up.

My 24 inch monitor goes in the same but on the front seat.

keyboard, mouse and mouse pad in a bag.

headset on my lap.

So this is my set-up

I would recommend putting your monitor in the box it came it, if you don't have one keep it atleast a foot from any thing and a way to keep in in one spot without applying much pressure to the panel, back, or sides of the monitor.

for the tower do this

Nothing to see here, move along

Glove compartment?

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King