New build just will not start!

I'm building a new computer for my little brother, but the damn thing just won't work.

I've plugged in everything correctly (I think), but when I press the power button absolutely nothing happens! No beeps, no fans, no hard drive whirrs, nothing. 

THINGS I'VE TESTED:

All of these things yielded the same result: nothing. I'm thinking that the motherboard is probably defect, is there any way to test that? Could there be a problem with anything else? 

All help is appreciated!

SPECS:

BitFenix Prodigy M

Intel Core i3 4160 3,6 GHz, 3MB

Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) CL9 1333Mhz VALUE SELECT

FSP 400-60APN Bulk 400W 80+ Bronze

ASUS H81M-PLUS mATX

did you turn the switch on? does the motherboard have a power LED? Can you measure voltage on EVERY rail on the power supply? I have had the same issue before and the power supply's 5v rail was dead, but everything else worked. I jumped green to black and plugged a fan in and just thought it was good. but it wasnt.

if your motherboard has a LED on it like this, does it light up? sorry for the bad picture but I'm pretty sure you can tell where it is.

i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Corsair DDR4 LPX 16 GB | MSI GTX 970 Gaming | Corsair 750D | WD Black 1 TB | MX100 256 GB | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Watt | ASUS VG248QE | Corsair H105 | K70 MX blues non-RGB | M95 | H1500 | Windows 8.1 64-bit

As @iamdarkyoshi has asked, is the PSU switch definitely on? Are there any LEDs?

If yes then try making sure you plugged the connectors from the front of the case into the right pins on the mobo 

Bios been updated for that chip?

Do you have any way of showing error codes, eg a case speaker that plugs into the board and beeps on post or gives a beep code on error or is there a led display that shows a code when you power up?

Or is it not powering up at all?

If it's not powering up at all, try the PSU on your machine.. Just wire it up outside the case powering the motherboard and GPU, leave the drives.

If that works, try the same thing with your power supply on the new board. 

if it doesn't work try taking the board out of the case, only have the ram and cpu (with cooler) installed and try to power it... if still nothing then it's either a dead board or the bios needs flashed to accommodate the newer CPU.. Though it should at least turn on and give error code.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

did you turn the switch on? does the motherboard have a power LED? Can you measure voltage on EVERY rail on the power supply? I have had the same issue before and the power supply's 5v rail was dead, but everything else worked. I jumped green to black and plugged a fan in and just thought it was good. but it wasnt.

if your motherboard has a LED on it like this, does it light up? sorry for the bad picture but I'm pretty sure you can tell where it is.

Be sure that the power switch on the PSU is ON. 

Motherboard has a power LED, and it lights up when the PSU is ON. How would I go about measuring the voltage on the PSU's rails?

As @iamdarkyoshi has asked, is the PSU switch definitely on? Are there any LEDs?

If yes then try making sure you plugged the connectors from the front of the case into the right pins on the mobo 

Front panel is properly connected to the mobo.

Bios been updated for that chip?

Do you have any way of showing error codes, eg a case speaker that plugs into the board and beeps on post or gives a beep code on error or is there a led display that shows a code when you power up?

Or is it not powering up at all?

If it's not powering up at all, try the PSU on your machine.. Just wire it up outside the case powering the motherboard and GPU, leave the drives.

If that works, try the same thing with your power supply on the new board. 

if it doesn't work try taking the board out of the case, only have the ram and cpu (with cooler) installed and try to power it... if still nothing then it's either a dead board or the bios needs flashed to accommodate the newer CPU.. Though it should at least turn on and give error code.

I tried plugging in a speaker, didn't make any sounds. It seems like it's not powering on at all. 

I'm trying to boot with just the CPU and RAM currently. 

Shouldn't it at least power on even if the BIOS is outdated? I don't think I can update the BIOS without the computer powering on.

I tried plugging in a speaker, didn't make any sounds. It seems like it's not powering on at all. 

I'm trying to boot with just the CPU and RAM currently. 

Shouldn't it at least power on even if the BIOS is outdated? I don't think I can update the BIOS without the computer powering on.

Even if it's outdated it'd turn on (but into a boot loop), plug again every PSU cable (24 pin, 4 pin and IEC C13)

If it doesn't work try another PSU (if you've another pc)

Also if the BIOS is outdated you need a compatible CPU with the old BIOS version to update it...

This is a signature.

I figured it out! Turns out I had removed the CMOS-jumper because I thought it was a fan-connector dust cover. Everything works now lol

I figured it out! Turns out I had removed the CMOS-jumper because I thought it was a fan-connector dust cover. Everything works now lol

Haha, I have made silly mistakes before too. Stupid power supply switch... Even my MONITORS have a clunking power switch.