blame brandon

You can't just go blaming others. That is Linus's job. :P

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Btw, has anyone made a "Hitler Reacts to the Fury X" video yet? Or is that meme dead? :P

Btw, has anyone made a "Hitler Reacts to the Fury X" video yet? Or is that meme dead? :P

Not seen one yet but meme is still going strong there's one for the new Batman

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

How did AMD do their benchmarks? Seems like the Fury X isn't performing as expected.

How did AMD do their benchmarks? Seems like the Fury X isn't performing as expected.

Didn't they only show Far Cry 4 though? And it that game the Fury X even beats the Titan X. It was good ol' cherry picking.

Wait so what is soo special about these "gentle typhoon fans"???

They are really quiet, but at the same time they have really good pressure. They are mostly known as the best fans available among watercoolers and stuff along with Noise Blockers. 

LinusDropTips. I heard Linus dropped the AMD r9 Fury X

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Very disappointing.   I can honestly say I was hoping to be wrong about this card.  Sadly looks like I was right on the money.  

Performance and cost are right in line with a 980Ti.   That is fine.  But AMD needed a home run.  They needed to crush Nvidia's flagship and instead just ended up trading blows.    If market share was similar this would be fine.  But Market share is not even close at this point.  If Nvidia really wanted to screw over AMD they could do a 15% price cut across the board for 6 months and it owuld be the final nail in the coffin for AMD enthusiast graphics products.   

On top of that....  Sending a DOA card to one of the larger tech review sites?  Not very smart at all.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Very disappointing.   I can honestly say I was hoping to be wrong about this card.  Sadly looks like I was right on the money.  

Performance and cost are right in line with a 980Ti.   That is fine.  But AMD needed a home run.  They needed to crush Nvidia's flagship and instead just ended up trading blows.    If market share was similar this would be fine.  But Market share is not even close at this point.  If Nvidia really wanted to screw over AMD they could do a 15% price cut across the board for 6 months and it owuld be the final nail in the coffin for AMD enthusiast graphics products.   

On top of that....  Sending a DOA card to one of the larger tech review sites?  Not very smart at all.  

Didn't someone say Linus dropped the gpu? I might be mistaken let me see if I can find the post.

MainRig- CPU: 4790k, RAM: 32gb 2400mhz, MOBO: Maximus Formula VII, COOLING: Full EK cooling, GPU: Titan X SLI, PSU: 1200w evga , STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 4TB hybrid CASE: 760T, EXTRAS: Sleeved cables

SecondRig- CPU:4690K, RAM: 16gb 1600mhz, MOBO: Maximus Gene VII, COOLING: H105, GPU: 970ftw, PSU: EVG650W,  STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 3TB, CASE: 540air 

Steam: pizzatime6 Plus two other pc rigs and a craptop.

Didn't someone say Linus dropped the gpu? I might be mistaken let me see if I can find the post.

I believe he mentioned it in the video itself, but I could be mistaken.

I believe he mentioned it in the video itself, but I could be mistaken.

It was in the vessel office blog video I heard

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

So, 30% FPS improvement over the 290x. For 100% more money.

Wow.  Really helping innovate there, aren't they...

If they did that price cut, they'd probably start having to deal with anti-trust issues. There's a reason Nvidia takes the premium it enjoys for reasons other than pure profit.

It was in the vessel office blog video I heard

Yup, Linus dropped it in the office blog video and he even said that he hadn't even reviewed it yet and he already dropped it. God knows how many more times he dropped it on the way to the test bench....

Please release your own benchmarks in a separate video @LinusTech

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

I don't want to be overdramatic, but I think we're all fucked :-D If this is the best AMD can do with several years of research while not releasing a new GPU, then nVIdia can just sit on their ass, not doing anything substantial and be just fine... Just like Intel with their CPUs. I was hoping for this card to clearly beat the GTX 980 Ti, however that didn't happen and AMD won't have a proper new GPU for another few years, so let's enjoy the next several years of nothing happening in the GPU market, yay! -_-

It fell from the seat of his car to the pavement while still in the packaging.   This is a lot less abuse than a card would take in Shipping and handling on a normal day.  I seriously doubt that small tumble was the cause of it being DOA.   

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

fury's not sent out to reviewers my ass. 

I love how people are mad that its not faster than a 980ti for the same price. if I have to cards that are equally powerful, but ones smaller AND watercooled, im taking that one for the same price. 

Two things,

1. Linus specifically said he didn't have one and wasn't aware of one being sent on the 14th June.  And that was specifically about the 300 series.  That is also at the same time many reviewers where saying they hadn't got samples.  Given Linus's sample has not been replaced it's probably safe to assume that the reviewers got their cards all within the last week.  So yeah, when people where concerned reviewers didn't have cards, reviewers didn't actually have cards.

2. The hype train and marketing was leading people to believe the card was going to perform significantly better than it does, that and the fact that not everyone appreciates AIO cooling solutions, so some people have legitimate reasons to not be impressed.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

What are you guys talking about with the 1GB/s speed?

I take it that's 1 Gigabit per second for each of the 4096 lines of the memory bus, so, 4096 Gigabits pper second, or 512 Gigabytes per second. ...yeah, Luke got sloppy with the terminology. >.>

Two things,

1. Linus specifically said he didn't have one and wasn't aware of one being sent on the 14th June.  And that was specifically about the 300 series.  That is also at the same time many reviewers where saying they hadn't got samples.  Given Linus's sample has not been replaced it's probably safe to assume that the reviewers got their cards all within the last week.  So yeah, when people where concerned reviewers didn't have cards, reviewers didn't actually have cards.

2. The hype train and marketing was leading people to believe the card was going to perform significantly better than it does, that and the fact that not everyone appreciates AIO cooling solutions, so some people have legitimate reasons to not be impressed.

If they are under NDA are they allowed to say they have cards? not sure just legitimately curious. 

2. maybe theres drivers ussies to utlize the faster vram? that may relate to why they waited so long to send out cards? software wasnt ready yet? Im curious to see what the overclocking potential is. haven't looked much into it as Id never buy such a expensive card as I don't game hardly. 

If they are under NDA are they allowed to say they have cards? not sure just legitimately curious. 

2. maybe theres drivers ussies to utlize the faster vram? that may relate to why they waited so long to send out cards? software wasnt ready yet? Im curious to see what the overclocking potential is. haven't looked much into it as Id never buy such a expensive card as I don't game hardly. 

Linus did tell us that he had a furyX coming about 3 days before the release. So I suspect NDA doesn't prevent them from saying if they have one or not.  However Linus specifically said he had no products from AMD on the 14th, and because he was under no obligation to say that (NDA or not) if a reviewer like Linus says he doesn't have product and it turns out he does then that is a lie and effects his credibility, he would be better of saying nothing (and I dare say would have said nothing in that situation).  So long story short I think it's a safe bet that he wasn't lying, he didn't have any cards on the 14th.

On 2. there will definitely be improvements with drivers etc. I think it's fairly safe to assume we are going to see improvements from this card over the next few months.  However the card is a bit like a AAA title right now, it's been released but users can't do what they were lead to believe they can (consistently beat a titan and overclock) until the bugs are ironed out.   For me personally I grew up in an era when product wasn't sold until it was finished, and the product had to do what it said in the brochure. So when this sort of thing happens (with games, hardware and services) I get rather old fartish and start muttering under my breath "in my day..."

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Linus did tell us that he had a furyX coming about 3 days before the release. So I suspect NDA doesn't prevent them from saying if they have one or not.  However Linus specifically said he had no products from AMD on the 14th, and because he was under no obligation to say that (NDA or not) if a reviewer like Linus says he doesn't have product and it turns out he does then that is a lie and effects his credibility, he would be better of saying nothing (and I dare say would have said nothing in that situation).  So long story short I think it's a safe bet that he wasn't lying, he didn't have any cards on the 14th.

On 2. there will definitely be improvements with drivers etc. I think it's fairly safe to assume we are going to see improvements from this card over the next few months.  However the card is a bit like a AAA title right now, it's been released but users can't do what they were lead to believe they can (consistently beat a titan and overclock) until the bugs are ironed out.   For me personally I grew up in an era when product wasn't sold until it was finished, and the product had to do what it said in the brochure. So when this sort of thing happens (with games, hardware and services) I get rather old fartish and start muttering under my breath "in my day..."

1-ah okay, makes sense.

2. I think the issue in the pre-alphas and the in-devs. People with those assume a finished product, and people assume for it to be bug free and optimized. well, a alpha is to get features, then beta is to fix bugs/optimizations. People don't understand that. so now pre-alphas are half optimized, half features, sorta kinda works, we wasted time to fix things that will just get broken anyway pieces of software. and because of that and peoples expectations, now we get less from games. then AAA games, they fit the mold of half optimized/half buggy software now because of that movement for games. This may be coming to hardware.

that or, they advertised the date so much, they may of not been able to push the date back until it was ready. that and so much competition with nvidia, they would not be able to wait and lose sales.