[Build log] Air 00: Air 240 (shots of completed build!)

Necrodead

2d27gb4.png

By Necrodead

HARDWARE:

• Case: Corsair Air 240 (purchased)
  • M-ITX mobo: ASrock z97E (purchased)
  • Ram: 16 GB Gskill Trident X (Already own)
  • GPU: R9 295x2! (purchased)
  • CPU: i5 4690k (purchased)
  • PS: EVGA G2 1000W (purchased)

COOLING:

• Full PETG custom loop, 12mm OD (purchased)
  • Radiators: 2x Darkside 240mm (purchased)
  • CPU: Phobya acrylic clear waterblock (purchased)
  • GPU: EK acrylic clear waterblock Aquacomputer acrylic block
  • Fittings: Barrow silver fittings, (exactly the same as Bitspower hard tube compressions) (purchased)
  • Res: Barrow 65mm diameter 120mm long acrylic res 
  • Pump: SC600 pump (purchased)
  • Fans: 4x Enermax Vegas blue 120mm + 2x Corsair AF 120mm

PLAN:

• Wrapping exterior of case in white carbon fiber vinyl 
  • Acrylic panels for interior wrapped or painted
  • Painting frame and grills of air 240 in blue
  • Fan controller + temp gauge modded into case
  • Fan frames painted white, blades of AF fans in blue
  • Painting Rads either white or blue
  • Laser Cut acrylic radiator/fan shrouds
  • Vinyl logos keeping with the Unit 00 theme
  • Custom blue and white sleeved cables with darkside sleeving

This is a weekend project for me, so it may take a while to get this build underway, however I have the case already and the vinyl is on the way. No corners are being cut in this build, since I have a working PC already and I don't need to get this done right away. More updates will be posted as I get things done.

Please take a look at my other build, here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/339642-a-custom-water-cooled-amd-build-autocad-update-inc/?p=4630313

And some teaser phone shots of the 1st coat of blue.
2wbw74k.jpg
Power supply, I had to buy this to get moving on the custom cable sleeving. I know its overkill for this but I wanted something modular for my first attempt at full custom sleeving.
n51s05.jpg
Scratch that power supply, I went and bought a G2 1000W because... just because.

2d27gb4.png

I got my vinyl, oh boy.
28kn2hd.jpg
Did the one side panel.
2j5dit2.jpg
10cjjg5.jpg
I also did the next coat of paint, I have to wait 48 hours between coats. I may do one more or I may not depending on how it comes out.

2d27gb4.png

CPU:               -i5 4690k or Broadwell i5 (purchased)

PS:                  -EVGA B2 850 - EVGA G2 1000W (purchased)

Cooling:         -PETG water cooling w/ 2x 240mm Black Ice Sealth Darkside thin rads, Bitspower Barrow silver fittings and res, D5 pump SC600 pump (purchased)

So I've got the i5 on the way and I just ordered all my sleeving tools and remaining watercooling parts from Dazmode.com. They are away so it won't be shipped till after the 11th. I changed my rads to the darkside ones for 2 reasons, firstly they are about 50% less than I would spend on performance-pcs.com after tax and shipping, and I'm not sure the black ice ones would actually fit in the air 240. The darkside ones are the smallest I could find. However they are flat black and I will have to mod them. Also I was going to go with a bitspower cpu block, but I got a phobya one that I think will match the build better for only $40 CAD from Dazmode.

OK on to progress; I had need for a fan or 2 for exhaust and so I've painted a couple of the AF fans that came with the case. I found out you can take them apart which made them way easier to paint.
in8vwp.jpg
szzkth.jpg

Here is the paint on the case finished and ready to be built in. I will sleeve the I/O wires as well when I get materials.
x6lkxd.jpg

OVERKILL power supply. Any size supply fits in this case which is great. I was thinking of painting it white but I don't really want to void the 10 year warranty.
2qmgqjk.jpg

And here is the first finished side panel. Actually I'm going to put some blue carbon fiber in between the white bars where I couldn't get the vinyl to strech. Ordered and it should be here soon.
jpd2d0.jpg

2d27gb4.png

Darkside radiators getting a gloss white treatment:
9sqqmo.jpg

Finished wrapping the case in vinyl, I will save the pics of the case put together for some other time, It looks much better than I had hoped.
24g4uhk.jpg

eqqvf5.jpg

Spent so much time working on the wrapping and now the sleeving that I've had no time for updates, should have another when the PSU is sleeved.

2d27gb4.png

Cable time!
This was my first try at sleeving, and the other end is not pretty, haha. Since taking these pictures I've sleeved everything but the 24pin and the fans, TBH I am scared of the 24 pin after how difficult it was to get the other 8pins in order.

eqxkax.jpg

xas47n.jpg

1zmnte8.jpg

2d27gb4.png

Long time no update! But I'm back with progress. When the place I sent away my CNC cutting finally gets back I will be able to move on to final assembly and tubez.

So all my fittings came from China, they are rebranded bitspower, or at least look identical. They have a high quality nickel plate finish, so not chrome but close.
2lca6oz.jpg

Here is the pump (SC600, $20CAD) there was some videos on youtube of this pump and it was really quiet so I hope it works well. I do have a D5 in case but this pump is so small it will be easy to fit.
jahzbq.jpg

Here is the res, $25 CAD Barrow 110mm. (from China)
2hx4o6h.jpg

$8 fan controller, also from China. Looks identical to 'Kingwin' brand I've seen on newegg/NCIX
2qd8ubb.jpg

500GB SSD, Samsung 850EVO. $225 on sale, should have got it last month when they were only 200. Will eventually raid 0 with 2 drives.
2zhmfip.jpg

Fans have all had their frames painted white (yes I know they make white Vegas fans but these are white with blue LED's, can't buy that in a store.) And I decided to use the static pressure Corsair fans rather than the airflow ones because the air 240 has some restriction with the grills and whatnot. (also I have a little surprise in store, stay tuned)
29uy2i8.jpg

v4ruiv.jpg

2l91oxf.jpg

And what has been taking me so long; this! I used up all the blue sleeve and I have probably 2 feet of the white left to make a molex connector.
10fp2ti.jpg

My helper, taking a break... Again!
2r568ub.jpg

Just thought I would post some quick pictures of vinyl decals that I cut by hand to see what people think. What I did was print an outline of what I wanted and then cut through the paper and into the vinyl underneath with an exacto knife.

214tavd.jpg

sn08l4.jpg

2d27gb4.png

So I finally got my acrylic cut! I would have taken pictures but I was too excited to get it installed, so I covered it in the white vinyl and it fit like a glove. I did have another peice to cover the dual 40mm fan slots on the back, but I mis-measured and put the holes in the wrong spot so I think I am going to manually remake those. Aside from that I got a lot of it together. Unfortunately I only have room for one exhaust fan where I planned to put 2.
Also it looks like I have some really REALLY tight bends by the gpu, how tight can I bend PETG? lol.

14sidxx.jpg

1jsrxx.jpg

I kinda mangled the pci-e power while putting it through the back, have to fix..... :(
fbg7pg.jpg

CF vinyl on the sides of the DIMMs and painted the top of the heatsinks blue.
2gww593.jpg

2zdy5ac.jpg

Here is the back so far. Might use soft tube back here to make it easier.
2nlzbyw.jpg

Here is the 295x2, sans backplate. Oh right, I have a surprise there. I also installed a single PCIe bracket from the 6990 since it has the same i/o.
28rgxlh.jpg

Its brushed! I couldn't stand black and painting it white is what I did to my other computer... vinyl might not work well since the heat, etc. I used oven cleaner to remove the anodizing.
jazvh5.jpg

2d27gb4.png

There ended up being less room than I had thought inside the front of the case so I moved the fan controller to the rear HDD rack. This way it will be easy to access while the system is on and to also be removed from the front compartment. Its mounted with some 3M double-sided tape on a piece of acrylic I bent to make a bracket. I do lose the HDD slot though; however I have a 960GB Crucial SSD in the SSD caddy. :) btw thats a 1TB Seagate 7200rpm drive.
2pu0s51.jpg

23wqwkp.jpg

I made an acrylic plate and covered it in vinyl. I also added the other Nerv logo I made, which lights up nicely from the Darkside led strip above it.
11w7pud.jpg

This is my first PETG bending attempt, thats why I tried the back. Also lots of bends.
214dxzb.jpg

6fy54l.jpg

2d27gb4.png

My 295 assembled with its new finish on the backplate. Its hard to get good pictures of the brushing.
15pkhw1.jpg

The rest of the shots are for my glass window mod. Aww yeah, love dat glass. I bought a $4 picture frame in the size I wanted off of amazon and double sided 'tape-of-the-gods'd it on there.
4vo3ky.jpg

In this shot you can see the only other bend I can do before my angle fittings arrive, and also my phoyba cpu block.
30lyxjp.jpg

1424e2q.jpg

149be53.jpg

2d27gb4.png

Since the components only fit when the glass was on the outside, this is my solution. I've used some filler to build between the glass and the case so when I cover it in vinyl for the third and final time it will look like it was meant to be that way. *This is in progress, more layers of putty and sanding ahead, I know it looks bad now.
2yv2ma8.jpg

2gwe5bb.jpg
As you can see here I've moved my fans to the inside of the radiators, this just gives me more space.
2ef6bs0.jpg
You probably haven't seen the carbon fiber accent I put on the waterblock, so theres that.
312ehkj.jpg
And since someone suggested my res was dinky, I've upgraded to a slightly larger model of the same diameter. :P
4lm45e.jpg

2d27gb4.png

Liquid Ultra has arrived, and so de-liding!
rk4xv6.jpg

I used the non-hammer vice method as it was the least destructive. I tried with the razor but I got scared after I noticed I was starting to damage the PCB.
2hyxtab.jpg

Applying thermal paste
2hcp7d1.jpg

And back into the mobo. I didn't glue it back on or anything, although I've seen people do that as well.
2rnc42e.jpg

I've pretty much finished my window. The gpu waterblock fits now! :cool:
A lot of sanding later...
e8mnip.jpg

masked off and drew my window lines and then cut it out and then
2lw18jr.jpg

Peel off to reveal the window.
1088tnm.jpg

I was also thinking of gluing some screw or bolt heads around the window to make it look like its bolted in.
15naybn.jpg

2d27gb4.png
Just thought I would post some pictures I took while I wait for my fittings to arrive.
286wnsw.jpg

309ln38.jpg

vpj7kk.jpg

1z5j8go.jpg

I was thinking of wrapping my Enthoo Luxe in carbon, not sure how well it would stick though. Good luck! 

blackshades on

hey thats the same vinyl as mine :)
why so much though?

EDIT- or did you just get that pic from google...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I was thinking of wrapping my Enthoo Luxe in carbon, not sure how well it would stick though. Good luck! 

Thanks! Hopefully I can get it to stick in all those crazy corners the 240 has. Enthoo in CF would look wicked though.

hey thats the same vinyl as mine :)

why so much though?

EDIT- or did you just get that pic from google...

Yeah its the picture from the page I bought it from. I'd wrap my car if I had that much, lol. Also nice S340, I just checked out the CF you did on that, looks awesome. :)

Yeah its the picture from the page I bought it from. I'd wrap my car if I had that much, lol. Also nice S340, I just checked out the CF you did on that, looks awesome. :)

haha yeah

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Thanks! Hopefully I can get it to stick in all those crazy corners the 240 has. Enthoo in CF would look wicked though.

Where did you purchase that wrap from? 

blackshades on

Zankoku na tenshi no te-ze!

Specs look good, and you're going for the original anime blue Unit 00 it appears, and not the yellow look from the rebuilds :}

Following >~<

Totally following this! Air 240 owners unite!!

[spoiler=Blue^3http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/388528-blue3/ I5 4690k | Asrock Z97 Pro4 mATX | RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Blue Edition and Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Black Edition | GPU: XFX DD R9 390x | PSU: Corsair AX760 | SSD: Samsung 840- 120GB | Hard Drives: 2x1TB WD Blue | Watercooling Kit: XSPC Raystorm 240 

Zankoku na tenshi no te-ze!

Specs look good, and you're going for the original anime blue Unit 00 it appears, and not the yellow look from the rebuilds :}

Following >~<

Unit 00 will always be blue to me. :)

Totally following this! Air 240 owners unite!!

Blue + white FTW!

And some teaser phone shots of the 1st coat of blue.

2wbw74k.jpg

Power supply, I had to buy this to get moving on the custom cable sleeving. I know its overkill for this but I wanted something modular for my first attempt at full custom sleeving.

n51s05.jpg

Scratch that power supply, I went and bought a G2 1000W because... just because.

Picked up the 4690k from ebay. I was waiting for a deal to present itself for most of my parts and I was able to pick it up for 250CAD before tax. I also bought some Coolabratory Liquid Metal Ultra for delidding so I can get some real overclocking done with this chip.

Nice!

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Update 04

2d27gb4.png

CPU:               -i5 4690k or Broadwell i5 (purchased)

PS:                  -EVGA B2 850 - EVGA G2 1000W (purchased)

Cooling:         -PETG water cooling w/ 2x 240mm Black Ice Sealth Darkside thin rads, Bitspower Barrow silver fittings and res, D5 pump SC600 pump (purchased)

So I've got the i5 on the way and I just ordered all my sleeving tools and remaining watercooling parts from Dazmode.com. They are away so it won't be shipped till after the 11th. I changed my rads to the darkside ones for 2 reasons, firstly they are about 50% less than I would spend on performance-pcs.com after tax and shipping, and I'm not sure the black ice ones would actually fit in the air 240. The darkside ones are the smallest I could find. However they are flat black and I will have to mod them. Also I was going to go with a bitspower cpu block, but I got a phobya one that I think will match the build better for only $40 CAD from Dazmode.

OK on to progress; I had need for a fan or 2 for exhaust and so I've painted a couple of the AF fans that came with the case. I found out you can take them apart which made them way easier to paint.

in8vwp.jpg

szzkth.jpg

Here is the paint on the case finished and ready to be built in. I will sleeve the I/O wires as well when I get materials.

x6lkxd.jpg

OVERKILL power supply. Any size supply fits in this case which is great. I was thinking of painting it white but I don't really want to void the 10 year warranty.

2qmgqjk.jpg

And here is the first finished side panel. Actually I'm going to put some blue carbon fiber in between the white bars where I couldn't get the vinyl to strech. Ordered and it should be here soon.

jpd2d0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
2d27gb4.png

Darkside radiators getting a gloss white treatment:

9sqqmo.jpg

Finished wrapping the case in vinyl, I will save the pics of the case put together for some other time, It looks much better than I had hoped.

24g4uhk.jpg

eqqvf5.jpg

Spent so much time working on the wrapping and now the sleeving that I've had no time for updates, should have another when the PSU is sleeved. 

That wrapping looks amazing! Great job!

[spoiler=Blue^3http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/388528-blue3/ I5 4690k | Asrock Z97 Pro4 mATX | RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Blue Edition and Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Black Edition | GPU: XFX DD R9 390x | PSU: Corsair AX760 | SSD: Samsung 840- 120GB | Hard Drives: 2x1TB WD Blue | Watercooling Kit: XSPC Raystorm 240 

2d27gb4.png

Cable time!

This was my first try at sleeving, and the other end is not pretty, haha. Since taking these pictures I've sleeved everything but the 24pin and the fans, TBH I am scared of the 24 pin after how difficult it was to get the other 8pins in order.

eqxkax.jpg

xas47n.jpg

1zmnte8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

2d27gb4.png

Cable time!

eqxkax.jpg

xas47n.jpg

1zmnte8.jpg

where did you get the custom sleeves?

2d27gb4.png

Long time no update! But I'm back with progress. When the place I sent away my CNC cutting finally gets back I will be able to move on to final assembly and tubez.

So all my fittings came from China, they are rebranded bitspower, or at least look identical. They have a high quality nickel plate finish, so not chrome but close.
2lca6oz.jpg

Here is the pump (SC600, $20CAD) there was some videos on youtube of this pump and it was really quiet so I hope it works well. I do have a D5 in case but this pump is so small it will be easy to fit.
jahzbq.jpg

2hx4o6h.jpg

$8 fan controller, also from China. Looks identical to 'Kingwin' brand I've seen on newegg/NCIX
2qd8ubb.jpg

500GB SSD, Samsung 850EVO. $225 on sale, should have got it last month when they were only 200. Will eventually raid 0 with 2 drives.
2zhmfip.jpg

Fans have all had their frames painted white (yes I know they make white Vegas fans but these are white with blue LED's, can't buy that in a store.) And I decided to use the static pressure Corsair fans rather than the airflow ones because the air 240 has some restriction with the grills and whatnot. (also I have a little surprise in store, stay tuned)
29uy2i8.jpg

v4ruiv.jpg

2l91oxf.jpg

And what has been taking me so long; this! I used up all the blue sleeve and I have probably 2 feet of the white left to make a molex connector.
10fp2ti.jpg

2r568ub.jpg

2d27gb4.png

Cable time!

eqxkax.jpg

xas47n.jpg

1zmnte8.jpg

how do you sleeve cables?

I love the enermax vegas fans. One of the best looking fans out there for aesthetics. And not bad for performance

Archangel(z11 Build) CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.0 GPU: 2x Sapphire R9 290x RAM: 16GB GSkill Ripjaws V 2800 Mobo: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/AC Power Supply: Cougar CMX1000 Case: Zalman Z11 Plus HF1 Storage: 120GB Intel 520 SSD, 1TB WD Blue

Reptile(Dual G34) CPU: 2x Opteron 6172 RAM: 32GB DDR3 1866 ECC Mobo: Super Micro H8DGU-F Power Supply: Seasonic SS-660XP2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7k300 3TB

White Knight:(wife's build) CPU: A10-6800k GPU: MSI 7970 Lightning GHz BE RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury White 1866 Mobo: MSI A88x-g43 Power Supply: Seasonic M12II 520 Case: TT Commander Snow Edition Storage:1TB WD Blue

2d27gb4.png

2lca6oz.jpg

jahzbq.jpg

2hx4o6h.jpg

2qd8ubb.jpg

2zhmfip.jpg

29uy2i8.jpg

v4ruiv.jpg

2l91oxf.jpg

10fp2ti.jpg

2r568ub.jpg

where'd you buy the SC600 pump it seems to be a really good pump so I want it but i can't find it.THX :D