Cooling a PS4 with Noctua fans

I need help cooling my Play Station 4. I have it in a tight area inside of an entertainment center. my thought was to take 2 Noctua NF-A14 fans and cut square holes in the back and then mount them. I would exhaust the cubby so it pulls out the hot air blown from the back of the Play Station. My problem is getting power to them. I do not have a computer nearby. I have a few wall outlets nearby and the ps4 has usb ports. Open to suggestions thx!  :)

If it works fine as is why would you touch it?

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

PS4's get very hot when in use for a long time and thank you for the adapters I didn't even know those existed.

USB is just 5v the Noctuas are running very slow at 5v.

You could use a simple wall wart with fixed voltage or with changeable voltage for more flexibility.

USB is just 5v the Noctuas are running very slow at 5v.

You could use a simple wall wart with fixed voltage or with changeable voltage for more flexibility.

A what?

Open up the ps4 and solder on some wires where there's 12v power if you're brave and wanna have some fun. Otherwise just find an ac adapter. Thrift shops might have one.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

Thank you for explanation and I am not brave enough lol i will pick up an ac adapter.

You could try it with 5V USB if you have a few spare cables you're willing to sacrifice. It might be enough.

save the hassle and let this go

I like when my pc is hot as fuck it was born that way it's hardwares not humans.

Bruh this is a forum dedicated to a channel where they ghetto mod 3000 dollar CPUs. I think we can handle cooling a PS4.

Bruh this is a forum dedicated to a channel where they ghetto mod 3000 dollar CPUs. I think we can handle cooling a PS4.

I mean opening probs voids warranty and it wont look that elegant with a brown fan on top. Obviously sony designed it to withstand the temps cause it works under the heat, if it aint broke dont fix it. 

But hey its up to the OP thats just my advice

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

Not everyone can afford or needs a 3000$ cpu. I know it would be easy to do but does the OP really NEED to do it, its not like fps will improve.

I mean opening probs voids warranty and it wont look that elegant with a brown fan on top. Obviously sony designed it to withstand the temps cause it works under the heat, if it aint broke dont fix it. 

But hey its up to the OP thats just my advice

This is not about cooling the the device itself, it's to prevent the accumulation of heat inside a closed space like a rack. Otherwise the Playstation might intake the hot exhaust air and get really hot. The fans go in the back of his entertainment center, not in the Playstation.

I built something similar to deal with the heat produced by my AVR and it works very well.

• 3 weeks later...

I think what we are talking about here is a console in an enclosed cabinet that is just recycling its own hot air?

I had the same problem and fixed it with a couple Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition fans paired with one of these: http://amzn.com/B00QUCIQSK

The best way I found to cut holes in the back was a dremel with a circle cutter attachment. 
I originally had my fans set to exhaust like you are saying to do.

I ended up opting for intake and putting some cheap filters over the hole so I am not worrying about dust in the cabinet since with negative air pressure that did become a problem.

Check out Linus' videos on diy entertainment center cooling mods. 
http://bit.ly/1O1u06s Photos of my mod (before filters and flipping the fans around) are in the replies.

Let me know if you want photos or anything of the current setup. I do need to pull it out from the wall to clean the filters again soon.

This is not about cooling the the device itself, it's to prevent the accumulation of heat inside a closed space like a rack. Otherwise the Playstation might intake the hot exhaust air and get really hot. The fans go in the back of his entertainment center, not in the Playstation.

I built something similar to deal with the heat produced by my AVR and it works very well.

thank you for understanding Pinguin

I think what we are talking about here is a console in an enclosed cabinet that is just recycling its own hot air?

I had the same problem and fixed it with a couple Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition fans paired with one of these: http://amzn.com/B00QUCIQSK

The best way I found to cut holes in the back was a dremel with a circle cutter attachment. 

I originally had my fans set to exhaust like you are saying to do.

I ended up opting for intake and putting some cheap filters over the hole so I am not worrying about dust in the cabinet since with negative air pressure that did become a problem.

Check out Linus' videos on diy entertainment center cooling mods. http://bit.ly/1O1u06s Photos of my mod (before filters and flipping the fans around) are in the replies.

Let me know if you want photos or anything of the current setup. I do need to pull it out from the wall to clean the filters again soon.

so helpful thanks this is my exact problem. and this http://amzn.com/B00QUCIQSK supplies enough power