PS4 Hard Drive Upgrade

Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

~snip~

Hey Spirit_Hunter,

Getting a larger SSD would surely cost you more than the console itself so I wouldn't go for that. Also there are a number of reviews of people using SSDs on the PS4 and all of them reported that there was a very small gain in loading times.
SSHD has also been tried and said to not have almost any gains at all. 
I would go for a higher RPM regular HDD in order to improve the loading times a bit and still not go over budget for little to none gains. 
WD Green might be a good drive for this, but as the guys pointed out, the frequent powersaving features might interfere with the games' loading times. 
I would consider WD Black for fast performance and good loading times. It does have a limit of 1TB, though so if the 2TB size is a must, I would consider the WD Green.

Captain_WD.

Hey guys, 

I was looking at upgrading the old 500GB HDD in my PS4 since I was running out of space. 

Sony's requirements are that the HDD must be a 2.5 inch internal type (9.5mm or slimmer) and SATA. 

Sony Guide: https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5107/~/upgrade-ps4-hdd 

I found two possible drives and am i'm having trouble deciding on which one to get. 

Seagate Momentus Spinpoint 2TB 2.5" SATA II Notebook Hard Drive 9.5MM

Link: http://www.ncix.com/detail/seagate-momentus-spinpoint-2tb-2-5-13-108165.htm 

WD Green WD20NPVX 2TB 8MB Cache SATA 6.0GB/S 2.5IN Internal Hard Drive OEM

Link: http://www.ncix.com/detail/wd-green-wd20npvx-2tb-8mb-b0-90881.htm

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks.  :)

Yup, either should work. I'd go with the Spinpoint because the Green drive is more engineered towards power efficiency and may spin down automatically when idle, which could potentially cause freezing in games. This is all hypothetical but I'm pretty stuck with that concept.

Sig under construction.

Hey guys, 

I was looking at upgrading the old 500GB HDD in my PS4 since I was running out of space. 

Sony's requirements are that the HDD must be a 2.5 inch internal type (9.5mm or slimmer) and SATA. 

Sony Guide: https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5107/~/upgrade-ps4-hdd 

I found two possible drives and am i'm having trouble deciding on which one to get. 

Seagate Momentus Spinpoint 2TB 2.5" SATA II Notebook Hard Drive 9.5MM

Link: http://www.ncix.com/detail/seagate-momentus-spinpoint-2tb-2-5-13-108165.htm 

WD Green WD20NPVX 2TB 8MB Cache SATA 6.0GB/S 2.5IN Internal Hard Drive OEM

Link: http://www.ncix.com/detail/wd-green-wd20npvx-2tb-8mb-b0-90881.htm

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks.  :)

You should get a SSD.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

You should get a SSD.

Buying a 2TB SSD would be more expensive than the PS4 LOL 

You should get a SSD.

Please don't quote full OP .

Also , since he's running out of space on a 500GB HDD , which means he needs >500GB which means SSDs are out of the question unless he wants to pay the whole price of the console and more , for just storage .

def the seagate.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Please don't quote full OP .

Also , since he's running out of space on a 500GB HDD , which means he needs >500GB which means SSDs are out of the question unless he wants to pay the whole price of the console and more , for just storage .

Buying a 2TB SSD would be more expensive than the PS4 LOL 

Does it not have more than one drive bay?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

Does it not have more than one drive bay?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha . It's a damned console , of course not .

There's also the Samsung M9T, which I think was the original laptop-sized 2TB drive.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Could he opt for an SSHD?

Technically yes , since the process is of caching is handled internally by the SSHD 

Dont some sshd's show up as two volumes? (The SSD portion and the HDD portion) I think i might run into compatibility issues with one or only be able to use one volume. 

There's also the Samsung M9T, which I think was the original laptop-sized 2TB drive.

I've been looking at that particular drive too, but there have been some reported compatibility issues. 

I've been looking at that particular drive too, but there have been some reported compatibility issues. 

Could be, I wouldn't know, the reviews paint it in quite a positive light, and there are quite a few who used it for their PS4. Maybe it was the PS4's OS problem that got solved?

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

I should mention

you can install a 4tb+ hdd for ps4

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

~snip~

Hey Spirit_Hunter,

Getting a larger SSD would surely cost you more than the console itself so I wouldn't go for that. Also there are a number of reviews of people using SSDs on the PS4 and all of them reported that there was a very small gain in loading times.
SSHD has also been tried and said to not have almost any gains at all. 
I would go for a higher RPM regular HDD in order to improve the loading times a bit and still not go over budget for little to none gains. 
WD Green might be a good drive for this, but as the guys pointed out, the frequent powersaving features might interfere with the games' loading times. 
I would consider WD Black for fast performance and good loading times. It does have a limit of 1TB, though so if the 2TB size is a must, I would consider the WD Green.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

I should mention

you can install a 4tb+ hdd for ps4

You can yes, but that means adding a box on top of your 'sleek' playstation xD

To be honest, I want to try manufacturing a whole '3rd' 'layer' of a PS4, and putting a raid array in there. Frankly out of curiocity whether I'll see any gains. (raid 10 or 0 probably, with 4-6 laptop hdds).

EDIT: the third layer will have to be at the top, as that's where the HDD access is. xD

lnQORhQ.png

Dont some sshd's show up as two volumes? (The SSD portion and the HDD portion) I think i might run into compatibility issues with one or only be able to use one volume. 

no . you must be thinking of the dual drive from WD . thats a combo drive , not a HDD with SSD cache

To be fair, that would be a waste of space on Sony's part. Imagine how few people would actually use that. Handy? Yes. Generally necessary considering the space could be used otherwise? No.

I think it's amazing in itself that the PS4 is modular in this regard.  :D

I run an SSHD in my PS4, and haven't had an issue. They work just fine.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

The WD disc my laptop came with clicks a lot, like every 2 minutes because it shutsdown to save power,  I would think it may cause a bit of slowdown when playing and waiting a second for it to spin up again.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

The WD disc my laptop came with clicks a lot, like every 2 minutes because it shutsdown to save power,  I would think it may cause a bit of slowdown when playing and waiting a second for it to spin up again.

Hey @Sors ,

What's the drive model in your computer? You can find this in Device manager, BIOS or Disk Management as well as with any benchmark or diagnostic utility.
Some laptops come with low-power drives with energy-saving features that force the drive to spin down much more often than others in order to save power and lower noise levels (much like WD Green: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=MQK5R4 )
I would recommend running WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool to check the drive's health just to be on the safe side and make sure it's safe to store your data there. Here's a link: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=YbWN2k

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

@captain_WD

The WD drive I had is a WD7500BPVT, I'm using it now as an external drive with a USB enclosure, and no it's not failing, crystaldisk doesn't report any problems.

I replaced it with a Toshiba MQ01ABD100, it's faster and doesn't make any noise.

Hey guys, how much of a difference theoretically would a SSD do for the PS4?

If you don't mind about the money, a big SSD can't hurt.   But I can't really justify buying a 500 GB SSD for a PS4,  I would rather get a 1 TB or 2 TB drive instead.