Are they not using the CPU to do the transcoding/rendering of the video?

Yes, thus the question of why 2-way Titan X's? Form of click-bate. If they wanted to make a pro render system, put pro parts into it besides the free Xeons the got from Intel. Still a nice system but putting a $2,000 dual card in a non-gaming focused system makes no sense if you can put in a Quadro K5200 for around $1,800 

Zeus: Dual Xeon E5-2695v3 | 128GB DDR4 ECC | Asus Z10PE-D16 WS | 2-way SLI EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 | Corsair AX1200i | Fractal Design Define XL R2 | Das KB & Razor Chroma mouse

Yoda: HP DL380p Gen8 | Dual Xeon E5-2697v2 | 256GB DDR3 ECC | Dual Nvidia Tesla K40c | Dual 1200w PSU | 3X 146GB 15K SAS 2.5" HDD | CentOS 7 | Headless

Yes, thus the question of why 2-way Titan X's? Form of click-bate. If they wanted to make a pro render system, put pro parts into it besides the free Xeons the got from Intel. Still a nice system but putting a $2,000 dual card in a non-gaming focused system makes no sense if you can put in a Quadro K5200 for around $1,800 

I'm guessing they wanted to use CUDA acceleration as the Titan X has 3072 Cores while the Quadro K5200 has only 2304 Cores. If they're not going to use CUDA I'm not sure why they are using those cards.

Human intelligence decreases with increasing proximity to oncoming traffic.

I'm guessing they wanted to use CUDA acceleration as the Titan X has 3072 Cores while the Quadro K5200 has only 2304 Cores. If they're not going to use CUDA I'm not sure why they are using those cards.

The problem is that CUDA on the Titan X's are not certified by Adobe. Quadro is MUCH faster at rendering in pro applications or even just plan old Adobe Premiere. 

Zeus: Dual Xeon E5-2695v3 | 128GB DDR4 ECC | Asus Z10PE-D16 WS | 2-way SLI EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 | Corsair AX1200i | Fractal Design Define XL R2 | Das KB & Razor Chroma mouse

Yoda: HP DL380p Gen8 | Dual Xeon E5-2697v2 | 256GB DDR3 ECC | Dual Nvidia Tesla K40c | Dual 1200w PSU | 3X 146GB 15K SAS 2.5" HDD | CentOS 7 | Headless

Again, I think it's primarily used to get gamers to watch the video more - most LTT viewers are going to want to watch a video with dual Titan X's - wow, oh so sexy - than a more purpose driven true pro card like a Quadro that's out of the price range and usability of most gamers. 

Your office is really messy. I guess you are busy preparing your move

While Linus is here enjoying his 36 core monster, I'm still here using this :D

vzmMua1.png

Of all the updates on the processing server so far I enjoyed this one the most. Maybe because it was much less painful to watch. hmmm ;D

Again, I think it's primarily used to get gamers to watch the video more - most LTT viewers are going to want to watch a video with dual Titan X's - wow, oh so sexy - than a more purpose driven true pro card like a Quadro that's out of the price range and usability of most gamers.

Are you really making this argument in a build featuring $9000 worth of CPUs?

Just saying...the graphics card are almost the cheapest thing here. Even Quaddros would be "affordable" compared to the mobo/CPU here.

Are you really making this argument in a build featuring $9000 worth of CPUs?

Just saying...the graphics card are almost the cheapest thing here. Even Quaddros would be "affordable" compared to the mobo/CPU here.

Nope. My argument is same CPU but buying a quadro k5200 that would be better suited for rendering and save $200 over dual Titan X's that are game oriented.

Im re-watching part 3 right now,

But what in this setup is relying on SMB?

From what I gathered so far: the ssd storage server has the smb share(s) that the rendering machine is setup to "watch"

But I havent figured out why during the WAN show, Linus said he was trying to setup a 4 NIC port bond/team/aggregation that utilizes "all the bandwidths." 

The rendering machine and the ssd storage server should have multiple 10Gb NICs... so why the extra work to setup that  nic team?

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

• 4 weeks later...

I hope so. I really enjoy the server stuff. it's like what tek syndicate does with the wonderful unprofessionalism that comes with LMG.

That's the part I don't like. The xeon zip tie thing made me want to punch an infant. I know it's dumb to get annoyed over but I just don't see the point in possibly wasting all that time and effort and then using zip ties to hold the cooler on. Linus employs a whole team of editors, camera people and talent and then half asses 50% of everything... At least the videos are edited and shot nicely I guess. 

And Linus, if you read this, sorry to always bitch and be negative. You're pretty awesome and I love the channel/forum, I'm just a negative nancy most of the time. 

• 1 month later...

This

So what happened with the dual video card config?

Last time in part 2 it did not work with neither the ASUS board, nor the Supermicro one. They did not even post. (At least the ASUS, the supermicro I guess booted after proper CPU mounting, just did not work with dual graphic cards.)

So what changed?
What motherboard do you use? (It's not the first Supermicro, cause it did have 10G eth, right?)
Did you need special custom built BIOS?

Really would like more details, please @nicklmg