Basement Water Cooling Project (No More Remote Trigger - July/8/2016)

Update #12 - Removed the "Remote Trigger". Pump now turns on w/ PC - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/391250-basement-water-cooling-project-buckets-are-dumb-10242015-update/?page=7#comment-8034799
q9Ah4VKh.jpg

Update #11 - Finalized Reservoir! Buckets are dumb. Likely 2nd to last update ever! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/391250-basement-water-cooling-project-3-month-check-in-update-10192015/#entry6339372

0sf2mbM.jpg

Update #10 - New Pump - Koolance PMP-500. The 3-MDQ-SC is BAD! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/391250-basement-water-cooling-project-3-month-check-in-update-10192015/?p=6312759

7lm2H8N.jpg

Update #9 - Changed the reservoir, system still in great shape! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/391250-basement-water-cooling-project-3-month-check-in-update-10192015/page-8#entry6299196

9gaqILy.jpg

Update #8 - PROJECT COMPLETE. RESULTS IN LINK! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/391250-basement-water-cooling-project-will-be-completed-on-july-9th-or-july-10th/?p=5421114

84JcSXXh.jpg

Update #7 - TESTING THE UPSTAIRS LOOP! w/o the system plugged in. - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/391250-basement-water-cooling-project-will-be-completed-on-july-9th-or-july-10th/?p=5382796

Fv8DCxhh.jpg

Update #6 - Piping Installed. Quick Disconnects Tested & More! -

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/391250-basement-water-cooling-project-assembly-begins-629/?p=5361539
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/391250-basement-water-cooling-project-assembly-begins-629/?p=5381390

uIGbDN9h.jpg

Hxe7mllh.jpg

Update #5 - Assembly Begins!...Kind of - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/391250-basement-water-cooling-project-parts-arrived-629/?p=5352207

4CPqXh6h.jpg

Update #4 - Parts Arrived! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/391250-basement-water-cooling-project-most-purchases-made-624/page-7#entry5349148

Cih1CGgl.jpg

Update #3 - Holes Drilled. Awaiting Parts Now - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/391250-basement-water-cooling-project-most-purchases-made-624/?p=5311441

WeBVm3Ll.jpg

Update #2 - Home Depot Purchases - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/391250-basement-water-cooling-project-most-purchases-made-624/?p=5310291

ZwfVosw.jpg

Update #1 - Shopping Cart Adventures - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/391250-basement-water-cooling-project-pre-purchase-phase-621/?p=5292993

Hey guys! Just making this thread to go over a project I'm working on, and if there's any experts out there who can chime in on things I'm planning horribly incorrectly, feel free :). I won't be getting heavily into work on this until probably August, but I wanted to post about it now, so I know what I'm buying.

I'm looking to cool my computer by running a water-cooling system into my basement, and having the pump, radiator, and reservoir be downstairs. I'm doing this because my computer room is small, gets hot quickly when the door is closed (and decently hot when it's open). I own and live in this house, and it has no central air conditioning. I have an air conditioner in my computer room, but here comes another problem. I do lots of in-game video recording for YouTube as my job, and this also includes the occasional live-streaming. As you can imagine, running an air conditioner while recording or streaming is a big no-no. So for me, the solution is to kick the heat into the 1000sq ft basement, and make the PC dead-silent in the process.

The General Plan

diagram.png

I plan on running normal water cooling equipment except for the pump (listed below). I also want a decent sized reservoir, because it'll be in the basement, and I also want to have an anti-bacterial set in place BEFORE starting up the system, so I don't have things growing in the loop later on down the line.

I plan on water cooling the CPU (3960x) & the Graphics Card (GTX980).

Now where I'm running into a snag is just knowing exactly what I'm gonna need component wise, fitting wise, and knowing the best type of piping to run through my floor, into my basement, aside from what's gonna be needed for the normal water cooling equipment.

Equipment

(Mostly all up in the air right now)

Pump : http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-580507-Magnetic-Aquarium/dp/B00BUFWX7W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_86_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1AN872MKS4QQ7XCRQH4X
2-MDQ-SC. Same one Linus used in Whole Room Water Cooling initially. After watching through the series again, I discovered the pump has around 12-15 feet of head pressure, which is perfect for this project. This component is likely not going to change.

Radiator?http://www.performance-pcs.com/alphacool-nexxxos-monsta-480-radiator.html
This one I'm mostly sure will be fine. I'm running an i7 Extreme 3960x, and a single GTX 980. I won't ever go SLI, as my primary game for my channel, Minecraft, doesn't support it, and the system kicks ass anyways.

Reservoir ? : http://www.amazon.com/PA-E-RO-122-Reverse-Osmosis-pressure/dp/B00A7GFVI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434952936&sr=8-1&keywords=RO-122

This is the right idea, but has no inlet, and idk if it would allow for a good free-flow of water.

Other Components? : Obviously these are going to fall under the normal water cooling gear, like blocks, Primoflex tubing (not sure if I'd have any interest in hard-piping just yet), etc. I'm pretty sure I'll be using 3/8'' ID 5/8'' OD compression fittings all around, and when the tubes leave the computer case, they will be doing so w/ a 90 degree elbow out of the holes built into the Corsair 450D, so the tubing can go straight down.

I also plan on using either copper piping to run through the floor, unless a better option exists. I also want to have quick disconnect fittings on the tubing between the case and the floor, in case I ever need to swap those out to clean the system for whatever reason. Just a good precaution. Aside from the hard piping running through the floor, the whole system will likely be running on Primoflex tubing both in the computer, outside the computer, and in the basement, just so I have some play room with where everything can be positioned.

That's pretty much it for now! I know it's a project I'm gonna do, so I don't want anyone to talk me out of it :P. Just looking to take the best route with it. Hope it sounds cool to you guys!

And yes, it was partially inspired by Whole Room Water Cooling Project.

Screenshot_3.png

Hey guys! Just making this thread to go over a project I'm working on, and if there's any experts out there who can chime in on things I'm planning horribly incorrectly, feel free :). I won't be getting heavily into work on this until probably August, but I wanted to post about it now, so I know what I'm buying.

Following this.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

This looks really "cool!" Get it? Cool??  :P

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

lol i was wondering why your username sounded familiar then i read that you did youtube and you livestreamed and i remembered that i watched alot of your vids xD

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

lol i was wondering why your username sounded familiar then i read that you did youtube and you livestreamed and i remembered that i watched alot of your vids xD

*facedesk*

He has 2 million subs.

He has 2 million subs.

i know

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

and a car thread ! 

*facedesk*

I feel honored to meet you. 

You too, and anyone else I meet in this topic! (Just so I don't have to do individual replies, I wanna keep the thread mostly on topic, but some chitter chatter is fine)

lol this is like the last place id think of seeing a youtuber but hey therer normal people with questions about computers so i guess it happens :P

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

You too, and anyone else I meet in this topic! (Just so I don't have to do individual replies, I wanna keep the thread mostly on topic, but some chitter chatter is fine)

Sure. For a res maybe go for a 5.25? http://www.xoxide.com/xpsc-x2o-750-dual-bayres-pump-v4-black.htmlIt matches your color scheme, too. So... BONUS POINTS!

this looks like it will be a pretty sweet project and i hope it turns out great, if you have a big enough pump in the basement you shouldnt need a extra pump in the pc, im pretty sure the only reason linus had put a pump in each pc is due to the fact that the water had to flow up and down into so many computers

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

Sure. For a res maybe go for a 5.25? http://www.xoxide.com/xpsc-x2o-750-dual-bayres-pump-v4-black.htmlIt matches your color scheme, too. So... BONUS POINTS!

didnt he say he wanted to res in the baSEMENT THOUGH ?  ( i really hate caps lock )

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

Hmm. I suppose I'm fine with something of this size, but I had it in my mind for it to be a little bigger, but I guess all in all, this would be fine running separately. I'm also thinking of having everything sit on a table in the basement, and be screwed into wooden feet that could slide into a locking mechanism, so the system has no chance of falling to the floor, or anything like that.

EDIT: Oh wait, this is also a pump. No, not what I need. The pump is already decided on. I don't plan on having a pump in the computer, unless it's absolutely required. Not sure if it is.

I tried a thing, but I don't know much about water cooling so please correct me, but do you think this is a suitable reservoir? http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2184/ex-res-104/XSPC_525_Bay_Reservoir_-_Clear_Silver_Black.html

That's definitely the right idea, but I think the one I posted is what I'll be after. A double 5.25" bay res, or bigger will be good.

Edit: Just for fun, was watching the Whole Room Project again on YouTube, and the pump has 12 feet of head pressure. Perfect for this project.

That's definitely the right idea, but I think the one I posted is what I'll be after. A double 5.25" bay res, or bigger will be good.

Edit: Just for fun, was watching the Whole Room Project again on YouTube, and the pump has 12 feet of head pressure. Perfect for this project.

ya the pump seems good but i would get a bit bigger res since your loop is going to take alot of watter to fill depending on how far your have to run your tubes to get upstairs, plus that pump looks like it moves alot of water so having that extra water in the res might come in handy

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

ya the pump seems good but i would get a bit bigger res since your loop is going to take alot of watter to fill depending on how far your have to run your tubes to get upstairs, plus that pump looks like it moves alot of water so having that extra water in the res might come in handy

That's exactly what I had in mind. Like, I'm thinking 1-3 gallons for a reservoir. 

just to update you so you know ive seen a few of your vids i think your in the usa correct? if so frozencpu is dead so performance-pcs is about what is left there are some smaller ones around but there there the last big one in the us . there is also microcenter which up to about a month ago frozen was there vendor and they were slowly eatting thur the stock they carry alot of EKWB's products now dont know if you got one local to you

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

Hi Antvenom, a little introduction here.

I'm Seth from Cubical Productions. I've been following you for a long time (almost three years), and in fact you were one of my inspirations for starting my production work near full-time. It's great to actually be able to help you out and know that we both have similar interests on this part.

So, I'm looking at your plan, and I like it a lot. I won't tell you what to do, because you're likely going off of a lot of what was done in the Whole Room Water Cooling series. The things I'd consider are this:

• Modular Construction: If you plan on making this a permanent setup, make sure you have a way to detach everything so that replacing components is a simplified process. If a particular part fails, you need to be able to replace it relatively quickly and efficiently without having to take the whole thing apart. You already have this partially figured out with your quick-disconnect tube fittings, but make sure the rest of it is likewise constructed.
  • Quality: Even though Linus started doing some pretty shady stuff with his setup in the YouTube series, you can take your time and make sure everything works right. If you have to go out of your way to make some things work like he did, it might need more thinking-over to find a better solution that won't be a hassle.
  • Time: In terms of construction time, I imagine you have plenty of it. Make sure to pace yourself and thoroughly plan the process. You've got a diagram, so I assume you've put a lot of thought into the entire thing already. Just have your entire procedure planned on a checklist.

I'm sure you're much more knowledgeable than me on the particulars of the components. I'm only soon getting a Corsair H80i installed with my new rig, and it will be my first liquid-cooling experience. The only other thing I can say is get ready to get a little messy! I look forward to keeping up on the latest with your project.

That's exactly what I had in mind. Like, I'm thinking 1-3 gallons for a reservoir. 

ya, you might be able to find something on amazon like that

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

Hi Antvenom, a little introduction here.

I'm Seth from Cubical Productions. I've been following you for a long time (almost three years), and in fact you were one of my inspirations for starting my production work near full-time. It's great to actually be able to help you out and know that we both have similar interests on this part.

So, I'm looking at your plan, and I like it a lot. I won't tell you what to do, because you're likely going off of a lot of what was done in the Whole Room Water Cooling series. The things I'd consider are this:

• Modular Construction: If you plan on making this a permanent setup, make sure you have a way to detach everything so that replacing components is a simplified process. If a particular part fails, you need to be able to replace it relatively quickly and efficiently without having to take the whole thing apart. You already have this partially figured out with your quick-disconnect tube fittings, but make sure the rest of it is likewise constructed.
  • Quality: Even though Linus started doing some pretty shady stuff with his setup in the YouTube series, you can take your time and make sure everything works right. If you have to go out of your way to make some things work like he did, it might need more thinking-over to find a better solution that won't be a hassle.
  • Time: In terms of construction time, I imagine you have plenty of it. Make sure to pace yourself and thoroughly plan the process. You've got a diagram, so I assume you've put a lot of thought into the entire thing already. Just have your entire procedure planned on a checklist.

I'm sure you're much more knowledgeable than me on the particulars of the components. I'm only soon getting a Corsair H80i installed with my new rig, and it will be my first liquid-cooling experience. The only other thing I can say is get ready to get a little messy! I look forward to keeping up on the latest with your project.

Yup, I've had all this in mind. I'll have quick disconnect fittings between the PC and the floor, and then another set in the basement to disconnect the res / pump / rad from the system in case they need cleaning or something.

And Linus just made the mistake of thinking automotive antifreeze was also a biocide. If he accounted for that properly in the beginning, I think he wouldn't have had stuff grow in the loop. I'll be accounting for all that before the system is turned on for the first time.

And I don't think this will be taking too long to do after planning is done and everything is purchased. My guess is it'll be an all day, one day project.

You're doing this wrong.....kinda thing that can be cleared up in a Skype call faster than typing, but oh well for the beneft of everyone:

You don't want to hook up an industrial pump to your desktop.  None of the waterblocks or fittings are designed for those sorts of pressures.  You'll run into problems.

Second, you want to make 2 loops.  1 for the desktop, one for the loop running to the basement.  This protects your desktop from contamination (this is where Linus was being retarded), and makes it so you can save the "expensive" tubing and coolant for a short desktop loop and the cheap garden hose and tap water for the loop going to the basement.

Have one of these next to your desktop: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300979973111?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You'll need fittings to adapt to NPT but McMaster has all that.

Use a regular D5 pump circulating between the heat exchanger and the desktop.

Buy an Iwaki AC pump you can put in the basement and use 5/8" barbs throughout along with plain Walmart garden hose to connect to the other side of the heat exchanger.  McMaster again will have all the 5/8 -> 1/2 stuff you need to adapt to the radiator.

EDIT: I'm basically already running what you want to do except with chillers instead of radiators.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)