M2 vs Sata Samsung 850 Evo

WhiskeyOmega
Go to solution Solved by Sakkura,

Not with the 850 Evo, it uses a SATA controller either way and will run exactly the same in M2 and SATA form. Basically the M2 version just uses the M2 slot to send the same old SATA signals.

I see from the specs that the IOPS are the same. But is there any advantage to M2 over Sata at this time as i hope to get a 500GB SSD this week.

CPU: Intel i7 4930k 5Ghz RAM: GSkill Trident X 2400Mhz MOBO: Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition  GPU: Asus Strix 1080ti OC 2067Mhz PSU: Corsair AX1200i Case: Coolermaster C700P 

Cooling: Corsair H100i with 2 ML120s & 4 HD140s

SSDs: 1.75TB Samsung SSD's + 10TB HDD'sOS: Windows 10 Insiders Build Fast Ring - Monitors: Asus PB287Q 4K  -  Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum MX Brown 

Audio: Asus Xonar STX + Senn HD650

Not with the 850 Evo, it uses a SATA controller either way and will run exactly the same in M2 and SATA form. Basically the M2 version just uses the M2 slot to send the same old SATA signals.

Ok I'll save some money then and get the Sata version. Couldn't see any M2 SSDs that give a significant performance increase for good money anyway.

CPU: Intel i7 4930k 5Ghz RAM: GSkill Trident X 2400Mhz MOBO: Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition  GPU: Asus Strix 1080ti OC 2067Mhz PSU: Corsair AX1200i Case: Coolermaster C700P 

Cooling: Corsair H100i with 2 ML120s & 4 HD140s

SSDs: 1.75TB Samsung SSD's + 10TB HDD'sOS: Windows 10 Insiders Build Fast Ring - Monitors: Asus PB287Q 4K  -  Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum MX Brown 

Audio: Asus Xonar STX + Senn HD650

Yeah the fast M2 SSDs are expensive. I hope they'll come down in price over the next year or so, as PCIe-based storage is supposed to go mainstream with the Skylake platform.

Depends on your motherboard, whethre is supports pcie or nvme or its just linked to the sata controller. Either way real life usage wont differ much between an uberfast pcie/m.2 compared to a fast Sata ssd.