Notebook: Dual or Quad core

Saturoz

I've been looking at notebooks lately since i want to pick one up to use as replacement for the one I use for college/travel.

Now, I’ve narrowed my choice down to two different ones, with the difference being a dual core 15-4210H and 8 gigs of ram in one, and an quad core i7-4710HQ and 12 gigs of ram in the other. The rest of the specs are pretty much identical, with the i7 costing around $190 more.

Basically, my question is if it is worth the additional cost? I plan to use it for light gaming and college assignments, which include things like graphic design and model rendering. Thing is that I also have a high-end desktop at home on which I will do both those things as well.

So I’ve been thinking about this for a long time and decided to ask if any of you would have any helpful information to help me decide.

if your going to use it for graphic design, Rendering and The like then By all means get the i7. I've never really liked the i5 laptop processors because of it's two cores. i5 Desktop processors on the other hand is great. But yeah I'd go with the i7 especially with a laptop 

CPU: I5 7400 | Motherboard: MSI H110M  | RAM: 16GB G-Skill 2400mhz  | GPU:  NVIDIA  MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 | Case: Tecware Quad | Cooling: Stock| Storage: Kingston 120gb SSD, 1TB Drive ,  | PSU: Seasonic 620 Watt 80+ Bronze Full Modular | Display: Devant 50 Inch Smart TV   | 

GeForce 840M on both, both have a 1tb hdd, same exterior, same screen (1920x1080), same battery, same everything else basically.

And i wonder how much it really matters since i can do most of the heavy workload stuff on my desktop.

i7 most definitely. The i5 is good if you are doing light work, but if you do content creation  go with the i7.