Dual Xeon Build! (LGA 1366 + R9 295x2)

Octavialicious

Oh no... I wanted to see how it looked but the pics wont load...

[spoiler=Blue^3http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/388528-blue3/ I5 4690k | Asrock Z97 Pro4 mATX | RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Blue Edition and Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Black Edition | GPU: XFX DD R9 390x | PSU: Corsair AX760 | SSD: Samsung 840- 120GB | Hard Drives: 2x1TB WD Blue | Watercooling Kit: XSPC Raystorm 240 

I ran 4k gaming from a 2ghz 8 core Ivy and it was no slower than my 3970x @ 4.9ghz at the same res. Once you get to 4k the CPU hardly matters at all. I'm loving 4k tbh.

You got 4.9 on a 3970X? What Voltage? I'm picking up a G3358 from Micro Center, because my 3930K is limiting in Valley.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

You got 4.9 on a 3970X? What Voltage? I'm picking up a G3358 from Micro Center, because my 3930K is limiting in Valley.

Epic chip, only limitation for me was the H110. Had I been on a proper loop then sky would have been the limit tbh.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Looks like fun. Will be sure to check back here. P.S. Thats a beast motherboard right there! :P

Don't worry, it's going to work. If you had 2 R9 290Xs then I might be be a bit concerned, but with the 295x2 the crossfire connection takes place entirely on the graphics card itself, so whether or not your motherboard supports crossfire is irrelevant. The issue Linus had doesn't even apply here because on a hardware level your motherboard will only see that there is one physical card. Its the drivers that tell your computer that there is actually 2 separate GPUs.

To my knowledge there is a plx chip on the gpu so it should show up as 2 separate pci-e devices  

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

• 1 month later...

Sorry I have never uploaded full res pics, but here they are :) This iteration has a 980Ti, loving it so far!

w1IODTX.png

hPvDVRF.png

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

• 3 months later...

Really awesome build man :D

I just got most of the parts for my own X8DTi build and it look verry promessing as a platform. Mine will be used as a server only, but I tryed to play game with my gtx 680 on it and it performs just as good or better than with my E3-1230!

By the way, where did you get a board this prestine??? look like it came in the original box with the socket plastic cover and it look brand new!

Also, did you ever get issues with the southbridge chipset getting hot?

Anyways, keep posting all your 1366 Xeon goodness, and have a nice weekend!

Which super micro board did you use? And does the graphics card performance take a hit because of the pcie 2.0 slot?

Not at all :)

Really awesome build man :D

I just got most of the parts for my own X8DTi build and it look verry promessing as a platform. Mine will be used as a server only, but I tryed to play game with my gtx 680 on it and it performs just as good or better than with my E3-1230!

By the way, where did you get a board this prestine??? look like it came in the original box with the socket plastic cover and it look brand new!

Also, did you ever get issues with the southbridge chipset getting hot?

Anyways, keep posting all your 1366 Xeon goodness, and have a nice weekend!

I bought mine used on ebay, I guess I just got lucky :)

I definitely heard of people getting the southbridge hot, but I have never had any problems (keep in mind my Air 540 has great airflow)

You too! :D  For christmas I am going out and buying noctua fans to replace the airflow and radiator fans, and I'm buying a new GPU cooler which will let me put noctua fans on the GPU too! Then I'm going to turn them all down to low, and it will genuinely be  a "silent build"

May have to swap out the PSU for a fanless one, but it will be the quietest pc you can build without going with passive cooling. (I even have SSDs too, so no HDD noise) I'll try to post it if I remember :P

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Would you give your opinion on the parts list I have been putting together for a little while? I would really like some one else opinion on my build.

Would you give your opinion on the parts list I have been putting together for a little while? I would really like some one else opinion on my build.

Sure, feel free to send me a pm :)

• 3 weeks later...

Silence update!

9c2e88284c9d8f6fff91dfd9d7d03cac.png

Silence optimized parts:

- MK-26 GPU Heatsink w/ 2x NF-P12

- 3x NF-A14

- SSDs only (2x 240GB Sandisk SSD Plus)

- 1050GS (the fan has never turned on in the two weeks I have owned it)

I also have a manual fan controller with knobs in the back, I don't trust software :) They are running insanely low as they have low noise adapters AND the knobs turn the voltage way down.

Also, X5680s are coming in the mail :D Hope you guys enjoyed the update!

(should also mention the sag, don't know why it looks so bad from this angle. The pcb is very straight and healthy :) https://i.gyazo.com/ced6937a5ba69f1b1a54bf15a2f83c38.png  )

-snip-

That is looking pretty damn sweet. Very clean. thumb.gif

Also, X5680s are coming in the mail :D

excellent.gif

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

That is looking pretty damn sweet. thumb.gif

Got a good deal too! They have been price spiking hard on ebay and the cheapest were like $230, but I sniped them off server monkey for $175 a pop!

Got a good deal too! They have been price spiking hard on ebay and the cheapest were like $230, but I sniped them off server monkey for $175 a pop!

Damn, I still paid about 900$ per piece for mine, and back then that actually was a good deal! :D

Now if only I could find an SR-2 as a spare for a reasonable price...

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Damn, I still paid about 900$ per piece for mine, and back then that actually was a good deal! :D

Now if only I could find an SR-2 as a spare for a reasonable price...

yea, wish I could find one as well :( I could really dig another 980Ti

Silence update!

Silence optimized parts:

- MK-26 GPU Heatsink w/ 2x NF-P12

- 3x NF-A14

- SSDs only (2x 240GB Sandisk SSD Plus)

- 1050GS (the fan has never turned on in the two weeks I have owned it)

I also have a manual fan controller with knobs in the back, I don't trust software :) They are running insanely low as they have low noise adapters AND the knobs turn the voltage way down.

Also, X5680s are coming in the mail :D Hope you guys enjoyed the update!

looks almost  identical to my old dual xeon setup (similar supermicro board before I swapped to EVGA SR-2) with those noctua coolers. My only concern here would be GPU sag with the aftermarket cooler.....

awesome rig so far!

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Nice build, I've been thinking of something like this too.

Wouldn't it be quite a bit cheaper to buy something like a used Dell Precision http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T5500-2X-Quad-Core-XEON-E5506-2-13Ghz-4GB-RAM-DVD-250Gb-No-OS-D2-/391351041890 or HP z800 for the motherboard/memory and then buy the Xeon x5670s or if you get lucky, buy a build with the higher quality Xeons from the get-go?

Nice build, I've been thinking of something like this too.

Wouldn't it be quite a bit cheaper to buy something like a used Dell Precision http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T5500-2X-Quad-Core-XEON-E5506-2-13Ghz-4GB-RAM-DVD-250Gb-No-OS-D2-/391351041890 or HP z800 for the motherboard/memory and then buy the Xeon x5670s or if you get lucky, buy a build with the higher quality Xeons from the get-go?

Idk, because you can get a high quality board for $120ish and they're better than what's in those workstations, and then you get a lot more customization and options (not to mention higher quality parts etc)

I like the air 540.

Hello ma, hello pa, I'm on the interwebs. -LazySpeck

My X5660s are for sale on the classifieds if any of you are interested :) http://linustechtips.com/main/classifieds/item/2691-2x-6-core-xeon-x5660s/

I want those sooo bad but won't get them. Apparently my case (GD09B) can hold SSI-CEB boards... hmmmmmm.....

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

• 1 month later...

X5680s got here a while ago, these are some hot puppies! Also, the MK-26 was giving me trouble so I bought a 360mm AiO for the 980Ti ;) Zip tied of course, because why not :P 

dbe1e8576f0fa5ac627ba848ea821ab2.png

The pump is so quiet, it's insanity... and this is coming from a person who thinks most Noctua's are loud even with a noise adapter + manual voltage lowering. 30 C idle so far :) Will add more pics soon, I just need to put a fan near the VRM's and then I will also do some temp benchmarking!

58 C max on CS:GO with a 1402 OC! These are with 500ish RPM Noctuas, couldn't be happier!

79130c5f63840bfcb5acb07994d15c38.pngb114217ff3e98987a71bd0b35def3403.png

a8cc1208fde2ab6d934a83ce0725a35b.png

This will be the last update for a while :) The temperatures are great all around, it's quiet, and it looks sleek. The backplate gets here Wednesday, and all should be good! I modded the midplate so I could keep it on with the AiO, and then I put little heatsinks on top of the heat plate. The thing that looks like scotch tape is actually super high temp electrical tape, so that there is no way the cut off tips could short something on the board. Thanks for viewing it thus far!