Dual Xeon Build! (LGA 1366 + R9 295x2)

Octavialicious

Me and someone else tried to find one, to no avail :( He also tried to mod the BIOS, and unlocked a bunch of stuff. But sadly he didn't know enough to add BLCK overclocking :'(

Well, you still have a pretty beast rig. ;)

EDIT: Btw. if you ever have stability issues, I recommend putting a fan on the 5520

chipset. The supermicro boards are engineered to be run in server environments with

lots of airflow, I had a bit of trouble with my server under heavy load and needed

to add a fan on the 5520 chipset's heatsink, like so:

aw--apollo--2014-04-03--06--chipset-fan.

aw--apollo--2014-04-03--10--chipset-cool

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

SLI? Why is everyone talking about SLI? I have not mentioned SLI at any point during this build

Your first page says

Parts ordered:

... ...

- XFX R9 295x2

Since CF is the same tech as SLI with a marketing name? 

Sweet build though! Looks great in the air 540.

why didn't the SSD work?

not sure, after a long of weird trouble shooting I managed to get it to work, but I ended up selling it anyways. The boot times of this board are crazy long, so I didnt want the SSD as it couldn't fix the slow boot times :P

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

The boot times of this board are crazy long

Yeah, that's 2CPU boards for ya. When I first powered up my SR-2 I thought it was broken because

it took so long to POST. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Yeah, that's 2CPU boards for ya. When I first powered up my SR-2 I thought it was broken because

it took so long to POST. :D

Luckily for me I'm a patient person, but speaking I ran 99% of my applications on my old SSD I'm still getting used to HDD noise :P

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I was replying to those who were talking about SLI but I can't quote on this forum on my phone as it doesn't work dude.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

This thing was wrecking on Cinebench! I wasn't here to sign for the GTX 980, so it will arrive monday. I ordered another H55 because I want to get a really good OC :)

Well,My Wallet Is Done,Im Gonna Get A Dual X5650 Build Now

I would water cool the Northbridge with another AIO ;)

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

I would water cool the Northbridge with another AIO ;)

Yeah that would be badass. But at this point I would just go full on custom loop. And maybe a custom solution for the block on the chipset.

• 4 weeks later...

Update!

Went to a 390X after my GTX 980 was underperforming in CS:GO, but the 390X was WAY too loud. I returned that and now I have a lovely EVGA 980Ti :D Very cool and performs like a god, couldn't be any happier!

I also returned the HDD as it was also super loud, and bought 1x 240GB and 1x 120GB SSD from PNY. My current dilemma is trying to get them to go into RAID 0. 

The problems are:

- The mobo won't let me RAID 0

- You have to format drives to use RAID, and since one of the SSD's has Windows on it It won't let me do it from Windows OS.

Anyone know how to RAID it so I can install Windows onto the RAID array?

GTX 980...underperforming....CSGO?

It kept dipping to 90 FPS and messing up my AWP shots, pretty lame. Even my 290X wouldnt dip under 130  <_<

RAID.

You will get a RAID bios when you boot, enter it with the key combo (usually CTRL F2 something like that). Then you want to build a RAID 0 array. It's quite straightforward, simply pick the drives you want to be in the array. Save and exit.

Now, you may need a driver disc or USB so make sure you identify the controller and find the correct driver for it. Depending on the Windows version you are running it should work from a USB stick. Boot the PC, when it asks you to install a 3rd party RAID driver simply browse to your stick.

Now the array should show in the installation screen. You can mess around formatting it yourself but don't bother, just click next and Windows will do it automatically.

Then enter your bios and make sure the first boot device is your RAID controller.

Done :)

RAID.

You will get a RAID bios when you boot, enter it with the key combo (usually CTRL F2 something like that). Then you want to build a RAID 0 array. It's quite straightforward, simply pick the drives you want to be in the array. Save and exit.

Now, you may need a driver disc or USB so make sure you identify the controller and find the correct driver for it. Depending on the Windows version you are running it should work from a USB stick. Boot the PC, when it asks you to install a 3rd party RAID driver simply browse to your stick.

Now the array should show in the installation screen. You can mess around formatting it yourself but don't bother, just click next and Windows will do it automatically.

Then enter your bios and make sure the first boot device is your RAID controller.

Done :)

Did I do it right? I don't see where RAID 0 is :(http://m.imgur.com/a/2C1Di

I can also choose Adaptec raid, not sure which is better

You need to do some research, but Adaptec used to be the Rolls Royce of RAID cards.

If it doesn't say RAID 0 then it will just say "Set up a RAID array" or something similar, then you get to pick. Tell me what the options are dude 'cause that pic is of a GPU.

Ed. Also what drives are you using and how many are there?

You need to do some research, but Adaptec used to be the Rolls Royce of RAID cards.

If it doesn't say RAID 0 then it will just say "Set up a RAID array" or something similar, then you get to pick. Tell me what the options are dude 'cause that pic is of a GPU.

Ed. Also what drives are you using and how many are there?

http://imgur.com/4NBttKG 2x PNY ssds, 1x 120GB and 1x 240GB

Hmm. You are going to have to run the 240 as a 120 dude. That's just how it works IIRC.

The screen does not really tell me much, but it should offer different options (such as mirror, stripe etc) ideally for speed you want to stripe it.

Edit. That is not the RAID bios dude, that's your board's bios. The RAID bios should flash up at POST. I will try and get you a pic in a minute....

I got Raid to work but I wasn't aware it was limited to the size of the smallest drive, so I pretty much deleted my W10 install for not nothing ;(

I don't care enough to return the 120GB though, so I'll stick with 360GB of non Raid storage

The last time I ran RAID I bought four Corsair Nova 64gb SSDs for £10 each. They hit a TB on R/W !

Sadly I broke one when removing them so I sold them off.. But SSDs in RAID are amazing.

My Dad came in with the big save! I know it is very uncommon, but one of the SSD's has a slight whine. My dad being the swag machine he is says I can return both, and then on Monday I'm going to microcenter and getting 2x 240GB Sandisk SSDs so I can do a proper RAID configuration :D

My mobo has SATA 1 so my speed is going to be limited hardcore, but I got the SSD's because I can't stand HDD noise anyways :P

how does this machine ( 24 threads at 2.8GHz) compares to a like of 5820K (6/12) in single threaded stuff like games?

Because I believe it just eats away everything that is multicore

How usable the motherboard nowadays?is SATA 1 REALLY slow?

how does this machine ( 24 threads at 2.8GHz) compares to a like of 5820K (6/12) in single threaded stuff like games?

A Xeon X5650 at around 4.2ghz will perform around the same in heavily threaded apps as a 4790k running around 4.5ghz. So they're quick...

As for a 5820k? at around 4.2ghz they are about 30% slower when the threading is going. Single thread wise they are nothing but a I7 920 which is still no slouch by any means but destroyed in IPC by anything Sandybridge or later. IIRC sandy was about 20% faster on IPC and then you can add two lots of 5% for Ivy E and Haswell E.

SATA 1 is fine if you are running an SSD. It will run up to 300mbPS IIRC? or was that SATA II? any way it's all easily gotten around by using a PCIE RAID card and running two or more drives in RAID. Add in cards are not terribly expensive. IIRC the Highpoint Rocket was around £45.

A Xeon X5650 at around 4.2ghz will perform around the same in heavily threaded apps as a 4790k running around 4.5ghz. So they're quick...

As for a 5820k? at around 4.2ghz they are about 30% slower when the threading is going. Single thread wise they are nothing but a I7 920 which is still no slouch by any means but destroyed in IPC by anything Sandybridge or later. IIRC sandy was about 20% faster on IPC and then you can add two lots of 5% for Ivy E and Haswell E.

SATA 1 is fine if you are running an SSD. It will run up to 300mbPS IIRC? or was that SATA II? any way it's all easily gotten around by using a PCIE RAID card and running two or more drives in RAID. Add in cards are not terribly expensive. IIRC the Highpoint Rocket was around £45.

plus there will be skylake in 3 days so that should be quicker as well.. The reason why it makes me think is that an i5K and a proper Z97 mobo today cost like £250 ish, whereas this solution is around £300 (maybe £150 if I use 2 dual core CPU, I am with a ~FX8320 and I have not met a CPU bottleneck although at Altium uses 1 core at 90% percent so single threaded performance is somewhat important)yet gives around an i7 performace and waaay cooler and exotic... makes me question do I want to build an ITX system

In multi threaded apps it absolutely demolishes the 5820K and can compete with the 5960X, but single core performance is a tad lacking. But like said above it's still decent, and 4K gaming has been perfect this far :D

I ran 4k gaming from a 2ghz 8 core Ivy and it was no slower than my 3970x @ 4.9ghz at the same res. Once you get to 4k the CPU hardly matters at all. I'm loving 4k tbh.