Dual Xeon Build! (LGA 1366 + R9 295x2)

Octavialicious

Bad news, turns out Westmere has some oddities about the PCIe Bus or something,  so even though the card outputted a signal, it technically isn't compatible. I tried everything, but I have to sell it and buy a 980/780Ti or something along the lines of that :(

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Bad news, turns out Westmere has some oddities about the PCIe Bus or something,  so even though the card outputted a signal, it technically isn't compatible. I tried everything, but I have to sell it and buy a 980/780Ti or something along the lines of that :(

That's a shame.

Sometimes I don't like like it to be proofen right.

But a 980 is also a good card.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Damn, have fun with the build :)

My Setups:

• CASE: » CoolerMaster C700M » •  MB:     » ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME »»» LGA 2066 •  CPU:    » Intel i9-9980XE Extreme Edition - 18-Core @ 3.00Ghz •  GPU:   » Inno3D GeForce RTX 3090 - 24GB  GDDR6X •  RAM» Corsair Dominator Platinum - 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz

• CASE: » DeepCool Matrexx 4F » •  MB:     » MSi GodLike Gaming X99 »»» LGA 2011-v3 •  CPU:    » Intel i7-6950x Extreme Edition - 10-Core @ 3.00Ghz •  GPU:   » MSi GeForce GTX 1070 Ti GAMING  - 8GB  GDDR5 •  RAM» Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro - 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz

• CASE: » CoolerMaster CMP 320L » •  MB:     » Atermiter X99 »»» LGA 2011-v3 •  CPU:    » Intel i7-6900K - 8-Core @ 3.20Ghz •  GPU:   » Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic Edition - 2GB  GDDR5 •  RAM» G.Skill TridentZ - 16GB DDR4 3600Mhz

Bought a used EVGA GTX 980 SC, it will get here soon :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Bought a used EVGA GTX 980 SC, it will get here soon :)

The used market is so great for hardware right now, it's an amazing market for buyers.

Sellers are so fucked though :( Don't worry 290x lightning, you're valuable to me...

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Woo! This build log might start back up sooner than I expected :) The guy I bought my 980 from is an hour away from me, and he used 1 day shipping!

df0bbefb426ab5dca44feed479dfd426.png

I also sold my SSD, and I will be buying a 2 TB drive from microcenter tomorrow. Looking at a Toshiba drive probably :P

Don't worry, it's going to work. If you had 2 R9 290Xs then I might be be a bit concerned, but with the 295x2 the crossfire connection takes place entirely on the graphics card itself, so whether or not your motherboard supports crossfire is irrelevant. The issue Linus had doesn't even apply here because on a hardware level your motherboard will only see that there is one physical card. Its the drivers that tell your computer that there is actually 2 separate GPUs.

They are basically all the same. Just more junk on the 295's is all .

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

910d82b1e5d12262e095003fc22d853c.png

USPS one day shipping is dedicated man, 1 AM and they are still driving!

With this being said, build log update tomorrow! The 980 gets here tomorrow and I'll be driving by microcenter and picking up a new HDD :)

910d82b1e5d12262e095003fc22d853c.png

USPS one day shipping is dedicated man, 1 AM and they are still driving!

With this being said, build log update tomorrow! The 980 gets here tomorrow and I'll be driving by microcenter and picking up a new HDD :)

Damn thats commitment.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

Damn thats commitment.

lulz. Couriers and the mail companies are 24 hour. It's not like some dude has worked 15 hours, it's just the night shift.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

I love dual CPU builds. Can't wait to get my grubby hands on my Dual PIII board. :D When I fix up my X1650 Pro then it'll go to that and I'll have an old gaming PC (assuming there is Windows XP support, otherwise I'll find the fastest card 98SE supports). :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Great build!
Have been thinking about one of these dual 1366 cpu borads as a dedicated CAD rig, already got a couple of x58 boards with westmere xeons and it's a brilliant bang for buck.

Will be interested to see your results.

This thing was wrecking on Cinebench! I wasn't here to sign for the GTX 980, so it will arrive monday. I ordered another H55 because I want to get a really good OC :)

Dammit people, how many times to I need to tell you to tag me when somebody is

doing a 2CPU build, especially LGA1366? :P

I am going to overclock the X5660s to 4.0+ GHz

Quick question: How are you going to manage that? Last I checked Xeons have

locked multipliers (well, upwards at least), so you'd need to raise the BCLK,

and as far as I'm aware the only LGA1366 board to ever support that is the EVGA

SR-2. If you've found a way to get around that of course, awesome!

Looks nice. But are you sure this board supports cross fire? Even if both cores are on the same card, it still technicly cross fire.

Since the borad only has one PCI-E 16x solt, I don't think they have made drivers for this scenario.

*cough* ... get a Fury X ... *cough*

Yeah, I'm not even sure if regular Super Micro boards support SLI, since they

tend to specifically mention it on those few boards which do support it (such as

the X10DAX or the X9DAE). Haven't tried it out personally (can't really, since

my X8DT3-LN4F only has one physical x16 slot), so I can't say for sure, but it

would seem odd for them to specifically advertise SLI on certain boards and have

it on others as well without mentioning it.

Not sure about Crossfire though, haven't found anything about that on their

site so far (or overlooked it).

Ah yes 1366, amazing socket :D Definitely following this.

1366 is love, 1366 is life. :wub:

And yeah, the fast hexacore Xeons can be had on ebay for pretty good prices

these days, bigger trick is usually finding a motherboard to go with it. We've

had a few people come around the SR-2 owners club on OCN lately asking if any

of us were willing to sell our motherboards for "reasonable" prices, but so far

no dice (I'm certainly not selling mine :D ). They're about as hard to find as

unicorns these days, and when you do find one, equally as expensive (I looked

for one on ebay last year as a spare, found one in a span of about three months,

and it was 800 USD, used). And depending on the model, Super Micro boards can

still be pretty expensive as well (though there are some good server pull deals

to be had from time to time, I bought my server board like that as well).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

1366 is the best for dual-socket builds, so much computing power for so little money, and huge memory support. Show me more!

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

• 2 weeks later...

It is now done! (Officially now)   LIES! GO CHECK PAGE 5 FOR NEW UPDATE :)

2e307a4073f951d6a98b42236758cda7.png

I can only say one thing: The EVGA GTX 980 SC is so fucking cool. Under full load, it is near silent and I can barely hear it. It's phenomenal! Not to mention my whole build is SO quiet. The AiO's on the Xeon's have very quiet pumps, and I slapped SP120s onto the rads. I turned them down to the lowest RPM and they are so quiet! My Xeons NEVER hit 40C and I am very satisfied with this whole build. I went with a WD Red 2TB as it was on sale, and it performs well enough for my needs.

Here is a better picture of the build itself:

cb097499b74ed6085a81b1a4daa8c29a.png

If you look closely, you can see electrical tape on the pumps :P This is because Fry's ran out of H55s, so I bought a thermaltake water for my CPU. When I say they are the exact same, I am not exaggerating. The only difference is the logo, which I covered with electrical tape (it blends in sooo well, it's only visible due to the flash :D)

All in all, I definitely do not regret switching over from the 4790K. Sure the single core performance is lacking, but it is more than enough for gaming and the multi core performance makes up for it! I am also very pleased with the Air 540, as it took this HUGE board with no problems.

I will do any benchmark if you're interested, as long as it's free!  :lol: Just quote this post and leave what benchmark you want and I will get to it. Also, feel free to ask any questions :)

Thanks for reading my build log!

If any of you are interesting my setup, I can take some pics of that as well :)

Dammit people, how many times to I need to tell you to tag me when somebody is

doing a 2CPU build, especially LGA1366? :P

Quick question: How are you going to manage that? Last I checked Xeons have

locked multipliers (well, upwards at least), so you'd need to raise the BCLK,

and as far as I'm aware the only LGA1366 board to ever support that is the EVGA

SR-2. If you've found a way to get around that of course, awesome!

Yeah, I'm not even sure if regular Super Micro boards support SLI, since they

tend to specifically mention it on those few boards which do support it (such as

the X10DAX or the X9DAE). Haven't tried it out personally (can't really, since

my X8DT3-LN4F only has one physical x16 slot), so I can't say for sure, but it

would seem odd for them to specifically advertise SLI on certain boards and have

it on others as well without mentioning it.

Not sure about Crossfire though, haven't found anything about that on their

site so far (or overlooked it).

There's been modified BIOs' floating around for a few of the supermicro boards that allows BCLK overclocking

And AFAIK, nobodies gotten SLI/CF to work on the 1366 supermicro boards. I've known a few people who couldn't get it to work, and nobody that could

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

There's been modified BIOs' floating around for a few of the supermicro boards that allows BCLK overclocking

PLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS help me find one, I would freaking die of happiness if I could find one!!!!!!

@Octavialicous Do Cinebench R15! I would like to see how it performs.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

I will in a bit :) Harrynowl might make me a custom bios which will let me BLCK overclock, and speaking I have great temps I'm curious to see if I can get a decent OC

I got 1373, which flat out wrecks the 4770K which gets 822 :)

You won't get SLI to work because it is not supported.

I had a Dell dual socket 1366 board and I only got SLI working by using HyperSLI which IIRC is no longer updated and thus, doesn't work.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

You won't get SLI to work because it is not supported. I had a Dell dual socket 1366 board and I only got SLI working by using HyperSLI which IIRC is no longer updated and thus, doesn't work.

SLI? Why is everyone talking about SLI? I have not mentioned SLI at any point during this build

Very interesting. I am intrigued. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Very interesting. I am intrigued. :)

Me and someone else tried to find one, to no avail :( He also tried to mod the BIOS, and unlocked a bunch of stuff. But sadly he didn't know enough to add BLCK overclocking :'(