Techniques for engraving small letters into wood?

BananaNinja

I want to engrave a wooden thing for a project, the letters need to be tiny like small novel font size

Any idea how to DIY this without buying some engraving irons 

is there materials that burn wood that I could make a stencil for? or maybe use some tool?

Helpful optimist by day, Troll by night

Every second video I unsub from Linus cos he tells me to hit the subscribe button on each video!!!

You could use a dremel with an engraving bit. Not sure about free handing it though

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

I want to engrave a wooden thing for a project, the letters need to be tiny like small novel font size

is there materials that burn wood that I could make a stencil for? or maybe use some tool?

A Dremil should do

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

My mother used to free hand it with this "drill" type gun that would spin and dig into a board and she would work on single letters for days.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

You could use a dremel with an engraving bit. Not sure about free handing it though

hmm this might work, I just need to get the bit

Helpful optimist by day, Troll by night

Every second video I unsub from Linus cos he tells me to hit the subscribe button on each video!!!

There are sets of punches you can buy and just use to engrave letters into wood without carving. However if you want to carve it if your skilled you can use an exacto knife. A dremel may work but you might experience slight tearout or burning of the wood using engraving bits.

You can burn it into the wood. Using a solder iron you can make accurate and slim lines. But I'm not sure 450°C in enougth.

You can read it well, but you won't have a "3D" structure.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

-snip-

Soldering Iron? Metal Coat hanger + car battery? 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510