Amd's fiji series.

monaka25

Yes bet the HBM runs much much faster than the vram, so even if size wise its not the same the speed at which it works is more than enough to make 4gb hbm out preform 6gb GDDR5.

Yes that may be true when we see benchmarks. But as games get more graphic intensive, VRAM usage may be a real problem for people playing at 4k with game developers looking to exploit the power of new graphic cards.

GTV 5 on 1440p at very high settings is already using 3.3 - 3.4 GB of VRAM. So imagine just 2 years down the road at 4K resolution.

I'm I the only one totally freaking stoked to see the aftermarket cooling solutions company's come out with for it? I for one am begging Asus to make some strix branded AMD GPUs

Yes that may be true when we see benchmarks. But as games get more graphic intensive, VRAM usage may be a real problem for people playing at 4k with game developers looking to exploit the power of new graphic cards.

GTV 5 on 1440p at very high settings is already using 3.3 - 3.4 GB of VRAM. So imagine just 2 years down the road at 4K resolution.

True, we really just have to wait and see the benchmarks.

Linus if you some how read this we are begging you to do videos on the hole line ASAP

I'm sitting on making an upgrade right now. Waiting for the benchmarks to come in, waiting a bit to see if any black and yellow coolers get released.

CPU: Intel 5930k cooled by H110i GT Mobo: MSI X99S XPower AC RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum 2800mhz GPU: 2x MSi Lightning 290x SSD: 512GB 850 Pro HDD: 4&2TB WD Black PSU: Corsair AX1500i Case: Corsair 900D Monitor: 3xVG248QE  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark  Mouse: Logitech G700s  Headset: Astro A50

I like chocolate milk.

At the release show they mentioned that Fiji will OC nicely and that due to the much higher bandwidth of HBM the 4GB will be sufficient as there won't be a need to buffer as much as compared to GDDR5.

Also in regards to the future, DX12 should lower the VRAM needs too, let's wait and see.

Still waiting to see proof in form of benchmarks but if a proper 1440p ultrawide screen with freesync hits the market I'm pretty much sold.

What do you think the chances are that there will an aftermarket part, a mod or that and makes a way so that you can change the fury x from a AIO to part of your full system loop using the stock water block? I kinda like the asethic but not a huge fan of the AIO bit. Especially if you wanted to add a second one down the line.

I can't wait to see what the three Fury cards bench like. The Fury non-X at $550 sounds really interesting as a possible 980 killer if the early benchmarks on the Fury X are to be believed. And getting a watercooled card with 980 Ti performance at $650 with the Fury X sounds awesome too. It's too bad the 300 series looks like a bunch of crap, but Fiji sounds great.

We still haven't seen benchmarks for the 300 series yet. And that's what I'm interested in. A 290x can already compete with a 970 so I want to see if they made any actually improvements.

On a side note did they say the fury(aircooled) is going to be 550 but the 390x is going to be 599?? Wtf is that about?

We still haven't seen benchmarks for the 300 series yet. And that's what I'm interested in. A 290x can already compete with a 970 so I want to see if they made any actually improvements.

The guy that did the 390x unboxing said it was pretty much the same and he was going to stick with the 970

The guy that did the 390x unboxing said it was pretty much the same and he was going to stick with the 970

While it wouldn't surprise me, I'm not gonna trust his videos. I want a reputable source. What I've heard of the video (I havent seen it so I could be wrong) is that the card he shows looks and has the same cooler as the 290x but AMD showed that they have new coolers on all of the line. So what's to say he wasn't just trolling, or that someone sold him a 290x and told him it was a 390x. Also correct me if im wrong AMD never released a stock cooled 290x 8gb did they? So at the very least we should see a difference from the amount of vram alone right?

Once again please feel free to correct me, this is mostly just my theories based on what I've been told and seen.

You shouldn't use GTA 5 as an example, it has bad vram management. I can also run 1440p on my 280x with 3GB vram. Vram usage is around 2.9GB at very high settings for me. GTA 5 is one of those games that will just use as much vram as it can.  Try another game.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

AMD had made a bold claim that current gen GPUs and games are unintelligent and wasteful in terms of what they store in VRAM and they claim that this will be alleviated with a more intelligent driver for the Fury. Once again the proof will be in the independent reviews...

expressed confidence in AMD's ability to work around this capacity constraint. In fact, he said that current GPUs aren't terribly efficient with their memory capacity simply because GDDR5's architecture required ever-larger memory capacities in order to extract more bandwidth. As a result, AMD "never bothered to put a single engineer on using frame buffer memory better," because memory capacities kept growing. Essentially, that capacity was free, while engineers were not. Macri classified the utilization of memory capacity in current Radeon operation as "exceedingly poor" and said the "amount of data that gets touched sitting in there is embarrassing."

With HBM, he said, "we threw a couple of engineers at that problem," which will be addressed solely via the operating system and Radeon driver software. "We're not asking anybody to change their games."

http://techreport.co...ory-explained/2

We will have to look closely at the independant reviews to see if Fury hits a VRAM bottleneck and stutters in modern games at 4K. If it does bad news for AMD. If not they're good...

Despite being re-brands, the R9 390x appears to perform almost the same as the GTX 980 in synthetic benchmarks, though these sources are sketchy. If this is really just old technology, why is AMD's old crap competing with Nvidia's new GPUs? The 980 was their flagship not too long ago. (The benches where the 390x is way ahead are probably due to the 980 running out of VRAM)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/388111-radeon-fury-x-1080p-8k-3dmark-bench/

Well the revamped (or whatever you wanna call it) Hawaii GPUs run at slightly higher clocks with a pretty significant memory frequency bump... 20% faster on the memory and about 10% faster on the core clock out of the box. I'm guessing there are also some driver optimizations or minor tweaks considering Hawaii is now being branded "Grenada", there are probably some very minor changes to the chip that make it slightly more efficient.

Perhaps it uses the memory compression that the R9 285 uses to be able to do more with less bandwidth, so perhaps in combination with the 20% mem clock increase it also becomes ~30% more efficient in memory bandwidth as well. That would be a significant performance gain. For 1080P gains will probably be relatively minor.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

You shouldn't use GTA 5 as an example, it has bad vram management. I can also run 1440p on my 280x with 3GB vram. Vram usage is around 2.9GB at very high settings for me. GTA 5 is one of those games that will just use as much vram as it can.  Try another game.

Yeah because it's open world GTA 5 will just store extra stuff in VRAM if it's available. You can run maxed out at 1080P on 2GB card, but you'll run into some stuttering here and there that you won't encounter as often with a 3-4GB card.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

I applaud AMD. They did good today.... well their high end cards anyways.

But I'm gonna wait until HBM2 and Pascal comes out. :P besides, the 980 Ti is a beast of a card and no point in switching for minimal improvements.

This is the thought running through many minds when they say that they want AMD to release competitive parts or superior gpus.... so that they can get better deals with they still skip out on amd and buy nvidia.

I think that's the view of most of the tech press when it comes to their own personal rigs.  How many of them actually use AMD in their personal rigs?

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

4GB is lots for 4K.

Unless you are running SLI (and even if you are in some cases) I'm not sure how 4GB is "lots" for 4k when every benchmark and their mother's running 4k w MOST eye candy turned on are hitting 20-50 depending on game.... So no, I'm not gonna be maxing out a 4k panel with a single 4gb GPU any time soon or 6 for that matter...

At the release show they mentioned that Fiji will OC nicely and that due to the much higher bandwidth of HBM the 4GB will be sufficient as there won't be a need to buffer as much as compared to GDDR5.

Also in regards to the future, DX12 should lower the VRAM needs too, let's wait and see.

Still waiting to see proof in form of benchmarks but if a proper 1440p ultrawide screen with freesync hits the market I'm pretty much sold.

I'm pretty sure the monitor is already out.

That's why I'm waiting for benchmarks lol.

Pretty sure AMD have the rights to HBM2 not Nvidia, they are working on some other weird memory type.

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

The high end cards look great but AMD has disappointed me somewhat. The lower end cards seem like rebrands again ie 280/x. Which was to be expected but with the announcement of X fury a small form factor duel GPU, to me it feels that AMD has snuffed the majority of their fans handing them old tech and only giving the new cool toys to the "rich". I would of personally been way more interested in AMD if they came out with fewer cards and a resolve to increase RND and important things support (Drivers etc).

I'm not aware of a 3440x1440 freesync yet - but am happy to be told otherwise :)

I was blinded by the 34 inches; you are right. However, I am pretty sure Acer already made it, theres a monitor that they haven't provided information for which is supposed to be identical to their G-sync coming up but it has NO G-sync, so people presume it is the freesync counterpart.

I think we should feel lucky the GFX cards battle is going to happen (is happening) before these hit the market though so we at least have hardware to drive them at decent prices... Already gonna be minimum $800 for the panel more like up to 1200... drop 2 980 TI's or 2 Fury X's and we could be up to $2,500 already.

@Scullz: well if AMDs Fiji claims hold up in the benchmarks one Fury X should do fine with a 3440x1440 screen and one could always add another in the future if need be.

I'll hold out a little longer (already bought the rest of the system so only screen and GPU left to go, meanwhile I'll make do with the 290X I have).

Hats off to AMD if Fiji lives up to the hype. I just fear Nvidia will out-rnd them by Q1 2016, while AMD doesn't have the means to compete with that nrw iteration unless Fiji makes them some serious bank

Check this interview out with one of AMDs top excutives its really cool and they talk about some neat things coming soon.