How to: change the fan of your PSU

MG2R

This comes from my build log (water cooled bitfenix prodigy), but since it's a guide, I thought I'd post it here too. I made a tutorial video showing how to swap out a PSU fan for a noctua NF-F12 (awesome silence!!)

A little word of warning though: DON'T TRY THIS IF YOU DON'T HAVE A BASIC KNOWLEDGE OF ELECTRICITY, SOLDERING AND WORKING ON ELECTRONICS. PSUs are dangerous and potentially harmful. You have been warned.

Now we've upgraded to IPB, I can edit this post again. I made a second video in which I show you how you can bring out the RPM sensing cable to your motherboard, so you can monitor the fan inside your PSU.

Great video! would just buying a 3pin/4pin to 2pin adapter work also?

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

This is the most proffesional vid by someone who doesn't have 1000s of subscribers I have ever seen. Amazing!

EDIT: The only thing about that vid is if you have a PSU that changes the fan speed they might be severely messed up if you use a different fan. Not a problem with Noctua fans of course because they under volt well but if you use a fan that doesn't it might switch off when the PSU is not using a lot of power.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Cool man, I just replaced the fan in my cooler master POS 700w power supply because the fan was making all kinds of noise like the bearing was bad. I just used electric tape but the rest was the same. Now I can't even hear it so I am happy til I get a new Corsair! :)

FX-8350          ASUS Crosshair V         MSi R9 290X Gaming 4G

This is the most proffesional vid by someone who doesn't have 1000s of subscribers I have ever seen. Amazing!

EDIT: The only thing about that vid is if you have a PSU that changes the fan speed they might be severely messed up if you use a different fan. Not a problem with Noctua fans of course because they under volt well but if you use a fan that doesn't it might switch off when the PSU is not using a lot of power.

Thanks, nice to hear :)

Holy cow!!! Thanks!! I hope i dont need it in the future (prefer rma) haha but is just nice to se these kinds of modds.

Regards,

Toxic

Holy cow!!! Thanks!! I hope i dont need it in the future (prefer rma) haha but is just nice to se these kinds of modds.

Regards,

Toxic

RMA wasn't applicable here... The unit was functioning perfectly fine. I just wanted it to be more silent ;)

I would RMA if I coul too though :D

Response to edit: Yeah, I thought of putting that in the video after it was released... But something like that would show up when you test the unit anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

very nice mod! guess it is not necessary to get a hybrid/passive psu if you are able to do this confidently! Thanks a lot!

very nice mod! guess it is not necessary to get a hybrid/passive psu if you are able to do this confidently! Thanks a lot!
Yeah, I'm going to redo the video though, leaving the rpm sense wire at its original length, to monitor it with your motherboard... Handy dandy safety feature I need for my server to run unmonitored 24/7

This was a very well made video. Good job :)

• 1 month later...

Wow I really enjoyed your video, i may have to try this in the future as i am now jealous of your silent psu.

Because vBulletin doesn't allow me to edit the original post for some odd reason, I have to append this as a reply, but... I made another video about this. This time, I brought out the RPM sensing cable to the motherboard, so I can monitor the fan of my power supply with the motherboard!

http://www.youtube.com//watch?v=U3vFonfilvk

edit: why doesn't this display as a video??

• 2 weeks later...

Are you Flemish (From Belgium)?
Your english accent sounds verry mutch like mine (en ik ben ne vlaming!)

Proud to be from Belgium.

Great video,  I need to replace the fan in my HX 1000W PSU as a loose cable tie was strong enough to snap one of the fan blades.

I would like to replace the fan in my OCZ ZX but I don't dare.