Cooling a Silverstone Grandia GD08 case quietly?

Hey guys,

I got a Xeon E3-1245v3 in my homeserver which runs 24/7, the server is for virtualization where I run several vms like one as tv server, nas and download vm and a gameserver vm.

It currently got the standard Silverstone fans installed and an old Scythe Samurai ZZ as CPU cooler. My room temp is currently between 25 and 28°C, so the three Western Digital Red HDDs run at 38°C idle, the CPU is at 51°C idle which isn't that bad, considering the CPU never runs at max most of the time.

BUT my server is pretty noticeable when it comes to noise, so I want to put some sound insulation mats in there, but that would also raise temperatures so I also have to get some new fans and a new CPU cooler.

I'm not sure if I should get the Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 or the Noiseblocker NB-eLoop S-Series B12-2 fans, I know the eLoop fans are pretty much silent at 1000rpm, since I've got one on the CPU block of my main PC, but the Noctua are way cheaper and have a higher air throughput, but I have no idea how much noise they produce, could someone enlighten me?

About the CPU cooler, I'm not really sure which one I should take, it has to be a tower cooler, since it can make use of the airflow in directly blow out the air through the back or the sides, depends on how I mount it, but the max height for CPU coolers in this case is 138mm, so I can only use a tower cooler with a 92mm fan. An alternative would be an AIO cooler, but I also don't know which one and I also had to use 92mm fans on it, since there is not enough space for a 240mm rad AND the fans together, or I would have to mount the fans on the outside to pull the air out, but that wouldn't look really nice and the server stands in my livingroom and I can't hide it, so it has to look nice.

Hope someone can atleast tell me which fans are quiet but still have enough throughput to cool all the components.

Edit: Alright, since noone was going to help me I now ordered some Noctua NF-S12A FLX and I hopefully won't regret it. :)

• 8 months later...
On 6/15/2015 at 2:08 PM, shawly said:

Edit: Alright, since noone was going to help me I now ordered some Noctua NF-S12A FLX and I hopefully won't regret it. :)

How did this work out for you? I'm considering getting the same case to use in a portable rack-mount case with other audio recording gear. I would either be running a 5960x or an 8/10 core Xeon... 

Intel i7 8700k, ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7 10Gb, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  FTW3 GAMING iCX, 64GB Kingston Fury, EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W, Alienware AW3418DW

Macbook Pro mid 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM