Is it normal for my 4770k to have around 90c degree on full load?

Go to solution Solved by ProKoN,

Do NOT use prime 95 to stress test your Haswell CPU , just delete it right now

Use the intel extreme tuning utility to properlly stress test your cpu

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-boards-software-extreme-tuning-utility.html

Aida64 is validated for haswell but i still find it too artificial, its a trial version, and the IETU GUI is much better and easier for experienced users to help you out.

Is it normal for my stock clock core i7 4770k to have around 90c degree on all cores with noctua NH-d14 heatsink during prime95 stress test?

And is it normal for my stock clock core i7 4770k to have around 45~49c degree on idle, and motherboard temperature around 35c degree? (same heatsink)

Everything is new bought... I'm a little worry, since I'm not very experienced.

No. That is not normal for the 4770K.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Oh god.. then what might be the problem??? I followed every single steps when I'm installing my Heatsink.... I don't see how it will go wrong...

Oh god.. then what might be the problem??? I followed every single steps when I'm installing my Heatsink....

whats the ambient temps in your room

Oh god.. then what might be the problem??? I followed every single steps when I'm installing my Heatsink.... I don't see how it will go wrong...

It could be the thermal paste under the IHS. If you can't get the temps reasonable, return the CPU for a replacement.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

What method did you use to apply the thermal paste?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

There could be an air bubble so try to re seat the heat sink.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Mmm sounds like you have not the best thermal paste between the CPU die and IHS :( I had the same on my 3770k. What voltage are you running? Fire up CPU-Z and see what your vcore voltage goes up to. You can set this manually. 1.2v should be as high as you need to go at stock clocks but you could go lower than that. I spent over $1k on water cooling goodies and still had high temps. Delidding CPU fixed that for me but its a risky thing to do for some people...

What method did you use to apply the thermal paste?

I used my hand to equalize the paste :unsure: , cuz i don't have the tools to do it.

Mmm sounds like you have not the best thermal paste between the CPU die and IHS :( I had the same on my 3770k. What voltage are you running? Fire up CPU-Z and see what your vcore voltage goes up to. You can set this manually. 1.2v should be as high as you need to go at stock clocks but you could go lower than that. I spent over $1k on water cooling goodies and still had high temps. Delidding CPU fixed that for me but its a risky thing to do for some people...

I got 1.233v core voltage according to CPUZ  :unsure:

There could be an air bubble so try to re seat the heat sink.

Sorry, but what do you by re seating the heatsink? How do you do it?

I got 1.163v core voltage according to CPUZ :unsure:

That sucks bud...

Try removing the heatsink, cleaning it and reseating again. Use MINIMAL thermal paste. If still no good I'd say your only option is to try return it (though its not failing so that might be impossible) or to delid it... :( best of luck.

I used my hand to equalize the paste :unsure: , cuz i don't have the tools to do it.

Don't do that. just put a dot or a cross in the middle and then put the heatsink on. The paste will flatten and even itself out then. By flattening it yourself, even more so with your hand, it can cause air gaps and bubbles in the paste where it was spread thinner than other places. Clean it off and try again.

here is a good video on what happens

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Don't do that. just put a dot or a cross in the middle and then put the heatsink on. The paste will flatten and even itself out then. By flattening it yourself, even more so with your hand, it can cause air gaps and bubbles in the paste where it was spread thinner than other places. Clean it off and try again.

here is a good video on what happens

^ it's most probably just the connection between your heatsink and the cpu so do as everyone said, clean off the thermal paste and try again. too little thermal paste is better than too much, heck no thermal paste is better than too much, and like they said watch for air bubbles (although that's rarely the cause in my experience)

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

Yep, you probably have air bubbles between your heatsink and your cpu.

What you should do is clean off the thermal paste now and reapply using the pea method. It's the simplest: Just put a dollop the size of a pea at the center and just put the heatsink on top. The mounting will be enough to flatten it out to cover what you need on the chip. Keep in mind that you don't need to cover the whole chip. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yep, you probably have air bubbles between your heatsink and your cpu.

What you should do is clean off the thermal paste now and reapply using the pea method. It's the simplest: Just put a dollop the size of a pea at the center and just put the heatsink on top. The mounting will be enough to flatten it out to cover what you need on the chip. Keep in mind that you don't need to cover the whole chip. 

Yeah clean off your CPU, and re apply thermal compound and then put your heatsink back on. One air bubble can cause temperature go up fast  

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Referring to @Godlygamer23 you can't return the CPU if it is running too hot as it is not covered by Intel's warranty. The three options you are left with is to lap your CPU, de-lid your CPU or put up with the temperatures, whether that is by under volting your CPU or keeping it at 90C.

Sam,

Intel Response Squad member

http://bit.ly/RallySquad

After I redid my thermal, my idle temp for the cpu is down to 35~42c, and motherboard temp is 31c.

However, during Prime95 small FFTs it can still go up to 90c with voltage of 1.233v according to CPUZ.

My room temp is 26c. So it's still not normal? Maybe I have a bad case ventilation?

Will the CPU fry or burn if I test it with prime95 for 24 hrs with 90c at all time?

I also noticed that my 4770k clock speed always stays at 3.9ghz turbo, even during idle. Is this normal?

Dude, Prime95 isn't an official stress test. It isn't even validated for Haswell. Use aida64 or the one Intel has. I wouldn't worry about those temps considering they are

from using P95. Besides, no normal application is going to stress your cpu like one of those synthetic tests anyway.

Well, I'm just a little n00b to these stuffs, and I want to learn a little bit about it.

Anyway, isn't aida64 a pay software? Also, which one is the one intel has? (the Intel Burner? or the something Intel Tuning thing?)

Well, I'm just a little n00b to these stuffs, and I want to learn a little bit about it.

Anyway, isn't aida64 a pay software? Also, which one is the one intel has? (the Intel Burner? or the something Intel Tuning thing?)

I think it's called IntelburnIn test. Aida64 is free for 30 days. I am such a noob I don't even have a decent chip to OC period. But I have been doing my homework for Haswell since I will own one "soon".  I understand people using P95 but the problem is that people are confusing Haswell with Ivy bridge and they are not the same chip. So the forums act like an echo chamber where one guy says "use P95" and everyone else does it and tells everyone else to use it. But JJ from Asus says in all of his videos not to use it because it overvolts your cpu. Since he has been tinkering with Haswell chips longer than any of us, I think he knows what he is talking about.

Do NOT use prime 95 to stress test your Haswell CPU , just delete it right now

Use the intel extreme tuning utility to properlly stress test your cpu

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-boards-software-extreme-tuning-utility.html

Aida64 is validated for haswell but i still find it too artificial, its a trial version, and the IETU GUI is much better and easier for experienced users to help you out.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

download and run the IETU

report back with temps after fifteen minutes

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

download and run the IETU

report back with temps after fifteen minutes

Okay, I got my results back. With IXTU, and oh boy... I got 70c top, which it's a huge difference than using prime95. About the overvoltage problem, it seems to be true. When I use prime95, it overvolts my cpu to 1.233v, while with IXTU it stays at 1.163v constant.

So with 70c degree top at full load with stock clock, it should be consider as normal now, right? And also, is it normal for my 4770k to constantly stays at 3.9Ghz turbo speed during both idle, and full load?

Still, thanks to both of you and Raxx's warnings.

P.S. And if I want to use IXTU to test my CPU's stability, then how long should I run it for?

As others have said, just put the paste on and the cooler will flatten it - and once the TIM heats up after use, it'll spread further.