New build based around a simple idea: not wanting to get rid of my previous system... (Dual system build)

I've been planning this out to avoid getting too many headaches (because this is a tad complex) ever since the Phanteks Mini XL came out. I have just paid for the case and some bits and bobs, and I'll be doing a few slight modifications, hopefully it will be ready for Skylake. I might not get Skylake if "the right" motherboard doesn't appear... I'm very picky with motherboards. If it doesn't, I'll either go X99, or Skylake-E.

bb9bffeb0c5c96cc1ac803953bd77a01.jpg

Parts  I already have:

• Complete Z77 mini-ITX system w/ GTX 760, simply moving it from my old BitFenix Prodigy into the Mini XL, and replacing the CPU cooler with Kraken x41.
  • Cougar GX 1050W modular Gold PSU
  • RaidSonic 5-drive hotswap backplane for the 5.25" bays (the two fans in it will act as intake)
  • Case and ITX upgrade kit is ordered and en route

Parts to be acquired in time for Skylake:

• 2x NZXT Kraken x41 CPU coolers (exhaust, back/ top)
  • 2x AMD Fury watercooled edition (exhaust, bottom or opposite side panel)
  • Be Quiet! SFX Power Supply
  • Extension cables, graphite or silver braided, for both systems

Modifications:

• Heatsinks of Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe motherboard to be painted to match the mATX Z170 board. (most likely black and gold/ copper, as AsRock is the top candidate here, having seen their ATX Z170 offering)
  • Front and top case mesh, as well as metallic details on RaidSonic HDD backplane, to be painted matte graphite gray.
  • Install permanent power and reset switches above the 5.25" bays with white LEDs for the m-ITX system, rather than use the 5.25" "front panel" included in the Phanteks ITX upgrade kit
  • Phobya Warm White case lighting for around the side panel, orange or yellow led strips under each motherboard (if gold motherboards)
  • Etch effect decals for the big side panel window
  • Custom decals for SSDs displayed behind small side panel window

Comments/ warnings/ suggestions?

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

This looks really interesting. Please keep me up to date with your build when you start it :)

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Instant follow, this is mostly new territory, but what exactly do you plan to do with each of the PCs?

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Instant follow, this is mostly new territory, but what exactly do you plan to do with each of the PCs?

The mATX computer will be my workflow and gaming system, whilst the m-ITX system will become a Star Citizen private server for training with my organization, (hoping 16GB of RAM will be enough) as well as where I do my video rendering. The GPU will also be folding 12/7.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

You'd think that they would include a mini ITX upgrade kit with it since that's the stand out feature. 

Turns out they are selling it as an optional extra. 

Good luck with the build anyhow. This looks really interesting. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

It looks very interesting!

Are you planing to make two completly independent systems, or are you using both PSU for one system? (You asked that, rigth? And I hope you don't do it.)

And please use game streaming once from one "PC" to the other just for fun, haha. :P

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

It looks very interesting!

Are you planing to make two completly independent systems, or are you using both PSU for one system? (You asked that, rigth? And I hope you don't do it.)

And please use game streaming once from one "PC" to the other just for fun, haha. :P

The SFX PSU will power the mini-ITX motherboard, and the ATX PSU will power the m-ATX motherboard, no mixing. Which means extension cables worth $150...

And that last part sounds like the most inefficient thing I could possibly do  :lol:

And that last part sounds like the most inefficient thing I could possibly do  :lol:

Thats for sure. But it will justify to have to have two systems :ph34r:

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Case has arrived at the post office, so I'll be snapping some terrible unboxing pictures soon-ish with my potato cam.

According to the tracking, the package weighs 22.5 kg though, I might have to put it off until thursday for transportation's sake  :lol:

Oh and I've named the build Duolith  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Subbed, really curious to see this ^_^

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

• 2 months later...

Subbed :D

Btw you can get the 24-pin splitter from phanteks so you just use one psu for both systems