Apple's New Developer Program - Combines All Platform SDK's into a $100 Annual Fee, But With Some Side Effects?

EChondo

News Source About Dev Program: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/08/apple-merges-developer-programs/

Side Effect Source: https://np.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/397bn6/apple_wants_me_to_pay_100_to_continue_publishing/

Side Effect Source Email: https://np.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/397bn6/apple_wants_me_to_pay_100_to_continue_publishing/cs0zx0t

Apple Dev Program Page: https://developer.apple.com/programs/

Mac Rumors;

It now costs $99 to access all SDKs and betas of iOS 9, OS X, and the company's newest software platform, watchOS. Apple has created a support document to explain the changes and walk developers through the process of transitioning to the new membership program.

Reddit Post;

So it used to be free to be a part of the Safari developer program. That's being folded into Apple's dev program now, and I'm required to pay $100 to join if I want to continue publishing Reddit Enhancement Suite - which is free.

$100 would be several months worth of donations, on many/most months, and only to support less than 1% of RES users (as in, Safari makes up less than 1%).

Not only is the cost an annoyance, I also don't feel Apple deserves $100 from me just so I can have the privilege of continuing to publish free software that enhances its browsers. They're not providing a value add here (e.g. the iOS SDK, etc) that justifies charging us money.

To be clear: RES isn't published on their extension gallery, so the $100 being allocated to their "review process" isn't really valid either. In addition, spammers / malicious extension developers have a lot more than $100 to gain from publishing scammy apps. My Safari developer certificate is already linked / provided through my iTunes account ID (and therefore credit card etc), so it's not like the $100 gets them "more confirmation" that I am who I say I am.

I don't know what I'm going to do yet, but worst case scenario I will try my best to get one more release out before the deadline screws me (and therefore you, if you use Safari/RES) over.

Reddit user honestbleeps(Steve Stobel), creator of Reddit Enhancement Suite, posted the statement above on the Apple sub-Reddit notifying Apple users that RES could potentially be unavailable on the Safari browser due to a $100 annual fee that Apple is introducing with the "Apple Developer Program".

The email sent to Mr. Stobel states;

Dear Developer,

As a creator of Safari Extensions, you’ve helped enrich the browsing experience for Safari users by taking advantage of development resources through the Safari Developer Program. This program is now part of the new Apple Developer Program, which combines everything you need to develop, distribute, and manage your apps on all Apple platforms.

Your existing Safari Developer Program membership will remain active until July 8, 2015 and your Safari extensions will continue to work for existing users.

You can continue building Safari extensions and bring your creativity to other Apple platforms by joining the Apple Developer Program. Join today to provide updates to your current extensions, build new extensions, and submit your extensions to the new Safari Extensions Gallery for OS X El Capitan. You can also learn how to extend your coding skills to create innovative new apps for Apple customers around the world.

First of all, this is just a huge pile of crap. This will either go two ways, extension creators cave in and pay the $100 a year OR Safari is about to lose a lot of extensions.

Also, I'd like to clarify that Mr. Stobel's concern isn't about getting the money, it's about why should he have to pay $100 a year for submitting and updating a free extension. I know Chrome has a "one time" $5 fee, which is more than reasonable, but $100? Give me a break. Why should extensions creators be forced to pay $100 a year when all they do is submit extensions?

What is everybody else's thoughts on this matter? Anyone here on LTT that makes Safari extensions want to weigh in on this?

Sounds like something Apple would do.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I thought this was going on for a while?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Wow that title is misleading. $100 to submit apps & updates is way off. The $100 is for all of the dev tools, libraries, support, and early access to software to prepare apps for upcoming versions of software.

Just because Safari extensions were combined with the main developer program isn't a horrible crime or anything like that

Wow that title is misleading

Have a better one? Can't really articulate my thoughts right now...

*Edit

Just because Safari extensions were combined with the main developer program isn't a horrible crime or anything like that

But has caused a side effect to extension creators. Sure it isn't the end of the world, but if Mr. Stobel(and other creators) doesn't pay the $100 fee then he can't update his extension. I'm sure others devs aren't going to pay so now Safari users that use these extensions are more than likely going to switch web browsers.

Wow that title is misleading. $100 to submit apps & updates is way off. The $100 is for all of the dev tools, libraries, support, and early access to software to prepare apps for upcoming versions of software.

Yea...anyone making extensions isn't going to have trouble coughing up 100 dollars to cover fees. Like you said, this offers a hell of a lot. 

I was paying 99 a year just for the iOS side of things, now I get EVERYTHING in one payment under one roof. I ain't even mad. 

Yeah....100 bucks per year sounds actually pretty fucking reasonable to me. You probably pay more for development software used to create games and such.

i find it to be bullshit when all you do is make extensions for their browser, yeah 100$ is nothing to get full access to all of their platforms toolkits, its a steal given how much a sub to all the visual studio tools costs, expect that you only need access to the tools to make simple extensions for a browser, especially for a free open source extensions, the developer itself said he doesn't have a problem to pay that but he won't do it for the fact this is a kick to the face to extension developers, i'm sure as hell nobody is going to make the LTT extension for safari with a 100$ a year pay wall in between, unless said person also make iOS or OSX programs

Yea...anyone making extensions isn't going to have trouble coughing up 100 dollars to cover fees. Like you said, this offers a hell of a lot. 

I was paying 99 a year just for the iOS side of things, now I get EVERYTHING in one payment under one roof. I ain't even mad. 

see above

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

well this will turn off a lot of indie developers

i find it to be bullshit when all you do is make extensions for their browser, yeah 100$ is nothing to get full access to all of their platforms toolkits, its a steal given how much a sub to all the visual studio tools costs, expect that you only need access to the tools to make simple extensions for a browser, especially for a free open source extensions, the developer itself said he doesn't have a problem to pay that but he won't do it for the fact this is a kick to the face to extension developers, i'm sure as hell nobody is going to make the LTT extension for safari with a 100$ a year pay wall in between, unless said person also make iOS or OSX programs

see above

Thats what they want to encourage. They want their developers to do MORE. Not just focus on one platform under Apples umbrella. 

Thats what they want to encourage. They want their developers to do MORE. Not just focus on one platform under Apples umbrella. 

this is fine if you can still buy the tools separately at the same price

so its ok to force a web developer to pay a bullshit of a sub that's only going to use the most basic of the tool set, believe or not making extension is almost as making web pages and not client applications, you use javascript, not objective C, that's a massive fucking difference, OP said it will end one of 2 ways, and i'm inclining 99.99% that the latter will happen

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Now get don't me wrong here, I love that Apple is doing this package for $100, but why should an extension creator be forced to pay Apple anything when they don't use any programs/SDK's from Apple? If Apple is worried about spam/malware/viruses then do a $5 one time fee or something like Chrome.

see above

You're kinda defeating your own argument if you ask me: We really don't need an application just for LTT. It's nice if its easy enough to do for free, but that doesn't means you need it.

Other than that Apple has decided they don't want free stuff so if you can't sustain your app with adds then no, you shouldn't do it. Apple can later reconsider if they want to loose most free applications and such for the sake of this policy then they can make an exception but I am assuming only commercial products need apply here.

-------

Current Rig

-------

You're kinda defeating your own argument if you ask me: We really don't need an application just for LTT. It's nice if its easy enough to do for free, but that doesn't means you need it.

It'a an extension and like @AlexGoesHigh said it's like building a webpage so it uses javascript and such. Also you don't need most or your extensions but it sure makes your life easier.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Well there are certainly drawbacks to this. A lot people will be happy because they will get more stuff for the same price, but a lot of people like the guy in the OP will be pissed.

Can't he just get around this though? In Chrome and Firefox you can sideload addons so maybe he could just continue develop it, upload it to some website and then let users install it through that. Or maybe he could make it into a userscript (I assume Apple aren't stupid enough to block that).

It seems really weird that there is no free or low cost version though. Not everyone will need access to the full developer program and they would probably like some lite tier or something (maybe a 1 time fee).

On LTT, we freak out about a $100 annual fee but we're sure as hell going to buy up the overpriced gaming-marketed hardware.

On LTT, we freak out about a $100 annual fee but we're sure as hell going to buy up the overpriced gaming-marketed hardware.

well not everyone

<--- poor

i just dont get why is it a subscription you should just pay the 100 dollars once and why do people have to pay if they are not using apple dev tools

100 bucks is not much for what you get.

But if you need only 1% of it, why pay for everything?

It's like paying for a pc while you only need a dvd drive or cpu cooler. It's stupid.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Why not make a full package for $100, and then smaller ones for people that might need only specific things and charge them $20, $40, $60 or $80? With the option to upgrade etc.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Yeah....100 bucks per year sounds actually pretty fucking reasonable to me. You probably pay more for development software used to create games and such.

True, but if instead you want to make a browser extension it's hard not to feel a little ripped off... considering chrome and firefox let you do that for much less. It's not crazy, but there probably should be a dedicated option for extension-only developers.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well yeah! ...reason and arguments! Because most people here don't know how development works (and companies for that matter) and want stuff for free (you might have noticed how whenever Linus posts a picture with 20 headphones or 10 dGPUs people want a giveaway). But don't you dare touch the games because they are worth every cent! On that matter, $100 might be too much for individuals that are trying to start from scratch.

Also as far as your comment goes.

tumblr_m7wzb84jqI1r33dnzo1_500.gif

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Interesting. I knew that iOS and OS X were getting rolled into one, but wasn't aware that Safari was a part of this as well. Doesn't affect me personally as I don't use Safari nor do I develop extensions for it, but I can see this being discouraging for people who just want to make some free extensions. I think one important aspect of it is that the iOS and Mac dev program fees were always pretty justifiable as you could pretty easily get a return on investment in the store. For people who only make Safari extensions, I can't really see this making a whole lot of sense.

Yay generalizing is great and the argument in this thread as far as I can see is about them forcing people to pay 100$ annually if they just want to make extension.

Is 100$ annually much for a dev ? I don't think so but what about a person who makes extensions ? maybe or maybe not, and why should that person pay 100$ ?? when he will not use any of the dev kits and shit.

@Kloaked 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Yay generalizing is great.

Especially when it's true.