New Render Farm Featuring 72 CPU Threads Part 2

the quality makes me remember the videos linus made about the 680 and the 3rd generation of intel cpus back in 2013

• 2 weeks later...

Was it just me or did Linus just say in pt 3 that there were no redundant PSUs over 750w? On lenovos page, they have redundant, hot-swappable 80 plus titanium PSUs that go all the way up to 1600w. Definitely not needed for this server, but hey, the server is so ridiculously stupid and unnessecary already that it's worth dropping a couple of those badboys in.

Lenovo 1600w redundant PSU product link here.

They should have got a Xeon Phi for it

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

They should have got a Xeon Phi for it

They wouldn't be able to do anything with it. Takes way too much code massaging to utilize it properly. 

Zeus: Dual Xeon E5-2695v3 | 128GB DDR4 ECC | Asus Z10PE-D16 WS | 2-way SLI EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 | Corsair AX1200i | Fractal Design Define XL R2 | Das KB & Razor Chroma mouse

Yoda: HP DL380p Gen8 | Dual Xeon E5-2697v2 | 256GB DDR3 ECC | Dual Nvidia Tesla K40c | Dual 1200w PSU | 3X 146GB 15K SAS 2.5" HDD | CentOS 7 | Headless

• 1 month later...

Hi,

When you ran the CPU benchmark it looked like you where using balanced power plan instead of high performance, in one case I saw the frequency of the CPU drop below 1.5ghz even though you where in the 20% cpu usage range + the very slow power consumption at idle. If you ran the CPU tests with balanced power plan you are probably allowing some of the CPU cores to go into the power-saving C-state C3 or C2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface

If a core is in C3 or to a lesser extent in C2, when a thread scheduled to run on that core the core first has to transition to C0 before it actually executes any code. If the amount of work is very small it can often take as long for the core to wake up as it does to run its code. Also as you where not pushing the CPU usage past 50%, its likely all the cores are returning to C2 or C3 before more work is scheduled on that core. It takes much longer to transition from C3 and C2 to C0 then it does from C1 to C0. So this could be causing a bad score on the benchmark as most of the CPU time is actually it waking up not doing work.

High performance power plan prevents the CPU going into C3 and I think possibly C2 as well. You can use perfmon in windows to check in windows 2012 R2 there is a Perf Counter C3 time C2 time etc.

It would be interesting to see what you get on the benchmark with High performance power plan or even Disabling CPU power saving completely in the BIOS.

Thanks

D

I just watched this video an i noticed your computer seemed to not be prioritising your benchmarks.

This fix is only for windows 7

go to regedit.exe go to edit, go to find (or ctrl f) scan for 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583

you should then see value_max and value_min. thats how much CPU power an application is allowed to use until its treated as low prioritory. by default value_max is at 64. double click on it and set value max at 0, which is infinite. now it should run better, but not at 100%.

Please note that before you even touch your registry that you understand what you are doing.

Just trying to help.

post-248320-0-88083400-1438199517_thumb.

• 8 months later...

This is a very different sort of machine from your usual gaming type machines.  No doubt, based on experience you determined this would be what you need. I run trading software platforms on an i7 quad core @ 2.8Mhz and it can't cope at all.  Is there any software utility that would monitor my software and guide me to a a more effective hardware config?

10 minutes ago, vlc said:

This is a very different sort of machine from your usual gaming type machines.  No doubt, based on experience you determined this would be what you need. I run trading software platforms on an i7 quad core @ 2.8Mhz and it can't cope at all.  Is there any software util that would guide me to a a more effective hardware config for my current software?

Difficult to say without knowing the software 

33 minutes ago, vlc said:

This is a very different sort of machine from your usual gaming type machines.  No doubt, based on experience you determined this would be what you need. I run trading software platforms on an i7 quad core @ 2.8Mhz and it can't cope at all.  Is there any software util that would guide me to a a more effective hardware config for my current software?

22 minutes ago, .spider. said:

*cough* thread necroing (this thread nearing a year in age...)

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

9 hours ago, .spider. said:

'Difficult to say' if there is a utility that monitors a system to make suggestions for hardware improvements?

9 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

*cough* thread necroing (this thread nearing a year in age...)

Do I deserve a punishment now?

41 minutes ago, vlc said:

'Difficult to say' if there is a utility that monitors a system to make suggestions for hardware improvements?

The Task Manger?