Windows 10 Reservation not Showing up in Your Taskbar? [Solution Enclosed]

bcredeur97

Hey guys, I've been troubleshooting the last few days on getting the win10 icon to show up in my taskbar. I first had troubles with windows update, where updates were succeeding, but not installing. Once I solved that and actually had the GWX folder on my PC, I tried everything in the GUI to get it to work but no dice. 

I came across this page on the windows forum, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/i-want-to-reserve-my-free-copy-of-windows-10-but-i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b?page=92&tm=1433384603459#LastReply

It still didnt solve my issue, but towards the end, on page 90 there was a man who stated the following:

Just put together this batch file that does the 3 major fixes found in this thread...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u0au9xgy6ss18p/win10fix_full.zip?dl=0

As with any batch you download, anti-virus may flag it, just edit the file if you're unsure. It's a lot to read, but you should always have at least a minimal amount of understanding of what you're running before doing so anyway...

It has plenty of protections in place to protect your PC, but please read the first screen.

I took a look at his batch file, and it all looks legitimate to me. It does what it says on the tin. I ran it and option 2 fixed my problem. So I thought I would share this with you guys, I know some may not like running batch files on their PC, which I why I gave the source away. 

Enjoy you win10 reservation :D

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

SOLUTION IS A FALSE PROPHET!

serious it didnt do jack for me on 2 diffrent comps

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Method #1 worked for me... Wonder why...

One of my desktop got the icon of the first day.

Then yesterday my laptop got it...

My main PC, tablet and another laptop are still lagging behind for some reason even though I have all the required updates...

I also took a look at the batch file before executing it, Method #1 essentially just create a a new Key in the registry, which was all I need apparently... Will check the other desktop and laptop tomorrow to see if they have that registry entry as well or something else that might explain why those PCs got it and not the others.

For those wondering, this is the entry for Method #1 in the registry.. So if you somehow don't trust that "complicated" looking batch file.. just make a txt file, edit the extension to .reg and put this in it. This is Instant, you immediately see the icon in systray, if not, feel free to delete the registry entry...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators]"UpgEx"="Green"

followed by running this "%SystemRoot%\System32\GWX\GWX.exe /taskLaunch" (copy in address bar without the quotation marks)

Method #2 is to run the GWX.exe in system32/GWX with the tasklaunch launch option, if it fails, it does the refreshconfig on the GWXconfigManager. Takes about 10 minutes for you to see the icon in systray.
" %SystemRoot%\System32\GWX\GWX.exe /taskLaunch "
" %SystemRoot%\System32\GWX\GWXConfigManager.exe /RefreshConfig "

(Just copy/paste these in the address bar of any Explorer window)

Method #3 essentially does the previous 2 methods and more, isn't instant, can take up to an hour to work and you might want to reboot after that.

Edit : On my tablet, I did method #1 and it worked too. I've also checked on my laptop and it has the registry entry already, along with a lot more entries... And the "UpgEx" value is Orange, instead of "green". I have no idea what it means.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro