College?

Go to solution Solved by xeromynd,

Also something else to think about is transporting this thing. It was a total bitch to transport my 650D to and from school, and that was just a mid tower case.

Honestly, I think you'd be better off with an ITX build, or at least a mid-tower, rather than a huge thing. If someone wants to steal something, they will find a way. Just don't go bragging to your whole dorm that you have an awesome gaming PC. I never had any problems with my PC being stolen, or even touched. I lived with 6 people each year, every year there were at least 1-2 randoms who I knew nothing about. No problems.

If you're really paranoid, some motherboards actually come with a chassis intrusion header on them. Not sure how to set that stuff up, but it's something to look into.

Ok, for college I want to major in Computer Hardware Engineering, Graphics Engineering, Software Engineering (one or two of these not all lol) and I want to build a new computer on my Senior Year (2017) should I use a large case to inhibit any chances of someone stealing it, or a small case (micro atx) so it is easily portable? 

CPU i7 4790K @4.8GHz | Motherboard ASUS HERO VII Z97 | Cooler Corsair H110i GT | GPU Gigabyte G1Gaming GTX 970 SLI | PSU Corsair HX750i

RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866MHz | HDD Western Digital Red 1TB | SSD HyperX Savage | Case NZXT Noctis 450 OS Windows 8.1

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Mouse Corsair Sabre Laser RGB | Headset Corsair H2100 Wireless 7.1

Someone will steal it either way, size or not. It just might be harder, but if they want it they'll take it

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

honestly better off with a laptop in college

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

IMO Large cases make your PC look awesome. I hate small cases, they make it looked all cramped, complicated, and to top it all off, normally run hotter.

honestly better off with a laptop in college

I will have both (Desktop for more intensive use, laptop for anything else)

CPU i7 4790K @4.8GHz | Motherboard ASUS HERO VII Z97 | Cooler Corsair H110i GT | GPU Gigabyte G1Gaming GTX 970 SLI | PSU Corsair HX750i

RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866MHz | HDD Western Digital Red 1TB | SSD HyperX Savage | Case NZXT Noctis 450 OS Windows 8.1

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Mouse Corsair Sabre Laser RGB | Headset Corsair H2100 Wireless 7.1

I don't think the size of your case will really deter someone from stealing your PC. Go big if you're someone who cares about airflow and go small (Matx or Itx) if you're someone who travels around a lot. 

Use an old beige, crappy looking case, should deter anyone who wants to steal it since they'll think it's crap

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

IMO Large cases make your PC look awesome. I hate small cases, they make it looked all cramped, complicated, and to top it all off, normally run hotter.

[but LAN parties in college thooooo] But tbh you're right

the size wont deter anyone a case with a kensington lock and security screws will

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Use an old beige, crappy looking case and give it beast insides

Lol old crappy dell workstation case (triple titan x watercooled) >:D

Times have changed, an Matx build doesn't really increase temps to such an extent it's degrees are marginally increased from a Full Tower case.

i would just by one of those cube case labs cases. you can live in one side and your pc can live in the other. that way you save on accommodation and has the biggest pc.  

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Times have changed, an Matx build doesn't really increase temps to such an extent it's degrees are marginally increased from a Full Tower case.

True! Look at Linus' Titan X build

Lol old crappy dell workstation case (triple titan x watercooled) > :D

Yeah, do that, no LEDs, nothing fancy except the specs

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Get something massive. Screw the side panels on by screwdriver and weigh the thing down.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Boi I want an Ultra Tower. mATX is too small for me lol.

Get something massive. Screw the side panels on by screwdriver and weigh the thing down.

I could drill it into the ground or mount it onto the wall in a custom build (hella expensive though)

I could drill it into the ground or mount it onto the wall in a custom build (hella expensive though)

Just dont let people in your room. im sure there will be other valuables also in your room. that or lock it to your bed or something

SMALL. CASE.

After lugging my desktop between dorms and home for 2 years at college TRUST ME. Do the smallest possible build you can. Just get a lock and put it around something sturdy. A lot of cases have good places to loop one through.

Git Gud.

Ok, for college I want to major in Computer Hardware Engineering, Graphics Engineering, Software Engineering (one or two of these not all lol) and I want to build a new computer on my Senior Year (2017) should I use a large case to inhibit any chances of someone stealing it, or a small case (micro atx) so it is easily portable? 

are there cases with a kensington lock or something? 

Lol old crappy dell workstation case (triple titan x watercooled) > :D

have you seen the triple 980 build for the nvidia mod24 event? that was made in an old dell?

i have a desktop and a gaming laptop. i am going to collage for application development and for me atm even a tablet with a keyboard dock. (windows 8.1) would have worked as you don't do much graphical coding. and when i use Unity3d my laptop can handle everything i throw at it. if you have a good gaming laptop you should be fine with that alone.

Needs Update

Just dont let people in your room. im sure there will be other valuables also in your room. that or lock it to your bed or something

Roommates....