Is there a proper way to clean out a PSU?

numnums
Go to solution Solved by Mistersprinkles,

Oh my GOD you MORONS. You're telling him to open a high current device with massive capacitors that can deliver a SERIOUS shock!

You DO NOT open power supplies or CRT monitors. You just don't do it.

You god damn ignorant chumps could electrocute this poor guy. Idiots. 

DO NOT open your PSU. get compressed air and blow it out WITH THE CASING INTACT.

God damnit you idiots piss me off sometimes.

Hi guys,

Was wondering if there's a way to clean out a PSU as I've realized my HX 750 has accumulated quite the amount of dust that I would like it to not have. Do I unscrew the casing and air it out? Or should I just get some compressed air and just blow it out? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Current System Setup | Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D | CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @4.0GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) | Graphics Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X | SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250GB | HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair HX750W 80+ Gold | Display: Dell UltraSharp 24" U2414H | Headset: Tritton Kunai | Mouse: EtekCity Scroll X1 | Keyboard: Microsoft SideWinder X4 RED LED

I would unscrew the casing and use compressed air to blow it out personally. Just don't bridge any connections, the unit may still be holding power and can be dangerous.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

if you're not worried about voiding your warranty, you screw it open, and blow the dust out in your preferred way.

Push something through the vent to stop the fan and blow out the dust, easiest way.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Take out the supply and use an air compressor with fast paced movements, if you dont have one, find a local shop that might let you use it. Or take the supply apart, unplug the fan and soak it in soapy water, air dust the supply, and then air compressor the inside of the fan to remove water. My fans get a monthly soaking and they work fine as long as you dry them completely and oil them.

Oh my GOD you MORONS. You're telling him to open a high current device with massive capacitors that can deliver a SERIOUS shock!

DO NOT open your PSU. get compressed air and blow it out WITH THE CASING INTACT.

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

^Fucking this. Don't ever open a PSU, no matter how safe you think your surroundings are and how smart you think you are. You might actually survive from it and get a cleaner PSU but you also might die. Not a good trade. Life > Clean PSU. Just blow out the dust using a can of compressed air. You don't need a PSU to be too clean, doesnt affect performance. Unless its a kilogram of dust in there you don't really have to worry.

Put it in the dish washer.

First take out the plug when the system is on to faster drain the capacitors.

Wait two to three weeks, to be safe before opening the psu.

Now put it in the dish washer, the temperature must be below 40 Celcius. (dont use soap)

Dry it for a weak in a dry environments with circulating air.

If any of the capacitors pop , start leaking or you see any kind of corrosion, now its time to go to the scrapyard.

If everything went fine, congratz on a clean psu.

Hi guys,

Was wondering if there's a way to clean out a PSU as I've realized my HX 750 has accumulated quite the amount of dust that I would like it to not have. Do I unscrew the casing and air it out? Or should I just get some compressed air and just blow it out? Any help is greatly appreciated!

If you use compressed air you have to let the PSU dry for 1-2 days before powering it on.

The compressed air contains some water, depends on the enviroment you live in.

If you use compressed air you have to let the PSU dry for 1-2 days before powering it on.

The compressed air contains some water, depends on the enviroment you live in.

Thats if he uses an air compressor, which he should not do. He should use a compressed air can.

BTW they make something called a moisture trap for air compressors. It doesn't HAVE to spray water.

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.