Vice-President of CaseLabs calls out Thermaltake for directly copying their designs (Computex 2015)

Shown at Computex this week, the new "Premium" cases from Thermaltake are near direct copies from CaseLabs.

Kevin Keating the vice-president at CaseLabs, has called out case designer Shannon Robb from Thermaltake, with picture proof, of stealing the design.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1413341898991146&id=100009460486462&pnref=story

In the comments of that thread are some of the top modders (including Bill Owen) and case designers out there, backing up Kevin Keating's story.

10479477_1413341845657818_81483587354619

11226087_1413341848991151_74114960812144

Fractal Josh was on TechTalk recently and address a similar issue from his non-company pov (at least Im 99% sure he said non-Fractal Design opinion). He basically said, Immitation and Flattery and only so many ways to put together a black metal box.

Also, the ThermalTake one is MUCH wider.......could also point out the no window in the ThermalTake case.

lol let me quote this a second time.

-snip-

Wow. Wonder if or when Thermaltake is going to respond. What love to hear what they have to say. 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

If it was only 1 case, I could see how 2 people could have come up with the same design, it's a case after all, but 2 of these caselabs and the other one from fractal, it's hard to deny.

i knew they looked familiar lol

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

It's a black box on top of a rad pedestal, how different can they be?

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I believe it, and when I take a good look at it, it may change whether or not I buy a thermaltake case in the future. 

I have MASSIVE respect for case labs, just massive. And the sad truth is thermaltake will gain from this simply because they are the bigger name in the market, and their non-steel cases are cheaper.

Samsung does it all the time and no one cares. Once again, no one cares. GL CaseLabs with proving this in court.

The sad thing is case labs was truly the first to bring their quality and design style of cases to the market. No one, and no not that shit mountain mods makes comes close. I hope CL adapts and stays afloat.

I want give it more examination before saying this is exactly what happened, but my heart wants to side with case labs. Their quality, their innovations and willingness to take risk, they way they treat customers, everything about them rubs me right.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

It's a black box on top of a rad pedestal, how different can they be?

There was NOTHING like case labs before case labs. Not lian li, not mountain mods, nothing.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Welcome to Case wars!

Wonder what TT will do next.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I could agree with cube shape case, yeah that looks like a copy because its design is not a traditional box like case. However the the case, just looks like a 750D,900D with a extra piece attached to it. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

There was NOTHING like case labs before case labs. Not lian li, not mountain mods, nothing.

Because nobody thought they could get away with selling a black boring box

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

C'mon TT, give a completely ridiculous response to this; so that the internet can laugh at you... Please?  :D

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

This is hilarious, especially because Thermaltake accused Razer of copying one of their case designs for the Razer PC concept.

I do like Thermaltake's version of the Define R5, unrelated, but I will say it's a bit nice given it offers more mobo compatibility up to E-ATX, and it comes with a top magnetic filter on -top- of the moduvent system, so you can swap between them.

Because nobody thought they could get away with selling a black boring box

you've never worked in a case labs case then.

I don't need space ship looking shit.

I need steel cases that can hold what I need them to.

muh specs 

All parts black

There's only one thing I care about these cases... how much for the TT ones? 

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

There's only one thing I care about these cases... how much for the TT ones?

Pretty reasonable. I was looking to get one but I'm hesitant once again to give them business. I've always not like TT. It's still possible I'll get an x9 for a storage box

muh specs 

All parts black

you've never worked in a case labs case then.

I don't need space ship looking shit.

I need steel cases that can hold what I need them to.

That's incredibly insulting.

I own an H440, and you don't think i understand the form>function ideal? You don't have to be a genius to understand looks aren't everything.

Wait those cases at computex were from TT?

WTF

I looked at them and thought they were caselabs. I was like "Why the hell is caselab showing an already released year ago product"?

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

I don't see the problem, at least Thermaltake isn't charging an arm and a leg for it, and their cases come assembled.

That's incredibly insulting.

I own an H440, and you don't think i understand the form>function ideal? You don't have to be a genius to understand looks aren't everything.

Honestly, I prefer both.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

As a long time supporter of Caselabs, I have owned three, I have to say this is really shitty to see. After their clear rip off with the Core series, this is just another kick in the ass to CL, along with other companies they have ripped off, including Fractal and Antec.

Way to not do anything original TT... Unlike the new Antec S10 - at $500 bucks who the heck will buy it? But, definitely original.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I don't see the problem, at least Thermaltake isn't charging an arm and a leg for it, and their cases come assembled.

Honestly, I prefer both.

That is were the problem lies now, the cases being shown off from TT are Caselabs cases with "slight" changes so TT has no right to the manufacturing for them unless they are gonna invest the $1000's it takes to make it cheap and effecient to produce them.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14