GTX970 on my laptop?

Jerochy

So I have an XPS15 laptop that I bought back in 2011. I'm into gaming and editing but really dont want to shell out the money for a new computer. Everything in my laptop is more than ample for gaming except the lackluster GT540M graphics card. 
Intel HM67 motherboard

I saw this video where this guy used a device to setup an external GPU on his basic laptop setup and play games with high graphical demands

He was using this device http://www.banggood.com/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-p-934367.html

My question is, with a sufficient external power supply, could I run a powerful GPU like the 970 for my laptop?
Here's the 970 http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications

Thanks!

while devices like that *mostly* seem to work, as a tinkerer myself, i kinda recommend against doing it, because it pretty much requires you to tear down your laptop, and hope it has the right connector. (most modern laptops do, if not everything is soldered in tho.)

You need to make sure your laptop has a pci slot...

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

I think if you hooked up a 970 to a 4 year old laptop CPU, your gaming experience would be less than ideal.

I am doing the same thing with my Lenovo T420. But, with a 750 instead.

The thing is, you need to tear it open and plug into the msata slot each time. There is also an expresscard option for the adapter. Which is a lot more easier for plug and play options.

I say go for it! :D

Quote my post if you need me to respond.

Two things...

PCIE bandwidth may not be using 16x, but 4x, of PCIE2.0, which WILL limit the GTX 970 by a margin.

Using older CPU's with powerful GPU's, are not that great, the higher you crank details the better, but you won't get a lot of FPS at all, even with lowering settings.. you could very well be seeing under 30fps ALWAYS due to your CPU in many games, regardless of the GTX 970 being a beast.

With such an old CPU,...Your basically looking at spending money for nothing...

If the GPU used was not such a beast then it MAYBE feasible with such a lowend CPU, but if the parts required to use a external-GPU are pricey,, OR if they limit your PCIE bandwidth under PCIE 2.0 8x (if their 4x or slower) forget it.

/That video tested an OLD game like the older Tombraider (not the one from the last 2 years, but older), so its less of an issue, you will not be playing ANY modern games well with that laptop CPU he has, or that you have if its that old..

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz