Xclaim XI-3 Indoor AP

how big is the difference between the XI-3 amd the XI-2?

I just installed two XI-1 at the office (set to 2.4Ghz), each is at a different floor of about 150m2, and it covers them perfectly, the connection is very strong and the devices connect lightning fast (I mean really fast), it covers about the same distance as an Ubiquiti AP single band but the connection seems much faster, like he said my phone seems to be faster. The Ubiquiti is still OK and it still works with many devices connected without loosing stability but its speed (or maybe lag) seems to be like a consumer grade AP where this just snaps.

I am considering buying XI-3 for my home where right now I am with Ruckus 7363.

This is a good product even at the little higher then Ubiquiti price.

P.S.: the Office building is solid concrete with far too many columns, so covering it is an achievement on its own :)

Can somebody explain to me how this would be useful for a normal consumer? It seems that coverage is great and that multiple people can access bandwidth at once without it crashing. But for a medium sized house with 3-4 people would anyone see any benefits as opposed to a decent consumer grade model?

Can somebody explain to me how this would be useful for a normal consumer? It seems that coverage is great and that multiple people can access bandwidth at once without it crashing. But for a medium sized house with 3-4 people would anyone see any benefits as opposed to a decent consumer grade model?

In a house with 4 people this would mean, assuming everyone has at least 2 devices, no more then 10 devices and not all of them working at once, so the multiple connections stability is not an issue even for a consumer device.

The range might be important but note that the range by itself is not that remarkable, you will not connect from down the street, but the thing is if you are connected it just works, and you will not notice (in most cases) that the bandwidth is slower from a long distance.

Other benefit is it will connect fast, and that seems like something little but it becomes so seamless that in time you forget that you are connected to something (again with the saying, it just works).

Also if you are not transferring files trough the wifi network you can go with the cheaper Xi-2 or 1 models and you will be OK, but in many cases a simple consumer solution will be just fine, though you being in this tread is a little sign you know what Linus is rambling on about and your WIFI just doesn't work :)

Sorry for the long ramble from me too but it is complicated.

In a house with 4 people this would mean, assuming everyone has at least 2 devices, no more then 10 devices and not all of them working at once, so the multiple connections stability is not an issue even for a consumer device.

The range might be important but note that the range by itself is not that remarkable, you will not connect from down the street, but the thing is if you are connected it just works, and you will not notice (in most cases) that the bandwidth is slower from a long distance.

Other benefit is it will connect fast, and that seems like something little but it becomes so seamless that in time you forget that you are connected to something (again with the saying, it just works).

Also if you are not transferring files trough the wifi network you can go with the cheaper Xi-2 or 1 models and you will be OK, but in many cases a simple consumer solution will be just fine, though you being in this tread is a little sign you know what Linus is rambling on about and your WIFI just doesn't work :)

Sorry for the long ramble from me too but it is complicated.

I appreciate your opinions! I might be on the look out for a router as mine is giving me a headache so I'm mostly just looking around, and also I like learning about tech

Not experienced with these. How do you connect this to your main router to which your internet cable goes to?

My router is upstairs, downstairs there is very slow wifi speed on my smart tv on the 2.4ghz network, the 5ghz one is not even detected. I bought a wireless range extender from tp-link (TP-Link RE200 AC750 range extender)  that i have plugged in downstairs and connect the tv to that using 5ghz. It works ok for youtube and streaming movies from the main pc, but only up to 4gb-7gb or so, without buffering. 8gb+ movies are always buffering and are unplayable thru wifi.

The speed i'm getting is around 40Mbps on my iphone6, connected to the extender downstairs, so speed should be sufficient. The adaptor loses connection to the router often i think, hence the buffering i experience. I also have to plug-unplug it every few days because it just crashes and network goes dead.

So would this help me out get fast and consistent speed downstairs to my TV?

Would I have to run another ethernet cable from my main router upstairs to the wifi ap downstairs or how does that power over ethernet box thing works / is supposed to do?

If I would need to run another long ass ethernet cable from upstairs to down it would make no sense. I could just hook that to the TV directly and get 500Mbit and forget about the wireless nonsense.

I am however looking for an elegant solution that involves no wires so is this any good or what are my options? If any

• 2 weeks later...

Linksys WRT AC1900 or ruckus Xclaim Xi-3?

Im tired of consumer level wifi routers, looking for better performance better range access point. Im living with two other guys(lots of gaming) and having 4k tv, streaming 4k content. I was thinking of ruckus r700 but its too expensive to afford. What you guys think?

• 1 month later...

So I have terrible WiFi in my house. I was wondering does this AP provide better wifi connection? Better range? Both? Or does it just support more concurrent devices? I currently have the ASUS RT-AC68U but the WiFi is weak through my floor. Is this a good purchase? Any better ideas?

• 4 months later...

Do these units need a DHCP server or can they manage DHCP on their own? 

So I purchased an Xi-1 about a month ago and have been less than impressed. I figured I would start here for help before trying the Xclaim forums. 

My first issue was that my wireless signal would drop to nothing every minute or two for a few seconds, then go back to normal while sitting in the same spot. This would cause videos to buffer (I am on a 3Mb T1 connection because I live out in the country). After I updated to the new cloud manager that problem seemed to solve itself. 

The real issue now is that if my phone screen is off, it seems to disconnect from the wireless network and default back to 4G. I have never experienced this behavior before on an AP. It's as if the Xi-1 kicks off clients if they aren't actively using it. Because of my slow connection, and because I got Youtube Red through Google Play Music, I decided to download a handful of 720P videos offline to watch the next night. I woke up the next morning to a data usage warning showing that I had blown through half my month's shared data because my phone had switched from the Xi-1 to 4G and kept on downloading. I tried the same thing the next night on my router's wireless network (an old Linksys E3000) and it stayed connected constantly. Even now when I turn my phone screen on it will show as connected to 4G, then after about 2 seconds connect to the Xi-1. I think this is also dumping my phone's battery life as it's constantly switching back and forth instead of staying on WiFi all day. I figured maybe because it's a business-oriented device that it is designed to kick clients off if they aren't active? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

So I purchased an Xi-1 about a month ago and have been less than impressed. I figured I would start here for help before trying the Xclaim forums.

My first issue was that my wireless signal would drop to nothing every minute or two for a few seconds, then go back to normal while sitting in the same spot. This would cause videos to buffer (I am on a 3Mb T1 connection because I live out in the country). After I updated to the new cloud manager that problem seemed to solve itself.

The real issue now is that if my phone screen is off, it seems to disconnect from the wireless network and default back to 4G. I have never experienced this behavior before on an AP. It's as if the Xi-1 kicks off clients if they aren't actively using it. Because of my slow connection, and because I got Youtube Red through Google Play Music, I decided to download a handful of 720P videos offline to watch the next night. I woke up the next morning to a data usage warning showing that I had blown through half my month's shared data because my phone had switched from the Xi-1 to 4G and kept on downloading. I tried the same thing the next night on my router's wireless network (an old Linksys E3000) and it stayed connected constantly. Even now when I turn my phone screen on it will show as connected to 4G, then after about 2 seconds connect to the Xi-1. I think this is also dumping my phone's battery life as it's constantly switching back and forth instead of staying on WiFi all day. I figured maybe because it's a business-oriented device that it is designed to kick clients off if they aren't active? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I think you're looking at a pretty specific issue here regarding the configuration of the XI-1, and you'll probably get better assistance on the XClaim forums.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

I think you're looking at a pretty specific issue here regarding the configuration of the XI-1, and you'll probably get better assistance on the XClaim forums.

Yeah, I posted over there; Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2015 at 7:13 AM, Rahldrac said:

What would be the best solution for a just a powerful router tho? I have the Asus RT N66U (Dark knight), and even when i have OK signal, the speed is horrible. 

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X is the best prosumer router on the market and it's under $100 on Amazon. The settings look intimidating at first but if you use the wizzards it does all the work for you and I've had mine up and running for almost a year with the only down time being due to ISP related issues (modem sending bad packets to router). I Also use the Ubiquiti Unifi UAP's I have the Unifi UAPLR and the Unifi UAPPRO both work great I put the LR model near a back yard window to cover my large 3 acre yard and the PRO for inside critical speed uses.