Comcast's Long-term Nerfarious Plans to Silence Their Biggest Critics (like The Verge)

deadher0

Sources: 

http://bgr.com/2015/05/27/why-is-comcast-so-bad-49/

http://qz.com/412195/comcast-investor-in-vox-media-and-recode-could-end-up-buying-them-both/

comcastic.jpg?w=625

In other words, Comcast would be buying up websites that for the past couple of years have been some of its harshest critics. This would raise similar concerns that were raised recently when Verizon announced plans to buy AOL, which owns websites such as The Huffington Post and TechCrunch that were both big proponents of net neutrality.

The second part of Comcast’s plan comes to us via Quartz, which reports that the cable giant “has been engaged in halting negotiations to acquire Vox Media.” Vox Media, for those of you who don’t know, is the owner of news websites such as Vox, The Verge and, most recently, Re/code. All three of those websites have been very critical of Comcast and regularly featured articles that slammed its proposed merger with Time Warner Cable. (via The Verge)

Essentially, Comcast is actively trying to buy up big media groups including Vox Media.  A quick browse of wikipedia will show you that Vox owns sites like Polygon and The Verge.  Both Polygon and The Verge (which are commonly refereed to sources on the LMG forums, which is why this is a big deal) are heavily outspoken critics against Comcast for multitudes of reasons, including issues that stem around Comcast's terrible customer service and their position on Net Neutrality.  

We'd like to believe Comcast's intentions are noble here... but, you know, it's Comcast.

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

There are no shortage of web sites that criticize Comcast.

Its like them trying to empty the ocean of fish with just a single pole (though they seem to be getting some of the bigger ones out of there first).

Its like them trying to empty the ocean of fish with just a single pole (though they seem to be getting some of the bigger ones out of there first).

This is true.  The reason this resonated with me is that The Verge is what I'd consider, at least to me, a trusted source for all things tech.  Once acquired, the only thing we could trust from The Verge would be stuff like... tablet reviews. :| 

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

what can we do too make a difference about this? or are we just fucked in the butt? 

what can we do too make a difference about this? or are we just fucked in the butt? 

unfortunately we require the american populace to vote in people who actually represent there constituents, have there best interests at heart, understand technology and understand the economics surrounding it. oh they also need to not be able to be bribed with campaign donations and not be "pro" business, (pro in quotes referring to them putting business ahead of everything else).

ISPs = Worst companies in the world

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Can't really do much about it.

I'm sure Comcast has legitimate reasons they can give for them acquiring the companies and the people who own said companies being bought are probably going to get paid very well, enough for them to disregard any concerns about integrity and any underhanded reasons there could be fore the purchase.

unfortunately we require the american populace to vote in people who actually represent there constituents, have there best interests at heart, understand technology and understand the economics surrounding it. oh they also need to not be able to be bribed with campaign donations and not be "pro" business, (pro in quotes referring to them putting business ahead of everything else).

how likely do you think this would happen? and do you think that other American feel the same way? or are they too content to care?

how likely do you think this would happen? and do you think that other American feel the same way? or are they too content to care?

Doesn't really have anything to do with the people being content, just about everyone that we vote into office, even if they seem legit and have a clean background, usually end up doing fuck all in office.

I haven't really seen a politician make a big difference in a very long time. 

There's so many checks and balances in our system that I think it does more bad than good.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Thing is, most people only look at the big fish. If there's nothing there, Comcast will have effectively silenced any dissenting voices from the ears of "non-techies". They know they can't change anyone's mind who is wise to their activities or is in the tech world enough to know, but that's enough for them.

I don't do signatures.

There's so many checks and balances in our system that I think it does more bad than good.

I'll take this opportunity to point out that some of history's nastiest dictators started out as populists with widespread support who were perceived to "get things done." And they did. It's a dangerous notion to think oversight and accountability are hindrances to "progress."

Unless they plan to buy off every single person on the internet, they will continue to be criticized for being the corporate equivalent of Hitler.

Which....wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing (for everyone else) because that amount of money would bankrupt them.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

ISPs = Worst companies in the world

ISPs aren't too bad when you compare them to GAP, Phillip Morris, Shell, Foxconn, FIFA...etc.

No forced labors, extortion, or deaths yet. 

ISPs aren't too bad when you compare them to GAP, Phillip Morris, Shell, Foxconn, FIFA...etc.

No forced labors, extortion, or deaths yet. 

This is pretty close.

Where have I seen this tactic before ...

Didn't Verizon recently acquire The Huffington Post, one of their greatest critics, by buying AOL ? 

I seem to remember Logan talking about that in one of the latest epsiodes of The Tek.