80 C stock speed = bad to overclock

So, my CPU (intel I5 4690K) runs to 80C before completely hitting a wall and not getting any hotter, is it safe to overclock, or should i buy annother cooler

Or is 80C okey for a CPU to run at in the first place, ive heard people saying that 90C is really bad for processors

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

get another cooler first

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

dont oc, you mounted it wrong.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Are you cooling on air or with water?

stock cooler, i have sinned, but im low on gold

So, my CPU (intel I5 4690K) runs to 80C before completely hitting a wall and not getting any hotter, is it safe to overclock, or should i buy annother cooler

Or is 80C okey for a CPU to run at in the first place, ive heard people saying that 90C is really bad for processors

Get a new cooler.

Mine doesn't go over 72c or so under heavy load with stock cooler :P

I'd say keep it below 75c or so and you're fine, but getting up past that is the danger zone.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

how do you know, is it you that lives in my basement?

80ºC is a borderline safe temperature, but any higher would make me alarmed. I would hold off until you have a better cooler. Stock coolers are fine for stock clock speeds, but it looks like your cooler is already at its cooling capacity. It's possible you mounted it wrong, or maybe your settings in bios is putting more volts than necessary through your CPU.

how do you know, is it you that lives in my basement?

Yep, im a basement dweller. I used to run my 3770k on a stock cooler and it barely hit 70c. ivy is hotter than haswell.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Don't consider overclocking until you have a decent aftermarket cooler.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Get a new cooler.

Mine doesn't go over 72c or so under heavy load with stock cooler :P

I'd say keep it below 75c or so and you're fine, but getting up past that is the danger zone.

oh shit, so my cpu has brain damage for running at 80C during my stress test?

this just got spooky

But if i dont OC, would i be fine to keep the stock cooler, or should i change it before my CPU melts while playing arma and totalwar?

If you are ocing don't use the stock cooler.  If you are hitting that high I'd replace with a 212 evo, but if you are ocing I'd get a custom water cooling kit or an all in one liquid cooler.

water and computer does not match up

i cannot leave the wind power behind

I don't think that's possible with how idiot proof those stocks coolers.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

oh shit, so my cpu has brain damage for running at 80C during my stress test?

this just got spooky

But if i dont OC, would i be fine to keep the stock cooler, or should i change it before my CPU melts while playing arma and totalwar?

It hasn't suffered damage. A stress test is an unrealistic load that you will never encounter in day-to-day usage.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

80ºC is a borderline safe temperature, but any higher would make me alarmed. I would hold off until you have a better cooler. Stock coolers are fine for stock clock speeds, but it looks like your cooler is already at its cooling capacity. It's possible you mounted it wrong, or maybe your settings in bios is putting more volts than necessary through your CPU.

i have 81, are my computer going to explode?

This made my day :)

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

It hasn't suffered damage. A stress test is an unrealistic load that you will never encounter in day-to-day usage.

but wouldnt a battle with 10 thousands of people make the CPU warm up? It sure made the game lag

but wouldnt a battle with 10 thousands of people make the CPU warm up? It sure made the game lag

It would, and that's very normal.

i have 81, are my computer going to explode?

If it gets too high your machine will restart or turn off anyway, it has its own safety's built into the CPU (100*c or maybe its 105*c) I would never try to exceed 85*c, but have seen stock cooling go into the 90's easily enough under load in a shitty case with no airflow.

But on a good CPU cooler, I have never exceeded 85*c by choice. trying to always stick around 80*c (when OC'd I mean) when not OC'd even a shitty cooler keeps the CPU cool at 60*c under load. (my i5 4690 is a non-K, always locked to 3.9Ghz without BCLK modding)

Get a better cooler, if you OC now...sorry to say but your a doofus if you do.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

It would, and that's very normal.

But wouldnt that mean my CPU is dead in its cage, since the battle went on for like 10 minutes

also how would mounting a CPU cooler wrong make it blow less air, wouldnt it just work if it was mounter right, and not work if it was mounted wrong

If it gets too high your machine will restart or turn off anyway, it has its own safety's built into the CPU (100*c or maybe its 105*c) I would never try to exceed 85*c, but have seen stock cooling go into the 90's easily enough under load in a shitty case with no airflow.

But on a good CPU cooler, I have never exceeded 85*c by choice. trying to always stick around 80*c (when OC'd I mean) when not OC'd even a shitty cooler keeps the CPU cool at 60*c under load. (my i5 4690 is a non-K, always locked to 3.9Ghz without BCLK modding)

Get a better cooler, if you OC now...sorry to say but your a doofus if you do.

I fight social norms every day

May the overclocks begin on the stock cooler

(but no, i cant risk putting my computer at risk, it would be selfish of me)

But wouldnt that mean my CPU is dead in its cage, since the battle went on for like 10 minutes

also how would mounting a CPU cooler wrong make it blow less air, wouldnt it just work if it was mounter right, and not work if it was mounted wrong

No it's not dead. You said stress test (unrealisitic) earliler but now you mention a game? Which is it?

The copper base of the heatsink wouldn't be making proper contact with the heatspreader surroundingthe CPU.

That and most boards tend to shut the system down when they detect too much heat from other components.

it did not shut the system down, altough it did slow the computer into a crawl

Also, can you get BSOD from having the compontents being too hot?

No it's not dead. You said stress test (unrealisitic) earliler but now you mention a game? Which is it?

The copper base of the heatsink wouldn't be making proper contact with the heatspreader on the CPU.

i did the stress test to see its temps recently (using FurMark), but when i first built the computer i played a lot of total war (since my old computer was a potato)

I will check tomorrow if the heatsink sits in place