HELP! HDD files showing as weird characters and unable to open files

Bicko96

so i had windows 10, but didint like it. i decided to downgrade to windows 7 but before i done that i got a 20gb hdd and moved some important files to it so i could do a fresh install and keep some files, when i plugged the hdd out everything looked fine and after i installed windows 7 i plugged the hdd back in and now everything looks weird and i keep getting and syntax incorrect error,

heres a picture:

e8ub1j.jpg

really need some help as the files are important to me

thanks

That's some major corruption dude... Idk how you'll get that stuff back. I mean some of the files think they were made in the future 0.o

You might not even have a chance at getting those files back...

Also, why did you install Windows 10 on your main drive? That 20GB hard drive you use is probably ancient and probably can't store properly data at all.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

I am pretty sure that only Windows 10 has a chance of reading those files correctly.

IIRC Win 10 uses, or can use a completely different file system, but then you wouldn't see anything on the drive...

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

^ I've transferred quite a few files between 7 and 10 with no issues so far.  Theres no reason Win 10 would convert them into some sort of proprietary format or file system that only it could read.

If I had to guess I'd say it is a drive related issue.  There may have been a problem with that 20gb drive.  Can you right click on the files and see the properties?  Can you re-name them?   What exactly happens when you try to open them?

You need to run Chdksk /f, be prepare for missing files.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |