Chances of getting a dead PSU.

Assassin

I'm going in for a new build and i should have everything by August 15. The psu I want is AX860i and right now it's on a good discount. Should I buy it right now? What are the chances of getting a dead one? Will I be able to return it to corsair if it is dead on arrival?

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Zero it won't be dead the AX860i is one of the best psu's on the market right now . If it's dead ( which it isn't ) just send it to corsair they will take care of it.

Interested in Business and Technology

I've heard good things about Corsair customer service. They usually give 7 year warranties on their PSU's as well.

Yeah because they do not give 7 year warranties on stuff that will break right out of the box

Corsair is really good. A lot of their stuff comes with life time warranties. It is definitely worth getting. I got the 760i for 50% off and I still have not done the build with it!

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

As long as your house isn't above 100* then your good for a decade, If I were you, i'd go for a PSU(not cheap ones either) that has 5Years+ warranty and also is that PSU really necessary? nowadays with a single GPU it's like 500w top...

very very (think of me typing very 1001283410297341209781 times) little

do u ask this when buying food at the super market ? i dont think any company would reject a refund if it was dead from the box

The chances that you will get one will be very minimal and you could return it if it is DOA. With its seven year warranty and unlimited access to customer service and technical support you should be fine.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

My K90 was defective twice right out of the box. Sent it back to Corsair and they gave me a K95 instead! Their customer service is awesome, they respond very quickly. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Corsair is really nice at PSU's, don't worry. They DO make quality products

AMD FX 8350, ASUS GTX 770 DirectCUII, ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0, CORSAIR TX 750, CORSAIR VEANGENCE BLACK 8GB'S 1600Mhz, Hyper 212 evo, Aerocool Strike-X GT, Crucial M4 128GB SSD, Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Asus CrapReader 

Corsair is really nice at PSU's, don't worry. They DO make quality products

* Seasonic and Flextronic make the quality products, Corsair adds another 2 years to the warranty and puts a nicer sticker on the case :)

Well, OK, they might change a couple of things, but their OEM suppliers do most, if not all, of the heavy lifting.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Buy from a reputable manufacture and your chances will be very low.There's still a chance you can get one that's DOA though, as that's the nature of it; there's gonna be lemons that slip past.

I shouldn't even say there's lemons that slip past (although that's a possibility too), but it could become damaged on the way to the retailer or on the way to you.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

* Seasonic and Flextronic make the quality products, Corsair adds another 2 years to the warranty and puts a nicer sticker on the case :)

Well, OK, they might change a couple of things, but their OEM suppliers do most, if not all, of the heavy lifting.

True, my corsair TX750 is a rebranded XFX750 pro

AMD FX 8350, ASUS GTX 770 DirectCUII, ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0, CORSAIR TX 750, CORSAIR VEANGENCE BLACK 8GB'S 1600Mhz, Hyper 212 evo, Aerocool Strike-X GT, Crucial M4 128GB SSD, Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Asus CrapReader 

So it's rebranded from a PSU that's rebranded from Seasonic.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

So it's rebranded from a PSU that's rebranded from Seasonic.

Pretty much, I guess

I'm going in for a new build and i should have everything by August 15. The psu I want is AX860i and right now it's on a good discount. Should I buy it right now? What are the chances of getting a dead one? Will I be able to return it to corsair if it is dead on arrival?

slim. More than half the time people claim an item is DOA its user error or they just dont know how to flip a switch honestly. Corsair is pretty reliable with things working on arrival and lasting, the real only likely reason that you would get a doa psu is if someone played soccer with it during shipping. Dont worry about DOA's. The most important thing is that you know what youre doing.  Take reviews lightly, stupid people dump money on a part they don't know how to use correctly or they abuse the review system for whatever reason and make customers reluctant to buy it. For example look at this 7850 on newegg. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125419

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-mini-Displayport-PCI-Express-Graphic-GV-R785OC-2GD/dp/B007PJTNYS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374377781&sr=8-1&keywords=gigabyte+7850

quite possibly someone with a negative experience on newegg leaving multiple reviews (because you can do that on newegg without proof of purchase)

take reviews lightly and dont worry.

no cuz xfx doesnt make their own psu's 

I bought a HX850 about two months ago, it died, I RMA'd it. Then when I received it, it was DoA. Guess it's all about luck.

Home Desktop // CM Storm Scout Fractal Design R4 / Intel i5 2500k @ 4.4ghZ Intel i7 4770k @ Stock / AsRock z68 Extreme4  Asus Sabertooth z87 / ADATA 256gb / Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB / Asus GTX 770 //

Laptop // Apple MacBook Retina 15' - Intel i7 - 8GB - 256GB //

well my personal experience with corsair is rather poor since the 1st psu i bought myself is hx650 and it was doa, since i couldnt afford to wait, i swapped it out with a seasonic. bit sad, but its a luck of a draw thing, so we dont really know.

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K (Stock Speed)  Motherboard: Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark-S  Memory: 4x8GB Klevv GENUINE DDR3 1600MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 550Ti PSU: Corsair RM850

• 2 years later...

Bought an XFX PRO 1250W and it was DOA.

Sent it back and they sent me another one, was also DOA... Not even sure I want a third one... Half-tempted to do it, just to test the probability.

Posted for googleability*