Am I approaching bottleneck between the GPU and CPU?

Go to solution Solved by WereCat,

You wont be bottlenecked with R9 270 and that CPU BUT ASKING 240£ FOR IT IS A CRIME!

New one from store R9 270 is max 130£ !!!!!

EDIT:

Oh wait you said SET of R9 270s (so I understant 2x the same card??).. that is another story. If they are new then it is good deal but then you WILL be bottlenecked by that CPU and also you would be better of to spend that kind of money on more powerfull single GPU card or sell your current CPU and Motherboard and buy i5 with new motherboard and rest of the money put on single R9 270 or if you will have enough money which you should have after selling your CPU+MOBO then you should be able to afford R9 280.

hi guys, long time reader, first time poster. Sorry for my use of the term bottleneck. It seems everyone hates it, but it seems appropriate

I need to upgrade my GPU, well, I say 'need' to, more of a want to for aesthetic purposes but also because I'm going to start liquid cooling.

Currently I am running the following:

• NZXT S340
  • Asus Crossblade Ranger
  • AMD Athlon x4 860k (stock block speed(because overclocking is scary))
  • AMD Radeon HD 7770
  • Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB)
  • Corsair RM850
  • 3 x WD Green 2TB
  • 2 x Corsair Force GS 128GB
  • NZXT x61 Kraken

I want to upgrade my GPU to a set of MSI R9 270 Gaming's to crossfire them because a buddy is offering me for £240 (Considering they RRP at £176 each, good deal? They're boxed too). 

I'm worried however that the CPU might not cope with it or be good enough.. I love that CPU and I don't really want to change it but I guess I could if needed

What do you guys think?

Thanks for any response,

Terry.

Edit: Added that I want to crossfire the two new cards

You can upgrade to a R9 270 and you won't be bottlenecked most of the time,

but for 240£ ?

You're getting ripped off, I'm selling R9 290's for 240£ ...

A R9 270 would go for about 110£ at max on ebay ( eu market ).

EDIT: X fire. Although 240£ for two is still a lot .

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

Why did you buy a Crossblade Ranger?

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

You wont be bottlenecked with R9 270 and that CPU BUT ASKING 240£ FOR IT IS A CRIME!

EDIT:

Oh wait you said SET of R9 270s (so I understant 2x the same card??).. that is another story. If they are new then it is good deal but then you WILL be bottlenecked by that CPU and also you would be better of to spend that kind of money on more powerfull single GPU card or sell your current CPU and Motherboard and buy i5 with new motherboard and rest of the money put on single R9 270 or if you will have enough money which you should have after selling your CPU+MOBO then you should be able to afford R9 280.

You can upgrade to a R9 270 and you won't be bottlenecked most of the time,

but for 240£ ?

You're getting ripped off, I'm selling R9 290's for 240£ ...

A R9 270 would go for about 110£ at max on ebay ( eu market ).

"a set of" 

-- i think he means he is getting two, for that price.

I think it's a crossfire guys. Not a single card.

Just tag @ChatDaw so I can answer as fast as possible.

Sorry guys, I forgot to note I wanted to crossfire them!!

"a set of" 

Yea, I already noticed that and updated my previous post. I kinda missed it at first :)

"a set of" 

Correct;

But that's still a stupid price for an older card.

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

try get your friend down to £200, £240 is a little high for used cards 

i wouldn't suggest going liquid cooling with your setup you wont make full use of it and it will cost you more then 75% of your whole pc. 

i wouldn't suggest going liquid cooling with your setup you wont make full use of it and it will cost you more then 75% of your whole pc. 

if they're well-maintained, and arent worn out (and boxed!) they are worth a bit more.

however, i'm feeling the drop to 200 might be reasonable.

i got offered a pair of GTX760's for €150 before.

Boxed :P Original packaging

I've crossfired 2x R9 270s before, i got literally 2 FPS performance increase. It's REALLY not worth it. Just buy a 280

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

I've crossfired 2x R9 270s before, i got literally 2 FPS performance increase. It's REALLY not worth it. Just buy a 280

Hum... It is worth it. Just that the game you were playing either didn't support crossfire or didn't scale properly I guess.

Just tag @ChatDaw so I can answer as fast as possible.

Hum... It is worth it. Just that the game you were playing either didn't support crossfire or didn't scale properly I guess.

I meant in all games. Maybe my system didn't scale it correctly, dunno.

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

i think there will be no bottleneck due to the face that amd is 4 cores and well i3 2100 dual core can handle a nvidia gtx 760 with little bottleneck 

and your cpu is better than the i3 2100 i hope there will be no bottleneck with that cpu if you crossfire them then you will experience bottlencek

i think there will be no bottleneck due to the face that amd is 4 cores and well i3 2100 dual core can handle a nvidia gtx 760 with little bottleneck 

and your cpu is better than the i3 2100 i hope there will be no bottleneck with that cpu if you crossfire them then you will experience bottlencek

Not entirely correct. the i3 2100 is better than the OP's 860k