Cooler Master TX3 CPU-Cooler vs intel Stock vs Hyper 212 evo

Zethlon

Hi LTT community.

So im helping my friend with some computer stuff, he's looking into a new Desktop. Right now it has a i5-4460 with the intel stock cooler. you can change the cooler to either a CM TX3 cooler, or a Alpenfohn Sella Cooler. but there isn't an option for the 212 evo, and i was just wondering if the TX3 or the Sella was any good compared to the 212. i was thinking of buying the 212 evo for him and installing it, but im just worried that i mess something up.

What do you guys think i should tell him to do, is the TX3 worth it?

Hi LTT community.

So im helping my friend with some computer stuff, he's looking into a new Desktop. Right now it has a i5-4460 with the intel stock cooler. you can change the cooler to either a CM TX3 cooler, or a Alpenfohn Sella Cooler. but there isn't an option for the 212 evo, and i was just wondering if the TX3 or the Sella was any good compared to the 212. i was thinking of buying the 212 evo for him and installing it, but im just worried that i mess something up.

From my experience the tx3 will do absolutely fine and is totally worth it's price, the 212 is marginally better.

The 212 evo could be slightly quieter, but when you have a locked CPU, there won't be a huge difference between them. The stock cool is much worse though.

The TX3 will be good enough for just cooling the cpu, but if you can, get the stock first then buy a 212 after.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

The TX3 will be good enough for just cooling the cpu, but if you can, get the stock first then buy a 212 after.

im just a bit scared that i'd mess something up or not do the change of cooler probally, and if i pick the TX3, the constructor from the website will do it for him. 

Hi LTT community.

As far as I know:

Get the 212 evo if you are overclocking or get the TX3 if you are not overclocking.

Depending on the price difference the 212 evo might be worth.

But if you are on stock settings then the performance difference shouldn't matter much.

Summarize: Go for whatever is cheaper out of the two.

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen R9 5900x @ 5.1GHz - Auto OC
  • Curve Optimizer Magnitude: -20
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX x570-F Gaming
  • RAM
                                        Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16x2GB
  • GPU
    MSI 3070 8GB Ventus 2x OC
  • Case
    LIAN LI LANCOOL MESH II Mesh RGB Black
  • Storage
    Kingston NV1 2TB M.2. NVMe
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
    MSI OPTIX MAG 251RX IPS 240hz & ASUS MG248Q Vertical 144hz & Dell 60hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System
    -Windows 10 Professional 64bit

im just a bit scared that i'd mess something up or not do the change of cooler probally, and if i pick the TX3, the constructor from the website will do it for him. 

it's pretty easy, there are a lot of guides on youtube if you're scared.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

im just a bit scared that i'd mess something up or not do the change of cooler probably*, and if i pick the TX3, the constructor from the website will do it for him. 

Then just go with the TX3 :P

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen R9 5900x @ 5.1GHz - Auto OC
  • Curve Optimizer Magnitude: -20
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX x570-F Gaming
  • RAM
                                        Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16x2GB
  • GPU
    MSI 3070 8GB Ventus 2x OC
  • Case
    LIAN LI LANCOOL MESH II Mesh RGB Black
  • Storage
    Kingston NV1 2TB M.2. NVMe
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
    MSI OPTIX MAG 251RX IPS 240hz & ASUS MG248Q Vertical 144hz & Dell 60hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System
    -Windows 10 Professional 64bit

The Sella is the better cooler out of the two. If it's around the same price I would buy that. Performance should be around the same or better than the 212 EVO, maybe a few db  louder under load.