Won't power on...need help.

patrick.glock

Hey,

So last night I put my PC into a windows user lock and went to go grab something.When I came back my PC had an orange light on the power button. Normally that means sleep mode, but I don't have that enabled. So I hit the power button and it started flashing green and orange. The display didn't turn back on , so I shut it down. Now it won't power up.

So far I have u plugged all devices, GPU, ram, HDDs, and tried a different power supply. None of that has worked so far. I also tried a CMOS reset as requested by the manual.

When I hit the power button for the first time when plugging in, the PSU fan turns on for half a second and then stops. Nothing happens to the CPU fan.

Case: Compaq SR5710F

CPU: FX-6300,

GPU: Zotac GTX 960,

RAM: G.Skill Ripsaw 1333 8GB (2x4gb),

Motherboard: ECS A960M-M3,

PSU: EVGA 500b,

HDDs: Western Digital 250GB, Western Digital 500GB.

Thanks for any help,

Patrick

Case: NZXT 210

CPU: i5-4690k - GPU: Zotac GTX 960

RAM: G.Skill Ripsaw 1333 16GB (2x8gb) - Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate

PSU: EVGA 500b - HDDs: Western Digital 250GB, Western Digital 500GB, Western Digital 1TB.

I had the same problem or something similar I sent my power-supply back and replaced and it worked. Just to check does the PC spin up for half a second or so then shut back down?

My System now I5 4670k ,H100i, Z87X-D3H, 8GB of Black Muramba, 7970 Sapphire with backplate , Thermaltake chaser A31 black with blue accents ,AX 760 With Blue Cabels, Samsung 840 120gb SSD ,1TB Black ,256 Ultra Plus SanDisk

Hey, I tried two power supplies and neither worked. I also found out that the CPU fan spin for a split second before stopping also. No leds come on.

I talked with a friend and we narrowed it down to my case not being able to ground correctly anymore. So it killed the motherboard.

PSU: EVGA 500b - HDDs: Western Digital 250GB, Western Digital 500GB, Western Digital 1TB.

~snip~

Hey patrick.glock,

It does sound that the motherboard is failing. I would suggest taking it to a technician for testing, otherwise you are risking the health of your other parts, including your storage drives and thus your data. I would try the parts on another motherboard if you can and confirm that the problem is there. 
Do you hear any beeping sounds? Is there any error light that is blinking on the motherboard?

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey,

Hey patrick.glock,

It does sound that the motherboard is failing. I would suggest taking it to a technician for testing, otherwise you are risking the health of your other parts, including your storage drives and thus your data. I would try the parts on another motherboard if you can and confirm that the problem is there. 
Do you hear any beeping sounds? Is there any error light that is blinking on the motherboard?

Captain_WD.

I've plugged in a second CPU and the exact samething happens. I've removed my Ram, GPU, and HDD's so that nothing will get damaged when testing.

I've got a very limited budget to fix this and I have to fix it soon.

No beeping sounds, no error lights. Here is exactly what happens.

Hit start button.

CPU and PSU fan starts and stops really quickly.

Nothing else happens.

The fans only start on the first power press after plugging in.

If you need anymore details, please let me know.

Thanks,

Patrick

Was this the ECS A960M-M3 board you have in your sig? What was the procedure that you used for clearing the CMOS?

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

Was this the ECS A960M-M3 board you have in your sig? What was the procedure that you used for clearing the CMOS?

Hey,

Yes it was, it's been two years without trouble on the board.

I did what the instructions said and I moved the cap on the CMOS head over one.

Hit run, didn't do anything. Put it back where it belonged and it still didn't do anything.

Thanks,

Patrick

do you have an internal speaker for beep codes?

Zalman Z9 Plus - GTX 660 TI - i5 2500k @ 4ghz - MSI 1155 Intel P67 - Corsair CMPSU-750HX - 16GB G.Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 - Seagate ST3500413AS 500GB - Seagate ST2000DL003 2TB Backup Storage -  Old CBA to change it.

Hey,

I've plugged in a second CPU and the exact samething happens. I've removed my Ram, GPU, and HDD's so that nothing will get damaged when testing.

I've got a very limited budget to fix this and I have to fix it soon.

No beeping sounds, no error lights. Here is exactly what happens.

Hit start button.

CPU and PSU fan starts and stops really quickly.

Nothing else happens.

The fans only start on the first power press after plugging in.

If you need anymore details, please let me know.

Thanks,

Patrick

Check if your motherboard is isolated from the case and it's not shortening anything. Try removing it from the case and test it outside it. 
Also check online for some guides on how to test your PSU if it's functioning properly.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

O.K. here is the proper procedure for clearing the bios on your motherboard. The manual does a very poor job of giving the proper instruction for it.

1. remove power cord from power supply

2. remove the cmos battery.

3. remove the cmos jumper from the default connection on pins 1&2 and place it on the same header only on pins 2&3.

4. leave on jumper for 15 seconds

5. remove jumper from cmos header  and place back on pins 1&2

6. re-install cmos battery

7. put power cord back into power supply

8. boot system into bios and configure bios to your specific needs.

If you have no specific bios settings that need to be changed then just set the time and save setting and boot.

Hope that this helps.

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

Hey,

do you have an internal speaker for beep codes?

Probably not, it's a cheap board in an OEM compaq case.

Check if your motherboard is isolated from the case and it's not shortening anything. Try removing it from the case and test it outside it. 
Also check online for some guides on how to test your PSU if it's functioning properly.

Captain_WD.

I've done that, also did the same with a new CPU and PSU.

O.K. here is the proper procedure for clearing the bios on your motherboard. The manual does a very poor job of giving the proper instruction for it.

1. remove power cord from power supply

2. remove the cmos battery.

3. remove the cmos jumper from the default connection on pins 1&2 and place it on the same header only on pins 2&3.

4. leave on jumper for 15 seconds

5. remove jumper from cmos header  and place back on pins 1&2

6. re-install cmos battery

7. put power cord back into power supply

8. boot system into bios and configure bios to your specific needs.

If you have no specific bios settings that need to be changed then just set the time and save setting and boot.

Hope that this helps.

Luckily i'm not much of a bios tweaker.

Going to test this and hope it works.

Thanks,

Patrick

If this was the issue then it should boot..........

If this was the issue then it should boot..........

Hey,

Just tried this, same results.

Looks like it's just time for a new board.

Thanks,

Patrick

Worth a try...... sorry for the bad news..........