microSD based secure computer - Google Project Vault

from http://techcrunch.com/2015/05/29/googles-project-vault-is-a-secure-computing-environment-on-a-micro-sd-card-for-any-platform/#.cedavt:RY2J

Posted

16 hours ago

by Darrell Etherington @etherington

Not mentioned in mega list below

Project Vault is a secure computer contained entirely on a micro SD sized device. Google’s ATAP said the micro SD format made sense because there’s already advanced security features on your phone, contained in the SIM card, which protects the things important to carriers. Vault is designed to be an equivalent, but designed to project a user’s important content.

They went with the micro SD form factor so that they could have more data throughput to project video, and they wanted storage (Vault has 4GB of data storage on board) and they wanted modularity, so you could take it wherever you wanted.

Onboard the Vault itself is an ARM processor running ARTOS, a secure operating system focused on privacy and data security. It also has anNFC chip and an antenna (for proving that you are in control and that it’s correctly authorized). Finally, there’s a suite of cryptographic services, including hashing, signing, batch encryption and a hardware random number generator.

google-io-2015-atap0072.jpg?w=80&h=60&crgoogle-io-2015-atap0073.jpg?w=80&h=60&crgoogle-io-2015-atap0075.jpg?w=80&h=60&crgoogle-io-2015-atap0076.jpg?w=80&h=60&crgoogle-io-2015-atap0077.jpg?w=80&h=60&crgoogle-io-2015-atap0078.jpg?w=80&h=60&crgoogle-io-2015-atap0079.jpg?w=80&h=60&cr

Vault provides two-factor auth in a way that’s easy enough for anyone to use, and developers don’t have to do anything to get stuff ready to work with it – the system sees it as generic storage device with a standard file system.

Said file system includes just two files, one for read and one for write, that any app has to go through in order to communicate with Vault. This also means that it works with any operating system, including Android, Windows, OS X and Linux, since essentially it’s just a generic storage device to the host computer or phone.

Today, ATAP is releasing the open source development kit so that people can understand and test it prior to it going live. They’ve also built an enterprise-targeted first product version that’s being used internally at Google right now, and there are plans to eventually make consumer-focused hardware, too.

In a demo, ATAP showed how Vault could be used to secure a chat conversation. Once the Vault micro SD is installed, the chat application just opens the virtualized two-file system with the read/write I/O. Vault takes care of encrypting the message and then sending it though as cypher text. The phones automatically decrypt the conversation, but never actually see any keys or algorithms on either end.

Oh Google, we know you're all about getting our data.  It's the core of your entire business model.  Why would you think we'll believe anything you do to improve our privacy and our data's security? 

I wonder how many backdoors they've built in for themselves and certain government agencies.

Oh Google, we know you're all about getting our data.  It's the core of your entire business model.  Why would you think we'll believe anything you do to improve our privacy and our data's security? 

I wonder how many backdoors they've built in for themselves and certain government agencies.

I'd still be more willing to trust their backdoors  over anyone elses.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

http://www.pale.org/?p=5669

Is this the ARTOS the article is talking about?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I was impressed when Intel put a whole computer on a standard SD card a while back. Guess we've progressed already.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi