Open World Games freeze

Yesterday I was playing The WItcher 3 and after playing it for about 30 minutes my main monitor froze and blue squares appeared all over the screen (on both monitors). The same thing happened in Guild Wars 2, but after five minutes instead. It also happened the minute I entered WoW. It doesn't happen when I play CSGO or hearthstone, so I guess it has something to do with open world games. Maybe its because they require more ram? I don't know. 

The GPU status in device manager says it's working properly, I've tried tried setting the power management mode to prefer maximum performance on the games, I've reinstalled the graphics driver with a clean install, I've installed all important updates in Windows Update, I've tried installing an older version of the graphics driver with a clean install, I've taken the video card stability test and the same thing happened after a couple of seconds.

Do you know a way to fix this?

PC specs:

- Gainward Geforce GTX 770

-Intel Core i7 4770 3.40GHz

-16,GB RAM

-Corsair 600W PSU

Thanks for any help.

post-232346-0-06936000-1432976145_thumb.

I have a feeling that 

A. You have CSGO frame rate limited and it does not use the gpu at 100%

B. The open world games are using more vram and that is the culprit, but I think more A. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Go do a core burn test and a memory burn test in something like Kombustor or FurMark and see if you get artifacting there.

Go do a core burn test and a memory burn test in something like Kombustor or FurMark and see if you get artifacting there.

idk if furmark does it but OCCT pretty reliably will tell you if there's a problem with it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Did you overclock your GPU? If yes downclock it or reset everything to default.

Or the GPU is dying, to be sure do stress test.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I have a feeling that 

A. You have CSGO frame rate limited and it does not use the gpu at 100%

B. The open world games are using more vram and that is the culprit, but I think more A. 

Yes the frame rate is limited at csgo, i think.

Did you overclock your GPU? If yes downclock it or reset everything to default.

Or the GPU is dying, to be sure do stress test.

No, I haven't overclocked my GPU.

idk if furmark does it but OCCT pretty reliably will tell you if there's a problem with it. 

I can't run it in infinite mode so should I use the automatic mode? For how long?

No, I haven't overclocked my GPU.

Try to set everything down to low, if it's fixed then try to crank it up again until problem appears again. Then go back to the "Safe" settings.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

When I ran the furmark GPU test the screen froze again. Even when I had low-resolution. And the same thing with the OCCT test.

I tried to underclock it by 100MHz, but it didnt work. I've ran the Furmark and OCCT tests a couple of times now, and once the GPU temp got up to 81 degrees celsius.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rx54iexbj09gu6z/AADW5egpl5mlnIb_MR8oIippa?dl=0

Here's the OCCT test pics. The CPU temperatures where at 95 celsius when the OCCT stopped the test. And the GPU was at 82.

Those temps are monstrous. I take it your 4770 has the stock Intel cooler?

Might be time for something a bit beefier if your case has poor ventilation. Maybe even just new thermal paste.

Your GPU could probably use a cleaning too but it sounds like its goose is cooked already.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Here's the OCCT test pics. The CPU temperatures where at 95 celsius when the OCCT stopped the test. And the GPU was at 82.

There's an option for the GPU test, error check. Check that box and run it for 10 minutes or so. 

Sorry, I should have been clear about that. 

Then tell me if the test shows any errors on screen before you cancel it. 

muh specs 

All parts black

That temperature is a tad bit high, if the error check suggested by Syntaxvgm doesn't return much, I suggest checking your coolings, are the fans gathering too much dust? Fans dying? Coolers inadequate? Thermal paste dying? When was the last time you clean/check your computer?

I've seen this happening due to overclocking (not in your case) and heat (also faulty cards can cause it).

Those temps are monstrous. I take it your 4770 has the stock Intel cooler?

Might be time for something a bit beefier if your case has poor ventilation. Maybe even just new thermal paste.

Your GPU could probably use a cleaning too but it sounds like its goose is cooked already.

Yes, I do have the stock intel cooler. I have three fans, and the one at the back has started to act weird, sometimes it starts going faster for no reason.

That temperature is a tad bit high, if the error check suggested by Syntaxvgm doesn't return much, I suggest checking your coolings, are the fans gathering too much dust? Fans dying? Coolers inadequate? Thermal paste dying? When was the last time you clean/check your computer?

I've seen this happening due to overclocking (not in your case) and heat (also faulty cards can cause it).

I cleaned the CPU cooler and the GPU fans yesterday with some q-tips, I also cleaned the bottom of my cabinet with an old sock. But except from that, no. Fans dying? Maybe^. When I took the CPU cooler of the termal paste seemed ok, but I'm going replace it anyway. 

I do have an Corsair CX600 PSU and I read on other threads that the CX600 can damage the graphics card/ other components. Some said that it would only last for 1-2 years.

There's an option for the GPU test, error check. Check that box and run it for 10 minutes or so. 

Sorry, I should have been clear about that. 

Then tell me if the test shows any errors on screen before you cancel it. 

I did two tests one with DirectX11 and one with DirectX9. The DirectX11 one was a bit wierd, don't think it worked, the log pics doesn't show anything except for the CPU usage, frequencies and memory usage. It says user cancelled after 1min and 2 secs. But the DirectX9 one worked. Sky-high temps as usual.

Log pics Directx9: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ozl2fitkmn1qwi1/AADGANKiwXjoyFFdPRNhsspra?dl=0