Questions About Cluster Computing

This summer I intend to start a cluster with a combination of desktops I find on Craigslist and a some I build myself for a rendering rig as I do a lot of premiere, photoshop, and a BUNCH of 3D modeling/animation. I have been looking through videos and forums for a few weeks now with SO MANY QUESTIONS about cluster computing and had almost none of them adequately answered. Here are a few.

1.) Can multiple gpu's be passed through from separate systems? not for SLI, but for separate use, like CUDA.

2.) Can different nodes have different CPU vendors? (Ex: 3 with Intel, 2 with AMD)

3.) Cores or clocks? Should i rather get fx-6300's for more cores or pentium g3258's for overclocking/price (for multiple nodes)

4.) Proxmox or Xenserver? Xenserver DEFINITELY wins when it comes to simplicity and user friendliness, Proxmox seems like it has more room for advanced functionality and that sexy ability to access from the internet if forwarded correctly.

5.) With multiple cpus from diff vendors, in the VM, what would the cpu come up as (GenericXenCPU1?) and what drivers would I need?

one last question that doesn't really have to do with me, but more with everyone else.

7.) Why doesn't everyone use cluster computing? I see all these people who get a new rig and throw the old one in an old room to rot. Why not make them nodes and use them both?

Hope the forums can help, as this is my first non-giveaway-related post here even though ive been watching LMG since its creation.

#JakobyGames

1. I dont believe so.

2. I think so.

3. Why not both? But in term of modeling and rendering purposes, I would get more cores.

4. Xenserver for sure

5. I have no idea.

7. The idea scares people away I guess, plus I dont see many tutorials or troubleshooting video online. I guess they prefer the simplicity of a single computer. Although, as a graphic designer, 3d artist, and video editing guru, I completely understand the purpose. Why not just make a render farm? It would cost less money i would think.

This seems like something that Linus needs to go over in one of his videos, either a guide or an "As Fast As Possible" either way soory that I don;t have an answer for any of those question, try PMing Linus about it, it's worth a shot...

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Trooper for the vague answers. In all seriousness that was more of an answer than ive gotten anywhere else. As for flip1012, i will DEFINITELY try that and it really sounds like a good fast as possible if not a full blown LTT series. "Scrapyard Wars 3: Cluster Computing" Sounds like something that might just work, thanks for all the help, except you embattled, you have failed me.

#JakobyGames

Thank you Trooper for the vague answers. In all seriousness that was more of an answer than ive gotten anywhere else. As for flip1012, i will DEFINITELY try that and it really sounds like a good fast as possible if not a full blown LTT series. "Scrapyard Wars 3: Cluster Computing" Sounds like something that might just work, thanks for all the help, except you embattled, you have failed me.

I had similar questions, being a designer I also work heavily in Illustrator, PS and Indesign, and was wondering if my Spare 3770 rig can handle any rendering/processing workload as its just lying idle.

I don't really know too many specifics on the subject, but it intrigues me from a cost to performance standpoint. What kind of scaling is there? How do you think getting a lot of FX 8350's would compare to one or two xeons? Can you easily add more pc's to the system? Is there a limit? 

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

This summer I intend to start a cluster with a combination of desktops I find on Craigslist and a some I build myself for a rendering rig as I do a lot of premiere, photoshop, and a BUNCH of 3D modeling/animation. I have been looking through videos and forums for a few weeks now with SO MANY QUESTIONS about cluster computing and had almost none of them adequately answered. Here are a few.

1.) Can multiple gpu's be passed through from separate systems? not for SLI, but for separate use, like CUDA.

2.) Can different nodes have different CPU vendors? (Ex: 3 with Intel, 2 with AMD)

3.) Cores or clocks? Should i rather get fx-6300's for more cores or pentium g3258's for overclocking/price (for multiple nodes)

4.) Proxmox or Xenserver? Xenserver DEFINITELY wins when it comes to simplicity and user friendliness, Proxmox seems like it has more room for advanced functionality and that sexy ability to access from the internet if forwarded correctly.

5.) With multiple cpus from diff vendors, in the VM, what would the cpu come up as (GenericXenCPU1?) and what drivers would I need?

one last question that doesn't really have to do with me, but more with everyone else.

7.) Why doesn't everyone use cluster computing? I see all these people who get a new rig and throw the old one in an old room to rot. Why not make them nodes and use them both?

Hope the forums can help, as this is my first non-giveaway-related post here even though ive been watching LMG since its creation.

1 I don't think so. The nodes don't share resources since they're more or less unaware of each other. (or at least should be unaware.)

2 Yes you can do what ever component configs you can get. However it is generally better to have similar parts that way 1 node doesn't lower the effectiveness of the cluster. e.g. a large complex task is given to a low end dual core rather than a monstrous 18 core.

3 Cores all the way. more cores = more simultaneous tasks.

4 not sure.

5 not sure.

7 (what happened to 6?) I think its more so complexity or unaware/educated.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz