Lenovo's projector phone beams a touchscreen onto any surface

Aniallation

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/28/lenovo-smart-cast-laser-projector-smartphone/

Looks like the "concept" smartphones of only a few years ago are starting to hit the market. However I wonder how this lack of tactile feedback will be, and how well they've actually implemented the "touch" functionality into the projector and/or the projected image.

lenovo-smart-cast-f.jpg

Smartphones with built-in projectors -- well, just the two from Samsung, really -- haven't exactly been a huge hit so far, but Lenovo thinks it's finally got the right use case for this combination: beaming a touchscreen or virtual keyboard onto your desk. Announced at the Lenovo Tech World conference today is the Smart Cast, the world's first smartphone with an integrated focus-free laser projector, as opposed to the DLP tech on existing pico projectors. In addition to the usual wall projection mode, there's a "surface mode" that requires twisting the projector cap at the top (to enable reflection), propping up the phone with its kickstand, and then you'll have a projected touchscreen -- be it a virtual piano, a virtual keyboard or even Fruit Ninja -- right in front of you. Alas, that's all the info we've got so far.

"Rawr XD"

Thats some pretty fancy shit.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

yay for another proof of concept product that is cool, but in reality almost no one will buy.

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

reminds me of the keyboard projector where its all red

lol the battery will last minutes with that thing on

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I have a camcorder with a built in projector. Honestly, unless you find a flat white surface in a decently dark room, the colors will be washed out and not all that great. If you do find one though it's a neat feature to have to share a just recorded video with multiple people.

Cool shit.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Cool looking and all, but I think I'd be driven mad by the "feel", or rather lack it from hitting the surface with no feedback.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.